A.I. Artificial Intelligence (2001) - 2015 3CD set from La-La Land Records

Jay

On 6/17/2015 at 3:43 AM, filmmusic said:

Jay, now that you have listened to it, howe about those concert versions of the A.I. theme?

Do they have any kind of development with passages not found elsewhere in the soundtrack, or it's theme and repeat(s) with different texture/orchestration?

Well, I'm not really sure what to say. I mean, you have already had the "A.I. Theme (Vocal Version)" track for 14 years, since its on the original OST inside "The Search For The Blue Fairy". So you know what that is, and the "A.I. Theme (Instrumental)" is the exact same music without the vocal line. Actually, it seems as though the harp picks up the melody line in that version.

On 6/17/2015 at 3:43 AM, filmmusic said:

Also, does it explain in the liner notes that part 2 of Journey through the ice is the original cue, and part 1 is the alternate?

Why did they choose this labelling?

It is incorrect to call one of them the original and one of them the alternate. They were both written around the same time, and both recorded on the same day. So all along it was the intention to provide the director with two different musical ideas for the scene. The final film uses the opening of Version 2 and the ending of Version 1, so logically they put Version 2 first as Part 1 and Version 1 second as Part 2. And yes, there is a section in the back of the booklet that lists all the original slate and cue names and recording dates.

Jay, now that you have listened to it, howe about those concert versions of the A.I. theme?

Do they have any kind of development with passages not found elsewhere in the soundtrack, or it's theme and repeat(s) with different texture/orchestration?

Well, I'm not really sure what to say. I mean, you have already had the "A.I. Theme (Vocal Version)" track for 14 years, since its on the original OST inside "The Search For The Blue Fairy". So you know what that is, and the "A.I. Theme (Instrumental)" is the exact same music without the vocal line. Actually, it seems as though the harp picks up the melody line in that version.

Oh, yes, i see they only have 15 seconds of difference so I guess it's more or less the same with the part in the ost. I thought it was expanded.

Also, does it explain in the liner notes that part 2 of Journey through the ice is the original cue, and part 1 is the alternate?

It is incorrect to call one of them the original and one of them the alternate. They were both written simultaneously, and both recorded on the same day. So all along it was the intention to provide the director with two different musical ideas for the scene. The final film uses the opening of Version 2 and the ending of Version 1, so logically they put Version 2 first as Part 1 and Version 1 second as Part 2. And yes, there is a section in the back of the booklet that lists all the original slate and cue names and recording dates.

i don't see what is incorrect.

You said yourself, 2 different ideas for the same scene.

ok then, let's call it version 1 and version 2.

( i guess labelling it original and alternate seems like he wrote an original that it was rejected, and then he wrote an alternate).

How do you know they were both written simultaneously? Does it say in the liner notes the exact day Williams wrote each cue? :blink:

Oh, yes, i see they only have 15 seconds of difference so I guess it's more or less the same with the part in the ost. I thought it was expanded.

Read Mike Matessino's interview again, this was already clarified two weeks ago:

apart from the first 20 seconds, listeners have heard the vocal version already! On the original album track “The search for the Blue Fairy,” there is an edit from the cue as heard in the film to this “A.I. Theme.”

It is incorrect to call one of them the original and one of them the alternate. They were both written simultaneously, and both recorded on the same day. So all along it was the intention to provide the director with two different musical ideas for the scene. The final film uses the opening of Version 2 and the ending of Version 1, so logically they put Version 2 first as Part 1 and Version 1 second as Part 2. And yes, there is a section in the back of the booklet that lists all the original slate and cue names and recording dates.

i don't see what is incorrect.

You said yourself, 2 different ideas for the same scene.

ok, then, let's call it version 1 and version 2.

( i guess labelling it original and alternate seems like he wrote an original that it was rejected, and then he wrote an alternate).

How do you know they were both written simultaneously? Does it say in the liner notes the exact day Williams wrote each cue? :blink:

You're confusing me, I don't understand exactly what your problem is. No, there's no way to know the exact day that Williams started and finished work on the writing of each version. But the cold hard fact is that one was always labeled Version 1 and one was always labeled Version 2 and both versions were recorded on March 7th. And that in the final cut of the film, Spielberg chose the first 2:30ish of Version 2 to be followed by the final 2:30ish of Version 1 for the final cut of the scene.

Are you asking why both versions are in the main program instead of one being in the main and one in the bonus section? Who cares! The flow of all three discs is great; This is the program Mike Matessino assembled that John Williams and Steven Spielberg approved and I wouldn't change a thing. It's great.

Read Mike Matessino's interview again, this was already clarified two weeks ago:

Yes, I read and remembered that the Search for Blue Fairy used the A.I. theme.

But that didn't necessarily mean that it used the complete cue! It wasn't clarified.

The concert version could have been 6 minutes long and they used 3 minutes of it. (that's why I asked if the A.I. theme is expanded)

I hadn't noticed the durations. Now that I did, it seems they're almost identical, so yes, it seems the A.I. theme was in the OST almost complete. (sans those 15 seconds which might be an introduction or something)

You're confusing me, I don't understand exactly what your problem is. No, there's no way to know the exact day that Williams started and finished work on the writing of each version. But the cold hard fact is that one was always labeled Version 1 and one was always labeled Version 2 and both versions were recorded on March 7th. And that in the final cut of the film, Spielberg chose the first 2:30ish of Version 2 to be followed by the final 2:30ish of Version 1 for the final cut of the scene.

Are you asking why one is in the main program instead of one being in the bonus section? Who cares! The flow of all three discs is great; This is the program Mike Matessino assembled that John Williams and Stephen Spielberg approved and I wouldn't change a thing. It's great.

I don't have a problem with anything.

I just asked if they clarified in the liner notes that those 2 cues aren't really a part 1 and a part 2 of one large cue, but 2 versions of the same cue.

Ok, I called it original and alternate.

You disagreed with this so let's call it then version 1 and version 2.

It's the same thing to me..

He wrote one cue first, and another second.

Mike Matessino clarified 2 weeks ago only 20 seconds of the track were unreleased... and on the same day, the track times were posted that indicates the full tracks are 4 minutes each.

Yes. The back of the booklets indicates they are "version 1" and "version 2". As I said, all the original slate and cue names are listed in the back of the booklet.

No! That's the point! It was always the intention to provide two takes on the same scene! This wasn't a case where one was recorded and synced to picture, the director didn't like it, so another was commissioned. This is a case where from the beginning it was the intention to provide the director with 2 different musical options for a scene, so both were written, and both were recorded on the same day.

I feel like we are going around in circles here! Are you not reading my posts carefully enough?

Mike Matessino clarified 2 weeks ago only 20 seconds of the track were unreleased...

Ok, you're right. Didn't remember that part.

No! That's the point! It was always the intention to provide two takes on the same scene! This wasn't a case where one was recorded and synced to picture, the director didn't like it, so another was commissioned. This is a case where from the beginning it was the intention to provide the director with 2 different musical options for a scene, so both were written, and both were recorded on the same day.

I feel like we are going around in circles here! Are you not reading my posts carefully enough?

Hahaha!!

OK.

the confusion is this:

When i say original and alternate I am not suggesting that he wrote one, it was rejected and then he wrote another one. (like you say)

I'm just suggesting that he wrote version 1 eg. from Monday to Wednesday and version 2 from Thurdsay to Saturday! :lol:

So, one came first, and the other came 2nd. ;)

His first idea was the Version 1 cue, and his second idea was the Version 2 cue.

I had also written 2 versions of a cue for a director to hear both and choose what he likes.

I called the first original, and the 2nd an alternate.

Nothing wrong with that in my book.

The confusion lies in the way we (you and me) use these terms.

From what I understand you would use the label "alternate" ONLY if an original cue was rejected.

OK.

Let's leave it at that.

Mike Matessino clarified 2 weeks ago only 20 seconds of the track were unreleased...

DUDE, I quoted that part for you in bold in post #905! Come on!!!

Hahaha!!

OK.

the confusion is this:

When i say original and alternate I am not suggesting that he wrote one, it was rejected and then he wrote another one. (like you say)

I'm just suggesting that he wrote version 1 eg. from Monday to Wednesday and version 2 from Thurdsay to Saturday! :lol:

So, one came first, and the other came 2nd. ;)

His first idea was the Version 1 cue, and his second idea was the Version 2 cue.

And I already said there is no way we'll ever know which days he started and finished writing each version. All we know is they were recorded on the same day, so as soon as Spielberg sat down for the first time to put music to that scene, he had both versions available to him to chose from.

Why are you so hung up on this??

Which are your top 5 cues from the movie?

Mine are:

1. Abandoned in the Woods

2. David's Arrival

3. The Reunion

4. Monica's Plan

5. The Mecha World

But like I said many times, the whole score is a masterpiece (almost) on the same level as E.T., Jaws, and Hook.

A.I. > Jaws >>> E.T. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Hook

Why are you so hung up on this??

OCD! OCD!

A.I. > Jaws >>> E.T. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Hook

Oh no you didn't!

video-undefined-22EC86C300000578-53_636x

My most played tracks from the new set are:

The Mecha World (Extended)

David Studies Monica

Monica's Plan

Abandoned In The Woods (Extended)

Journey to Rouge City

Immaculate Heart

To Manhattan

A.I. Theme (Instrumental Version)

Inside Dr. Know's

DUDE, I quoted that part for you in bold in post #905! Come on!!!

I must be blind!

Was it there from the start?

I honestly didn't see it.

The Mecha World is definitely my favourite. After that it becomes fuzzy

Karol

Fuzzy in a good way or bad?
Like I can't really tell which ones would folllow TMW.

Karol

The Mecha World is definitely my favourite. After that it becomes fuzzy

Karol

Fuzzy in a good way or bad?
Like I can't really tell which ones would folllow TMW.

Karol

Ah gotcha.

I think Inside Dr. Know's is one of the most unique tracks John Williams has ever written. I'm surprised LLL didn't chose to make it a sample track.

Well it is somewhere between sound effects and music really. But as such really unique in Williams' ouvre. It is interesting that Spielberg turned to Williams for this little piece instead of just giving the job to the sound department.

Yes, it began shipping right away on Tuesday. They've had it in stock since last week.

Couldn't resist much longer, hit the order button.

Here's hoping international shipping is reasonably speedy for $20! :P

I think I have gotten one of LLLs packages in record 3 days after it was shipped but a week is about the normal time from US to Finland for them.

That would be great if I got it before the weekend. I got the order confirmation obviously right away and a thank you email like an hour and a half later, but no shipping notification. I'm nervous with anticipation!

Whenever I order a new LLL release right at release time on a Release Tuesday, I always get it in Massachusetts on that Thursday.

That I do not know. I would guess since LLL had theirs last week, the resellers have theirs by now but I'm no expert.

You would think so. MovieMusic, who I didn't go with, had priority shipping available for a higher price. You wouldn't think they would have guaranteed 3-4 day shipping if they didn't have the stock on hand.

You would think so. MovieMusic, who I didn't go with, had priority shipping available for a higher price. You wouldn't think they would have guaranteed 3-4 day shipping if they didn't have the stock on hand.

maybe they had a notice like MusicBox that shipments begin as soon as they receive stock?

by the way, wow!

In SAE's top weekly cds A.I. comes 3rd after Lost Weekend and Indecent Proposal.

Maybe things change until the end of the week.

I think Inside Dr. Know's is one of the most unique tracks John Williams has ever written.

Well it is somewhere between sound effects and music really. But as such really unique in Williams' ouvre. It is interesting that Spielberg turned to Williams for this little piece instead of just giving the job to the sound department.

I did not even know that the music during the Dr. Know sequence was composed by the Maestro. That is so cool.

I think Inside Dr. Know's is one of the most unique tracks John Williams has ever written.

I did not even know that the music during the Dr. Know sequence was composed by the Maestro. That is so cool.

I listened to the music in the film, and some passages seem like something Goldsmith would write.

Eg. like in Runaway.

I ordered from MovieMusic and got a notice around 6:30pm EST yesterday that it had shipped. So it would seem they at least already had copies in stock.

Top 5 cues for me (without having listened to the new set):

-Hide and Seek

-Monica's Plan/Abandoned in the Woods (I cheated)

-Journey to Rouge City

-Remembering David Hobby

-What Is Your Wish

I love that little comical moment for Gigolo Joe towards the beginning of the Journey to Rouge City track. Those little things only Williams does so well

Listening now...this is freaking gorgeous! I hope they give WOTW the same treatment. Also, I notice the roster of the players have a lot of the same people attached to SWVII.

The listening experience is just right. One interesting thing. I am on track 17 and I don't think I have heard a trumpet, trombone, tuba yet. My point is this is a very reserved score. Part of what I love so much about his old scores is how they develop and evolve over time. It seems track 17 (the rising moon) is the first time we get the big orchestra and this is about 50 minutes in. I love the restraint because when the big guns fire, it packs quite the punch. I also find the ghost of kubrick looms large. The first track feels like a nod towards the 2001 Gayane (Adagio) by Khachaturian. This is the best soundtrack purchase I've made in a long while.

Lately, every CD I buy has arrived cracked or shattered, regardless of where it shipped from. I think there's a new postal worker damaging my goods! I'm sure the clam shell will be destroyed on arrival.

In this case I hope the case is not damaged...I don't even know where you'd replace a triple c.d. case

Amazon?

21AUOSaxKhL.jpg

10 Clear Triple 3 Disc CD Jewel Case

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002ROGCPE/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_6jIGvb5SF3A7G

214GqVco-GL.jpg

10 STANDARD Clear Triple 3 Disc CD Jewel Case

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0043L36A8/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_ClIGvb96SMGDB

Interesting that Williams allowed "Cybertronics" to open the score on this new album. Whenever I reordered the promo or OST to fit chronological, I always tried to put something before it as I felt it was kind of an awkward way to start the score.