Williams talks about The Force Awakens

TownerFan

Considering the expectations riding on this, I'm sure JW is challenging himself to reinvent a new language for the film, just as he did with TPM. I don't expect to hear much autopilot.

Considering the expectations with this film, I'm sure JW is challenging himself to reinvent a new language for this film, just as he did with TPM. I don't expect to hear much autopilot.

Agreed.

There are some scenes where we do make reference to earlier thematic pieces. We haven’t done it yet, but we’re planning to do it. It’s something that I think will seem very natural and right in the moments for which we’ve chosen to do these kinds of quotes. There aren’t many of them, but there are a few that I think are important and will seem very much a part of the fabric of the piece in a positive and constructive way.

This quote is very encouraging to me.

I know the material--I think I do. I have my take on it, so to speak; I have my feelings about it. So I haven’t had to consult the old scores. It’s really been a comfortable transition in each case.

Of course he can autopilot. Why couldn't he autopilot?

Though why is JW doing the Hitler salute?

He isn't doing it very well. There's a number of current Austrian politicians who could teach him how to do it properly...

He's waving to somebody. That's all.

You people and your Nazi-driven context clues.

"Just do your thing" is the best instruction Williams could have possibility been given. JJ knows what he is doing. Williams does not need to be micromanaged. This will be the freshest SW score since TPM--perhaps even the freshest score period. I'd bet the proportion of old themes to new will be about the same as TPM as well, which I thought was just about right.

I don't know if one has been--that is not the point. The point is the JJ could have gone that route. I was worried about such things after the LSO and intermittent scoring sessions announcement.

"We’ve had a few preliminary meetings, and I’ve played him some music at the piano, which he seemed to like very much."

I would like to see footage similar to the E.T. meetings with Spielberg!

So, what John Williams says here about writing in a sequel score being like adding a paragraph to a letter?

That's something you will never hear a film composer say 30 years from now.

Anakins Theme, DOTF....

Thats it, right?

Trade Federation theme, Qui-Gon's theme, Flag Parade.

I'm not going to judge the score based on number of themes, new or old. It's about how they are used. The execution is most important.

This.

His latest instruction to me was, “Just do your thing.”

Sounds like Snyder's and Nolan's instructions to Hans Zimmer on Man Of Steel: "It's just another movie, Hans, get real!"

Sounds like lazy direction, too. Williams isn't god, who can do no wrong. Give the man inspiration, your vision, and not just "do your own thing". Lincoln and Book Thief were meandering as fuck, give the man a challenge!

You seem very eager to dismiss it. Perhaps you are a Nazi?

:mellow:

I did Nazi that coming.

STAR WARS, SCHMAR WARS.....great to see him mentioning CINDERELLA LIBERTY. Oh, how I wish we'd get an extended interview that went deeper into his past.

As much as the nostalgia would be lovely in scenes with Leia's Theme, Luke and Leia's theme, Leia and Hans love theme, and the force, I really want it to be as much new stuff as possible! Small statements of a 30 seconds each for a scene for those characters is enough. Total time would be around 5 minutes of old stuff then we can get over an hour of new stuff! Depending on the length of the album.

I've been championing Abrams to tell Williams what he wants and how he wants it to be a good director. If he doesn't 'Direct' Williams then he's not doing a very good job. It makes me wonder how he 'Directed' every one else. Did he say to Disney "do what you want?" Did he say to Harrison "do what you do best." He needs to 'direct' his vision rather than give people free rein

I've been championing Abrams to tell Williams what he wants and how he wants it to be a good director. If he doesn't 'Direct' Williams then he's not doing a very good job. It makes me wonder how he 'Directed' every one else. Did he say to Disney "do what you want?" Did he say to Harrison "do what you do best." He needs to 'direct' his vision rather than give people free rein

" Ive been very impressed with him in meetings with a great variety of people. His generalship is assured and warm and inviting and inclusive. "

Isn't that kind of free but supportive creative environment in which a composer would thrive in? It is not like Abrams just said Williams "Just do your thing." without having those spotting sessions and discussing the music with him first. I think the suggestion to "Just do you thing." came afterwards meaning there would not be continual micromanaging of his work like with most modern film productions. It is a show of trust, not of lax management on Abrams' past I think.