Bespin

Here is a new thread especially to discuss the John Williams Discography.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Williams_discography

Created on Wikipedia by myself in 2012, it's the most complete JW discography that can be actually found.

It includes all the works performed by John Williams, as a performer and a conductor.

It also features a section dedicated to his discography as a composer, which features many compositions which he himself did not record.

Please help me to keep it up to date!

___

With a little advance, here's a new update in the "Compilation / Reissue albums" section:

A.I. Artificial Intelligence [Expanded Archival Collection]

La-La Land Records

3 CD-set, includes previously unreleased material.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Williams_discography#Compilation_.2F_Reissue_albums

New update :

Singles

John Williams Conducting The Boston Pops
Candide (Overture) –
America the beautiful –
This land is your land –
When the Saints go marchin' in

Polygram

DiskArt

Compilations

Boston Pops: Star Wars - The Best Of Space Music

Philips

Boston Pops: Movies

Philips

Boston Pops: Space-Taculars

Philips

Club Edition

Boston Pops: John Williams Conducts Music from the Star Wars Saga

Philips

John Williams and the Boston Pops Orchestra: A Collection

Sony Japan

Collaborations

Great Concert Halls of the World: Symphony Hall, Boston

VARIOUS ARTISTS

Some tracks conducted by John Williams/Boston Pops, Philips, Compilation.

From another thread:

The fact is that Bespin likes to see JW as someone like Michael Jackson or The Beatles, i.e. recording artists releasing albums as their primary job, hence the obsession with "discography".

Your comment is irrelevant.

I was just rechecking your wiki page, and Maurizio's comment is not only relevant, but he's completely right. As resourceful as the page may be, it's a very weird and inappropriate way of organizing a film composer's discography, and misguiding and confusing as a Wikipedia article.

I really appreciate the work you're putting in it, but I think the concept should change in order for the page to be taken seriously.

And please don't take offense. It's John Williams we are talking about, not Bespin, Ricard or Maurizio.

Okay. :)

First, It's not the first discography I did.

I must admit Wiki discographies, by convention, have their own way of organizing the releases, but it makes sense to show the original album in a single list, the compilations, and the collaborations in others. This way, we can have the real count of the "original solo studio albums" of an artist.

If I speak about my Charles Aznavour discography, Universal/Barclay took my number as a reference for the new album that Aznavour just released. It's his 51th french studio album. It's my number, according to my wiki discography. And because I'm proudly a worldwide reference, my name (Émanuel Champagne) is also credited in the "60 CD Anthology" of Aznavour that was released last year. As well, my personal webpage is mentioned in many Aznavour biographies.

Here is my Charles Aznavour Wiki discography: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Aznavour_discography

Here's my Charles Aznavour webpage: http://www.goplanete.com/aznavour/musique/disco_fr/albums.htm

If one day, I make a web JW Discography, I will show all the albums where he performs or conducts (original, compilations) in a single chronological list. The Singles will be in another page.

But let's come back to John Williams.

The particularity of his discography, is that he's also a composer, like J.S. Bach, Mozart or Beethoven.

But no, that's not quite exact.. Let's take instead the example of Prokofiev. A classical composer, that also recorded albums.

Because actually, John Williams is not only a composer. That you like it or not, he's also a performer (pianist, organist) and a successfull conductor. We can't ignore this fact.

So in this case, to be representative of this reality, we must add, in adition to the usual discography "as a performer", a section called "Discography as a Composer". Because many things JW has composed, he did not recorded them himself.

So what this wiki discography teach us? Well, it teach us that John Williams recorded 134 orignal solo studio albums.

Who before me was able to count that? It's an interesting number to have, don't you think? It's impressive, don't you think?

It mean that if you are a John Williams completist... well, start with these 134 albums. :-)

Coming back to the "Discography as a composer" section, please understand that It will NEVER be possible (and anyway it's totally irrelevant), to list EACH single albums where somebody decided to record a John Williams work. It's like trying to do a list of all Beethoven CDs. Like JW, that's impossible, the list will never we finished. In 200 years from here, people will still record his works.

So I think that in this list, the "Concerts Works" are most important thing (because JW did not record some of them personally). After that, we can list the most "relevant" or "important" hommage albums. Because, yes, there are some recordings that are more important than others.

You know, it takes a lot of time to make such a disco and I need help from collectors like you, to make sure that nothing is missing.

So thanks helping me to make this discography a true reference. :D

NOTE: I've just added some notes saying "Composed and Conducted by John Williams", because I was assuming this by default.

And BTW, here's my other discographies and catalogs:

Charles Aznavour discography: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Aznavour_discography

Charles Aznavour personal website: http://www.goplanete.com/aznavour/musique/disco_fr/albums.htm

Félix Leclerc discography (in French): http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/F%C3%A9lix_Leclerc#Discographie

Félix Leclerc Songs Catalog (in French): http://www.goplanete.com/felix/catalogue%20Felix%20Leclerc.htm

Joe Dassin Discography: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Dassin_discography

Joe Dassin Songs Catalog (in French): http://www.goplanete.com/dassin/catalogue%20Joe%20Dassin.htm

Roy Orbison Songs Catalog: http://www.goplanete.com/orbison/orbison%20catalog.htm

Well, the count of original solo studio albums may turn to 135.

I read that Heartbeeps came out in CD at the end of the 80's, only available from a club.

Does somebody have the exact reference?

I admire your persistence, Bespin, but I'm afraid I have to echo what Ricard said -- I will never use your Wiki page as a John Williams resource. Your way of organizing is simply too weird for me (it may make perfect sense to you, but not to me). I hope you don't take offense by that; we all organize differently.

For me, the perfect discography was what Jeff Eldridge did back when his site was up and running. I miss that.

I read that Heartbeeps came out in CD at the end of the 80's, only available from a club.

While I acquired a b**t of the score on cassette in 1995/96, I have never heard of a CD being released (legit or otherwise) in the 80s. Where was it that you read this?

While I acquired a b**t of the score on cassette in 1995/96, I have never heard of a CD being released (legit or otherwise) in the 80s. Where was it that you read this?

On filmtracks, but I read it again, think I just didn't understand correctly (English is not my first language).

A limited Varèse Sarabande CD Club release of only 3,000 unnumbered copies. This album was the first of three to begin a resurrection of an earlier CD Club that existed in the late 80's and early 90's. Its initial cost was $20, but it eventually sold out at soundtrack specialty outlets and escalated in price. Full index: VCL 1101-1001

Okay, I moved the entry to the "Albums" section.

Heartbeeps [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack]

Soundtrack Library

Previously unreleased score (1981); Composed and Conducted by John Williams; Reissued in 2001, Varese Sarabande CD Club.

Studio albums count: 135

Heartbeeps was NEVER released ANYWHERE legally before the Vare Club CD in 2001. What you read about is an illegal bootleg.

And I have to agree with RIcard and Thor, Bespin, I'm sorry. Your method of organizing JW's discography is just wrong. You can't treat a film composers discography the same way you would a pop or rock artist, it just doesn't work.

There's nothing wrong with having all the films he's scored in one big list; The problem with what Bespin's done is if Williams didn't happen to conduct the recording sessions, he has it listed separately, so stuff like None But The Brave and Harry Potter 2 aren't listed with the rest. Then, if a score didn't happen to have a OST release at the time of the film, he has it listed by when the specialty label happened to release it for the first time, so stuff like Black Sunday or Family Plot or Heartbeeps are listed way out of order from when Williams actually recorded them.

(...) are listed way out of order from when Williams actually recorded them.

A discography is listed by date of release.

I'm getting very tired of this, mercy. :sarcasm:

It's not a Works list.

(...) are listed way out of order from when Williams actually recorded them.

A discography is listed by date of release.

I'm getting very tired of this, mercy. :sarcasm:

You're free to organize whichever way you want, but when you put something like this out on the net for all to see (and also try to sell it as the ultimate JW discography), you must also expect people to give their opinions on it.

Personally, I tend to use Markus Hable's collection page when I need to get an overview of JW's discography:

http://mahawa.jw-music.net/start.htm

8 new entries in the "Collaborations" section (that's really the hardest section of the disco!)

Don Fagerquist: Portrait Of A Great Jazz Artist
Don Fagerquist
Piano: John T. Williams; Reissued in 2005, Fresh Sound Records.

The Sax Section
Al Cohn
Jazz Workshop Under The Direction Of Al Cohn; Piano: Johnny Williams; Reissued in 2010, Fresh Sound Records.

Los Angeles River
Russell Garcia and His Orchestra
Piano: John T. Williams; Reissued in 2005, Fresh Sound Records.

Buddy Collette's Swinging Sheperds
Buddy Collette
Piano: John T. Williams; Mercury; Reissued in 2010, Fresh Sounds Records.

Meet Mr. Roberts - George Roberts And His Big Bass Trombone
George Roberts
Piano: John T. Williams; Conducted and Arranged by John T. Williams; Columbia; Reissued in 2011 "Meet Mr. Roberts/Bottoms Up", Fresh Sound Records.

Dave Pell Remembers John Kirby
Dave Pell
Piano & Organ: Johnny Williams; P.R.I.; Reissued in 2011 "Remembers John Kirby/The Big Small Bands", Fresh Sounds Records.

Ten Trombones Like Two Pianos
Pete Rugolo and His Orchestra
Piano: John T. Williams; Reissued in 2007 in the compilation "Exploring New Sounds", Fresh Sound Records.

Lush, Latin & Cool
Marty Paich and His Jazz Piano Quartet
Piano: Johnny Williams; RCA Victor; Reissued in 1998, RCA.

I actually like having it all in one big list, but I think you need to update to include reissues.

Thanks, having all in a big list allows search by keywords or release year.

I try to note each reissues, if some are missing please tell me, thanks!

Personally, I tend to use Markus Hable's collection page when I need to get an overview of JW's discography:

http://mahawa.jw-music.net/start.htm

It's an excellent and essential website, unfortunately, this is not a discography. And it's almost an Ode to piracy (with the amount of CD-R mentions in it !)

It is very much a discography. Just not the type of discography that you prefer. Hable's site is good for overview, although it misses several titles. But in general, it's closer to the organization that I prefer.

Hmmm, I'm not sure for this one:

The Great Race - Music From The Film Score
Henry Mancini
Piano: John Williams; RCA Victor; Reissued in 1999, RCA.

New entry in "Collaborations" section:

Calypso

Harry Belafonte

Piano: John T. Williams (uncredited); RCA VIctor; Reissued in 1992, RCA; Reissued in 2014 "Calypso/Belafonte Sings The Caribbean", Jackpot Records.

New entry in "Collaborations" section:

Calypso

Harry Belafonte

Piano: John T. Williams (uncredited); RCA VIctor; Reissued in 1992, RCA; Reissued in 2014 "Calypso/Belafonte Sings The Caribbean", Jackpot Records.

This was recorded while Williams was studying in New York. However, the session with Williams seems to have taken place in LA, so it would have to be during a holiday or something -- or perhaps a visit to his 'belle' Barbara. From what we can gather, it's one of his first professional recordings.

Jimmy Raney In Three Attitudes

Jimmy Raney

Piano: John Williams; ABC-Paramount; Reissued in 2011, Fresh Sound Records.

That's not by "our" John Williams, but rather John Thomas Williams.

By the way, what's the source for the "General Eletric" and "Great Race" entries?

Jimmy Raney In Three Attitudes

Jimmy Raney

Piano: John Williams; ABC-Paramount; Reissued in 2011, Fresh Sound Records.

That's not by "our" John Williams, but rather John Thomas Williams.

By the way, what's the source for the "General Eletric" and "Great Race" entries?

Thanks, REMOVED.

The source is a french blog, called Maestro John Wiliams, not very reliable.

Of you don't have these entries in you list, I will be pleased to remove them from the disco :-)

The Jimmy Raney should in fact be removed. The other ones, I just lack any real confirmation.

As for the Al Cohn entry, I should say that it is unlikely that this is our Williams as well, taking in acount the recording location and the other musician involved -- usual colaborators of John Thomas Williams, who with one exception, recorded always in the New York area.

The Jimmy Raney should in fact be removed. The other ones, I just lack any real confirmation.

As for the Al Cohn entry, I should say that it is unlikely that this is our Williams as well, taking in acount the recording location and the other musician involved -- usual colaborators of John Thomas Williams, who with one exception, recorded always in the New York area.

Ok I will remove them too, you're the expert :-)

That's so hard, the info is actually at 1,000 and one place, it's a pretty hard job!

I need expert like you to do this, many thanks!

Bespin, we get your points. But many of us here have been collecting John Williams albums and studying his discographies for the last 30-40 years. We know how a John Williams discography should be done. And yours is simply the wrong way to organize it. So wrong that I wouldn't even know where to begin.

Williams is not Aznavour, and a soundtrack release is not an "original solo studio album". But we've already gone through that, and after reading your last reply I'm 100% sure that you're incapable of understanding this.

It's really a shame that John Williams' discography on Wikipedia is so inconveniently organized. Too bad, because the content itself is great.

(...) many of us here have been collecting John Williams albums and studying his discographies for the last 30-40 years.

That's great, now it's time to SHARE this information. ;)

It's really a shame that John Williams' discography on Wikipedia is so inconveniently organized. Too bad, because the content itself is great.

That's their standard, that's not mine (except for the "Discography as a Composer" section I added).

What section you don't understand? Let me explain it to you.

(...) many of us here have been collecting John Williams albums and studying his discographies for the last 30-40 years.

That's great, now it's time to SHARE this information. ;)

We've been sharing it for years. Where do you think much of your information comes from? ;)

That's their standard, that's not mine (except for the "Discography as a Composer" section I added).

It actually has more to do with the use you make of that standard.

What section you don't understand? Let me explain it to you.

Oh I do understand the structure, that's not the problem.

When I have a moment I'll post an example of how I think a JW discography page on Wikipedia should be done.

When I have a moment I'll post an example of how I think a JW discography page on Wikipedia should be done.

Ok, suggest your point of view. If it make sense, I will make updates.

But, I say it clear, I will never mix the discography "as a composer" with the rest, making just one big single list.

Each section say what it have to say.

What I like actually about the Wiki Disco is that "it speaks" a lot.

Each thing is a his place, depending on what you are looking for.

The particularities are underlined and very apparent, you don't have to read 2 forums and 3 collector's site to understand them.

Another thing, for a matter of clarity, the wiki disco actually focuses on original releases only.

That's great if some website concentrate on the worldwide releases, because in a collector's point of view, that may be interesing. But I doubt that any website or collector can achieve collecting all the worldwide reissues/foreing reprints.

So the goal of an "Original Discography", like the Wiki Disco actually is, is to get the original release of each album, whathever the country.

Foreign issues are included if they are particular or contains unreleased material.

It's why the Wiki disco can't replace a collector's list or website. But that's not the goal.

Depending of the amount of releases, we could add sections like "In Japan only" or "In Germany only", but for the moment I think that's not relevant for JW.

The Wiki disco is actually a compromise between clarity and relevance.

It's understandable for the general public and it can help a fan to enhance his collection, depending on what he looks for.

It has no other purpose.

Actually, regardless of what I say, you're not going to change your mind about this subject, and I don't really have time for this. No one here agrees on how it's done, but it's your list, and I respect that.

Case closed on my behalf.

Actually, regardless of what I say, you're not going to change your mind about this subject, and I don't really have time for this. No one here agrees on how it's done, but it's your list, and I respect that.

Case closed on my behalf.

No one? Are you sure of what you're saying? :blink:

Anyway, you argue, but when it's time to suggest concrete ideas, you withdraw.

It is easy to criticize. ;)

No one? Are you sure of what you're saying? :blink:

Yes.

Anyway, you argue, but when it's time to suggest concrete ideas, you withdraw.

We have suggested concrete ideas over the last few months, but you never paid attention to them, so there's no point in continuing the conversation.

It is easy to criticize. ;)

Yes, and you seem to know a lot about it.

New update (before I forgot!) in the anemic "Video Albums" section:

2015 A John Williams Celebration (Gustavo Dudamel/Los Angeles Philharmonic, John Williams as guest conductor and Itzhak Perlman on violin). C Major Entertainment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Williams_discography#Video_albums

That's a compilation Varese issued; The tracks on there from Presumed Innocent, Stanley & Iris, and The Cowboys are all from the original soundtrack recordings, since Varese issued those OSTs.

For the rest, the conductor is listed right under the track title, don't you see it?

That's a compilation Varese issued; The tracks on there from Presumed Innocent, Stanley & Iris, and The Cowboys are all from the original soundtrack recordings, since Varese issued those OSTs.

For the rest, the conductor is listed right under the track title, don't you see it?

I saw it, but I wanted a confirmation.

Thanks Jay for your usual tact. :)

BTW, it's pretty unusual to mix works conducted by John Williams himself with his works recorded by others conductors. That's in fact the first time I see this.

The other tracks on there had all come out on various Varese CDs before it.

Jason is correct. It was very common with Varese compilations to much original recordings they owned with re recordings done by the RNSO

Can you please list other compilations like this, containing a mix of John Williams conducting his music, and others conductors conducting his music too?

That interests me, thanks.

Nope.

I've your behavior towards Ricard and others to be rude and disrespectful. I decline to provide you with any info.

Do the work yourself!

Ok this thread was a bad idea.

Many Boston Pops albums have beein reissued for digital download in 2014 by Decca, they've been added to the disco.

I even found a remastered reissue of Memoirs of a Geisha in 2012. I wonder if the sound is really different?

Last year, Jurassic Park, Amistad, Saving private Ryan, Minority Report and Catch me If You Can has been reissued by Geffen for digital download too.

• 4 weeks later...

I know that it will interest less than half of you half, and that three or four of you will insist to reply that I'm wrong or bizarre, but I divided the "Collaborations and guest appearances" section.

So there's now 91 entries in this section. The audio books and various artist compilations have been moved into "Other albums" (by the way the audio book section has to be upgraded).

So the important thing to know now, and I share this with you because I'm really impressed by this number, is that John Williams (that you may consider first as a composer, a musician, an arranger, a musical director or even a God, I don't give a damn) has recorded so far 135 solo studio albums and 91 collaborative ones... ;)
For a grand total of 226 albums.

Two (very important) missing collabos where added, thanks to Miguel! ;)

Lerner and Loewe: "My Fair Lady", arranged for singers and jazz orchestra by John Williams

Dianne Reeves and Brian Stokes Mitchell

Conducted by John Williams/The Tanglewood Big Band Ensemble, recorded live at Seiji Ozawa Hall, August 9, 2004; Digital Download, BSO Release.

James Taylor And Friends

James Taylor

Conducted by John Williams/Boston Pops Esplanade Orchestra, recorded live at Koussevitzky Music Shed, August 30, 2009; Digital Download, BSO Release.

• 1 month later...

2015 marks the 50th anniversary of these three scores:

John Goldfarb, Please Come Home [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack]

Film Score Monthly

Previously unreleased score (1965); Composed and Conducted by John Williams.

11866342_1143446152337887_90460471907890

None But the Brave
Previously unreleased score (1965); Music by John Williams, Conducted by Morris Stoloff; Piano on Piano Theme Bonus Track: Johnny Williams; Film Score Monthly, FSM Vol. 12 No. 12

10959779_1032484826767354_10551688840016

Nightwatch/Killer by Night
Previously unreleased scores (1965/1972); Nighwatch's music Composed and Conducted by John Williams; Film Score Monthly.

11870897_1143420095673826_69929015025441

Williams also worked on WAGON TRAIN, CHRYSLER THEATRE, CONVOY and WHO GOES THERE? in 1965. THE KATHERINE REED STORY is also listed as a 1965 entry, but there are elements in the music that suggest it actually came out later (especially the BATMAN theme reference, which only came out in 1966).

Presumably, he also worked on some of the stuff that would eventually be released in 1966 -- Williams' most prolific year of his career (so next year is a 50th anniversary for a lot of stuff).

...and September 15, 1965, aired the first episode of "Lost in Space".

:groupwave:

LIS1_zpsa676566d.jpg

Lost in Space, Vol. 1 [Original Television Soundtrack]

GNP Crescendo

Previously unreleased score (1965); Composed and Conducted by John Williams.

MI0001952610.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Lost in Space, Vol. 3 [Original Television Soundtrack]

Previously unreleaseds score (1965-1968); GNP Crescendo.