A.I. Artificial Intelligence (2001) - 2015 3CD set from La-La Land Records

Jay

All I hear is soprano voice(s) but not Monica's theme.

It's there. Very subtle, but there. Only the peaks of the theme are really audible though.

• 1 year later...

Some guy on NeoGAF started a thread calling this score JW's best of the 21st century. Interesting to read the thoughts of neutral fans, but most agree that Azkaban is the better score.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1276108

Either way, this was a great excuse to revisit the LLL set. What a stunning release this is, thank you MM. 

2 minutes ago, Richard said:

They're right: POA is the better score.

I have the CD, the DVD-A, and the 2-set FYC. Is the LLL an improvement in sound over these?

Yes, absolutely! They couldn't go back and change Murphy's original mixes but Matessino did a brilliant job remastering the score, cleaning up that omnipresent hiss on the OST while enhancing the finer details. The score will never have that crispness and clarity of several other JW scores from the same era, but that's a result of the recording (and was presumably intentional).

The score has never sounded as good as it does here though; I can't imagine there's any improvement left to be made.

23 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Some guy on NeoGAF started a thread calling this score JW's best of the 21st century. Interesting to read the thoughts of neutral fans, but most agree that Azkaban is the better score.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1276108

Either way, this was a great excuse to revisit the LLL set. What a stunning release this is, thank you MM. 

Philosophers Stone and TFA are better then both those.

5 hours ago, Richard said:

I have the CD, the DVD-A, and the 2-set FYC. Is the LLL an improvement in sound over these?

Yes. 

• 6 months later...

I bought this set not long after it came out but am only recently delving into it.  I like it a lot but am not overly familiar with it either.  Is there any reason to keep the OST now that I have this?  Any album arrangements or edits that are exclusive to the OST that are worth keeping?

Nothing on the soundtrack is not on the expanded set.  I guess I might keep it if I was particularly fond of the listening experience of the original album, which is distinctly different from the expanded set just by virtue of what is omitted and the order it is presented in.  I am not a fan of the original album, though, and the new set has improved sound quality as well, so I would not hold onto the original.

I realize all of the material on the OST is present on the LLL set, but are there any distinct album edits (like Rescue of the Princess from Star Wars or Incident at Isla Nublar from Jurassic Park) on the OST that have been broken up into individual cues on the LLL set.

The original album is a drastically different experience. Aside from the dreadful two versions of For Always I was rather always fond of its more tone poem-like concept album feel. It doesn't really reflect the film score as such but it's an interesting album. I like how each track almost serves as an independent miniature - each piece written in a different style. Almost reflecting the eclectic Kubrickian musical tendencies. But as a score representation it wasn't perhaps that good.

But the LLL versions is superb.

Karol

There's no point in throwing out the OST. Not only is it a great presentation, it also featured quite a few original edits not found on the LLL release: The Mecha World, Hide And Seek, The Moon Rising, Stored Memoried And Monica's Theme, Rogue City and The Search For The Blue Fairy.

51 minutes ago, crocodile said:

But the LLL versions is superb.

...and I also agree with this.

• 5 months later...

Does anyone know who provided the vocals for "The Biker Hounds (extension)"? It was interesting to notice that the phrase heard at 4:23, 6:25, and 6:42 in this song reappeared in Spielberg's film; perhaps it may be the same singer

3 minutes ago, Corellian2019 said:

Does anyone know who provided the vocals for "The Biker Hounds (extension)"? It was interesting to notice that the phrase heard at 4:23, 6:25, and 6:42 in this song reappeared in Spielberg's film; perhaps it may be the same singer

It was also used in a track of David Newman's The Phantom.  It must be part of a sample library or something.

5 hours ago, Corellian2019 said:

Interesting. The Biker Hounds piece is reportedly written by Joseph Williams, the maestro's son, so either he sampled that piece in his music or recreated that vocal line himself.

Saw this thread bumped the other day and then I couldn't shake the desire to listen to this set again.  Glorious!  Although, a noticed a couple of tracks had some skipping glitches.  I'm listening to it in my car, so I'm hoping it's my disc player and not the discs.  Haven't had time to check. :(

I listened to this set again last week for the same reason.  I think its a score I like a little more every single time I hear it

Mine arrived from La-La Land yesterday, listened to the first disc, beautiful sound and presentation. The second disc had a split in it though, but the kind people at La-La Land quick as a flash are sending a replacement. 

12 hours ago, Jay said:

I listened to this set again last week for the same reason.  I think its a score I like a little more every single time I hear it

This is one of my favourite scores period but I find that it is so emotionally exhausting it is something I want to have time to experience in its enterity in relative quietude. It deserves no less.

17 hours ago, Jay said:

I felt exactly the same with The Force Awakens

6 hours ago, Incanus said:

This is one of my favourite scores period but I find that it is so emotionally exhausting it is something I want to have time to experience in its enterity in relative quietude. It deserves no less.

Yea, its not a great work listen

2 hours ago, mstrox said:

I've listened to the expansion in full once, while I was mowing my lawn.

You must have a good sized plot of lawn to mow then. :P 

2 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I have a decent yard, and a non-motorized reel mower that is pretty narrow.

Wow!  I've never seen someone using one of those in real life!  I'm only familiar with their existence because of The Simpsons.

Homer and Ned's mow-off may have been my only frame of reference for it before I bought one.

It's super quiet, there's no reliance on gas.  The only maintenance is sharpening once or twice a year.  It keeps your lawn healthy - it's a gentle cut and doesn't cut the grass super low.  None of my white sneaks have grass stains.  My neighbors liked it enough to get one of their own.

If you have a flat yard and the time to go out once a week from April through early November, I'd recommend it.   If your yard is hilly or bumpy, it will leave a lot of gaps and blips.  If you go too long between mows, the mower will just push the tall grass down instead of clipping it.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Wow!  I've never seen someone using one of those in real life!  I'm only familiar with their existence because of The Simpsons.

Also the first thing I thought of!:lol:

• 1 year later...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOHN WILLIAMS FLASH SALE! Celebrate the legendary maestro's birthday with the newly-back-in-stock A.I. ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE: LIMITED EDITION (3-CD SET) at a special price of only $25 EACH! This offer is good until 11:59 am (pst) on 2/9.

https://lalalandrecords.com/a-i-artificial-intelligence-limited-edition-3-cd-set/

I'd been waffling on this one for a while, and the sale was just the kick in the pants I needed. Sadly, one of the discs arrived damaged, but the good folks at LLL said they're sending me a replacement for that disc. Woo hoo!

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I'm surprised the A.I. set hasn't sold out yet! I guess it's to a greater degre for connoisseurs compared to many other JW expansions.

You might not be the only one who is surprised:

On 5/26/2015 at 6:27 PM, Jay said:

3,000 copies? This is going to sell out quick.

I was also quite sceptical, when I saw that the set was limited to 3000 units.