A.I. Artificial Intelligence (2001) - 2015 3CD set from La-La Land Records

Jay

Do they sound very different (i dont remember)? I hate having two cues (alternates) in a row. But i dont really think i cant complain here.

Yes they do.

They are entirely different.

original 7m3 is more atmospheric and static while Version II is more thematic and kinetic.

So, it seems they used in the film the kinetic opening chorus piece from Version II, but they went back to the static version for the second part of the cue.

Does anyone know how complete this release is? I mean, do you think we'll ever see a more complete release than this in the future, or is this it?

3 c.d.'s and you think it's not complete?

I don't know, that is why I asked. The number of CD's doesn't necessarily say that it is complete. The Lord of the Rings Complete Recordings for example weren't complete and had 3 CD's (even 4 for RotK), but yeah 3 CD's of A.I. sounds like it is complete, but I do not know since i'm not too familar with the score. Will purchase this regardless, I am just curious.

Selling out 3000 copies in just a few hours is kind of impossible, I guess. Also, you can order it from other outlets like SAE, Intrada or one of those. I'm sure it will last at least a few days.

It used to happen all the time!

I'll be ordering this the moment it goes on sale. If I can, I'll grab the Millenium and Bobby Fischer releases on release day too. This is like Black Friday for me. Granted, it's not all the same week but still!

3 c.d.'s and you think it's not complete?

You know better than that.

It's a great choice and it looks stellar, but I'm cautiously optimistic. They always find ways to screw these releases up when Williams is involved. All the least celebrated Spielberg films are getting expanded, so here's hoping they do The Lost World and Always next!

Look at the spread sheet!

I can't think of a single thing on the OST, on the Oscar promo, or in the film that isn't here. Looks like the most complete Spielberg expansion ever!

Fantastic news!! Insta-buy for me, as well.

Alas, some questions present themselves upon inspecting the "presumed" track list. For "The Moon Rising / The Biker Hounds", there's no indication of whether it will include the Joseph Williams source music in between the orchestral cues. Or if his other source cues are included on the release; didn't La-La Land's reissue of "The Fury" feature some of his source music? (unless he just provided vocals and his dad composed the songs).

It's good to have "Immaculate Heart" and "Inside Dr. Know's", nonetheless. We might need to keep the OST and promo for certain clean openings/endings, unless none of the cues will be crossfaded.

This is an instant buy for me. This is one of my top Williams scores and is wholly deserving of a special re-release.

Well I have been waiting 14 years for this dream to come true. And it did!

And I have every confidence Matessino and the gang produced the most comprehensive version of the release possible.

The lack of Joseph Williams music doesn't bother me at all

It might be on the set, like it did on the OST. Or some of it. It wasn't credited on that one, I think?

Not that I care, to be honest.

Still can't believe this. Hope it lasts longer than a day. :)

Karol

I think i'll take a while to sell out since it will be expensive and the 2 c.d promo floating around. Plus it's not a Williams score everyone likes and probably not much talked about outside of this board

It's really just to have a few specific cues

Nope!

It's 100% Version II! ;)

So then, I guess either Version II was never recorded, or Williams asked for the recording to not be released on this set.
Version II is promo D1T4 0.00-4.36.
Wait, what?

I thought D1T4 of the Oscar promo was 7m3 from 0:00-5:40, and then 7m5 from 5:40-end

What is 4:36-5:40 then?

Fucking hell!

The things isn't even released yet and OCD level discussion has already started!

Give normal people a chance too!

No man should snuff at the archival chance of cataloguing dozens of sweeteners and undistinguishable alternate sections into huge Google spreadsheets! It's what C&C is all about, after all.

Look at the spread sheet!

I can't think of a single thing on the OST, on the Oscar promo, or in the film that isn't here. Looks like the most complete Spielberg expansion ever!

Is it possible to post the track list and spreadsheet in first post of this thread?

The lack of Joseph Williams music doesn't bother me at all

well, for archival purproses only I'd like to have the source cues too and the electronic stuff.

Plus a version of the Journey to Rouge City with the Rosenkavalier on top as in the film (in the case that the version on the cd is the one without it)

Well the Strauss piece is a part of the score and was composed as such, same as Brahms quote in KOTCS. It was on the promo and it will be present here. Can't be otherwise.

Karol

Well the Strauss piece is a part of the score and was composed as such, same as Brahms quote in KOTCS. It was on the promo and it will be present here. Can't be otherwise.

Karol

Oh, how did I think that there was a version without it?

I guess i was wrong..

edit: I saw the scene in the film yesterday and I swear it sounded to me like they were 2 pieces edited together, one of top of the other, so I think that's why I thought there was a version without it! :P

No, Williams even says in the DVD featurette that is was always intended to be there and that Kubrick wanted it specifically.

Karol

Karol

Oh, how did I think that there was a version without it?

I guess i was wrong..

edit: I saw the scene in the film yesterday and I swear it sounded to me like they were 2 pieces edited together, one of top of the other, so I think that's why I thought there was a version without it! :P

The OST version actually removes the Rosenkavalier quote with a clumsy edit of "The Mecha World", but I remember reading back then that it had to be removed because there were issues about the rights with the Strauss estate (and I guess it was a last-minute change before the disc went to print).

However, I'm quite sure Disc 1 of the Academy promo is very likely the OST original assembly (which included the Rosenkavalier quote), before they had to change and also chose to include the pop arrangement of the main theme.

I think this is the first 3cd expansion for a Williams score ever?

"Goodbye Mr. Chips" is a 3-disc set.

I started to listen to a boot of this, but it had a lot of long periods of silence so I gave up. I'll buy this.

Turn the volume up on your hi fi! :lol:

So, this could be around $35? or more?

WHO CARES???!!! In the U.K this is the equivalent of about £20, and that makes it just about the best bargain ever!

It's worth almost that for a clean version of "Dr. Know".

I think this is the first 3cd expansion for a Williams score ever?

"Goodbye Mr. Chips" is a 3-disc set.

well, I don't count this as a 100% Williams score, since it's a score adaptation/

Do they sound very different (i dont remember)? I hate having two cues (alternates) in a row. But i dont really think i cant complain here.

Yes they do.

They are entirely different.

original 7m3 is more atmospheric and static while Version II is more thematic and kinetic.

So, it seems they used in the film the kinetic opening chorus piece from Version II, but they went back to the static version for the second part of the cue.

Here's a quick edit i did with the scene and the original first part of 7m3.

It sounds more mysterious and otherworldy to me, while the Version II that was eventually used makes it more religious in my opinion.