A.I. Artificial Intelligence (2001) - 2015 3CD set from La-La Land Records

Jay

Edited ya'lls posts to remove the quoting. You don't really need to keep quoting when you're responding to the previous post, especially when you're repeating an enormous image each time.

Dude, SAE isn't going to reach out to you. They just ship whenever they get the items in stock.

I emailed them today and they said they have not received the rest of their stock. They think they might hear tomorrow. If they don't get word tomorrow then I'm going to cancel my order.

Why?

Dude, SAE isn't going to reach out to you. They just ship whenever they get the items in stock.

I emailed them today and they said they have not received the rest of their stock. They think they might hear tomorrow. If they don't get word tomorrow then I'm going to cancel my order.

Why?

Why? Because if LLL doesn't follow through on their stocking SAE and they sell out, then I'm screwed.

How do you know?

Hmmm, now that you mention it, it is on the way to Rouge City, isn't it?

Ok, maybe it is!

Why? Because if LLL doesn't follow through on their stocking SAE and they sell out, then I'm screwed.

I don't see that happening. The release has not nearly sold out yet, and the second pressing is already on its way it seems.

How do you know?

Hmmm, now that you mention it, it is on the way to Rouge City, isn't it?

Ok, maybe it is!

I always thought that to be a Kubrick design. It would fit right into A Clockwork Orange. So yes, it's phallic. :P

Glad I got this before the whole Greece/China fiasco. Our dollar is crashing.

And good riddance, too!

It's the end. Time for a global reset.

Yes. Suddenly A.I. doesn't seem so fantastic anymore, does it? Because Manhattan, once the dollar crashes, WILL in all likelihood look like how it's shown in the movie.

Why?

Why didn't you order from LLL in the first place? Were you worried about a cracked case?

I don't know if this was already pointed out, but the beginning of A.I. Theme recalls me alot of the beginning motif of Make Me Rainbows (from Fitzwilly, 1967)/Moonlight (from Sabrina, 1995).

This theme always comes back with variations, it seems JW loves it very much.

Blue Fairy Theme. Let's not all start calling it the AI Theme now.

well, it's the only way for all people to understand each other now since La-laland chose to call it that way.

Some people may not know which theme is which, so using the cd identification seems logical.

Nah. I disagree. The theme obviously represents the Blue Fairy (or at least what David hopes she can do for him), so everyone will know what theme you mean if you call it that.

I don't know if this was already pointed out, but the beginning of A.I. Theme recalls me alot of the beginning motif of Make Me Rainbows (from Fitzwilly, 1967)/Moonlight (from Sabrina, 1995).

They are really not the same theme, not even variations of the same theme. At most, they bear a slight resemblance, in part. ;)

Let me ask you, do you also consider the Home Alone main theme, Hedwig's Theme, and Hook's Flying Theme variations of the same theme?

They are really not the same theme, not even variations of the same theme. At most, they bear a slight resemblance, in part. ;)

Let me ask you, do you also consider the Home Alone main theme, Hedwig's Theme, and Hook's Flying Theme variations of the same theme?

I hesitated between the word "Theme" and "Motif". This is more a motif than a theme I agree.

And answering your question, No I never found any major similarities between the three themes you pointed out.

I know there is many composers or musicians on this forum, but I'm just a music lover and I'm very proud of it.

That will never prevent me of saying what I think of a certain piece, even if I'm not using the right technical terms. BTW, there's too much professors on this forum, let there be more spontaneity. ;)

Well, JW's career spans almost 6 decades, during which he wrote literally thousands and thousands of themes. Certain pieces are bound to bear similarities with each other. It's just coincidence, as likely as not, unless there's further indications to the contrary.

Well, JW's career spans almost 6 decades, during which he wrote literally thousands and thousands of themes. Certain pieces are bound to bear similarities with each other. It's just coincidence, as likely as not, unless there's further indications to the contrary.

Yes but Make me rainbows... that's the second time he refers to it (Moonlight was more obvious). The A.I. Theme (that's for Jay) only evokes the first four notes.

I know all 3 themes you are mentioning, and I disagree with you. They are slightly similar, that's it, and there's no further connections between them.

But that's just my opinion.

Nah. I disagree. The theme obviously represents the Blue Fairy (or at least what David hopes she can do for him), so everyone will know what theme you mean if you call it that.

Yup. I understand it would have been odd to call it by its manuscript name "A.I. Theme #2" in the track listing as it would have begged the question of where and what is the theme #1. But Jeff Bond mentions in the liner notes that the original name of the the Blue Fairy theme in the manuscript is A.I. Theme #2. But it doesn't take away the fact it is a theme for the Blue Fairy.

I love that AI theme. The AI theme represents a significant development in David's journey to become a real boy. In the AI theme, there's melancholy, sadness and even a dash of false hope. It's one loaded piece of music, that AI theme.

It is. It is indeed.

Just for the record, I consider AITW to be an A.I. theme also, maybe even the theme that stands above all others. The other two are just secondary (although important) A.I. themes.

The AITW theme was heard during the Oscars when A.I. was announced and its concert version is heard prominently on the DVD main menu.

It's pretty obvious.

It's limited to the first half of the film though, actually a bit less. I don't think it's any more important than the others. Also probably musically the least interesting to me.

Well, musically they are all very interesting, these 3 strong and solid "main themes" just deal with different aspects of David's journey, and they complement each other perfectly.

My personal favorite is AITW, though. Seems to me the most viscerally powerful one.

It's limited to the first half of the film though, actually a bit less.

The Blue Fairy theme is limited to the last third of the film, or even less.

Well, musically they are all very interesting, these 3 strong and solid "main themes" just deal with different aspects of David's journey, and they complement each other perfectly.

My personal favorite is AITW, though. Seems to me the most viscerally powerful one.

It's limited to the first half of the film though, actually a bit less.

The Blue Fairy theme is limited to the last third of the film, or even less.

Well of course they're all interesting, this is John's best score. That happens to interest me the least of them, though. It doesn't seem quite as singular as the rest.

And sure, the Blue Fairy theme is limited as well. That's the point. There is no real standout theme in this score as far as number of appearances. But if a case can be made for one, I don't think it's this one you've mentioned.

Well, I gotcha, it's not your favorite out of the bunch. ;)

But like I said many times, I find AITW (the concert version as well as the cue as heard in the film) endlessly fascinating and listenable. The emotional palette this piece manages to express--jealousy, desperation, rage, loneliness, etc.--is just mind-blowing.

And sure, the Blue Fairy theme is limited as well.

As is the E.T.-like theme. Actually the unobtrusive theme we might misleadingly label 'David's Theme' seems to be the most frequently used thematic device.

And sure, the Blue Fairy theme is limited as well.

As is the E.T.-like theme. Actually the unobtrusive theme we might misleadingly label 'David's Theme' seems to be the most frequently used thematic device.

Do you mean the one Bond interprets as David's theme in the liner notes, which is mainly used in the opening half and in the middle of the second act in Remembering David Hobby or the melody Bond calls "Parenting theme" and that runs through the entire film and finally forms the bridge melody for Monica's Theme in Reunion? The latter seems to be the one theme that makes appearance in all three acts.

I always saw the latter theme as a theme for David himself, not for either of his parents.

It is also in a way very similar to Empire of the Sun in that the themes (in EotS's case the whole score) all seem to relate to the central character in one way or another, David's perceptions or other people's perception of the boy, but they almost all focus on him. Where in EotS the music seemed to be the extension of the main character's state of mind in any given scene, in A.I. the score seems to be drawn to whatever perception of the robot boy is holding sway. Relatively recently Williams gave this treatment to Joey in War Horse, where again almost everything musically revolved around the horse in one way or another.

Apart from the 'big' tunes (the song, the stand-alone Blue Fairy theme, the abandonment theme) the other motifs are more loosely impressionistic i would say from my last viewing. They seem to have been applied where they made some sense but without big strictness (except for the big ones) - probably an artistic decision. The movie is hardly the most coherent.

Gut feeling tells me Williams (or Spielberg) only late in the process got to the point where they were sure what the main theme was or more to the point, which one was to be the most important. Judging from the old release it is 'Monica's Theme' but seeing the Blue Fairy theme now which they fiddled around with quite a bit i'm not so sure if it wasn't meant to have a more important role in the beginning.

I realized something. The one little piece of music missing from this set is the trailer music, although I forgot whether this was written by JW or not...

Anybody know more on this?

Yeah, that's what I meant.

Sounds a little like the Dreamworks logo theme, I thought...

Not by JW, but still nice. Kind of ephemeral with a sense of wonder...

Exaggeration much?