Bespin

1 hour ago, Richard said:

One would expect Emilio to know a lot of this stuff, since he - literally - wrote the book on it.

His book concentrates more on his film music, and even then on a certain period, not his whole career. For Williams early life, Thor is probably the most knowledgeable man around.

Starting to be in Olympic mode?

I just discovered that the 1984 LP was reissued on CD only in Japan.  If I'm correct, it contains the first recording of "Olympic Fanfare And Theme", it was then re-recorded in 1987 for the "By Request..." compilation.

"Olympic Spirit" is in the same situation, there are two different recordings.

p_js39322.jpg

The Official Music Of The XXIIIrd Olympiad - Los Angeles 1984 (1984, Columbia, JS 39322)

John Williams: Olympic Fanfare And Theme.

(Reissued in 1984, Columbia, BJS 39322)

(Reissued in 1984, CBS, CBS 26048)

(Reissued in 1984, CBS/Sony/Japan, 35DP 200)

p_4201781.jpg

By Request... The Best Of John Williams And The Boston Pops Orchestra / Williams, Boston Pops Orchestra (1987, Philips Classics, 420 178-1, Compilation)

Olympic Fanfare And Theme (new recording); Liberty Fanfare (previously unreleased).

p_arcd8551.jpg

1988 Summer Olympics Album: One Moment In Time (1988, Arista, AL-8551)

John Williams: Olympic Spirit.

(Reissued in 1988, Arista, ARCD-8551)

p_sk62592.jpg

Summon The Heroes / Williams, Boston Pops Orchestra (1996, Sony Classical, SK 62592)

John Williams: Summon The Heroes, Olympic Fanfare And Theme (new recording), The Olympic Spirit (new recording).

(Reissued in 2000, Sony Classical, SK 89434)

p_sk89364.jpg

American Journey / Williams (2002, Sony Classical, SK 89364)

John Williams: Call Of The Champions (The Official Theme Of The 2002 Olympic Winter Games); American Journey; Song For World Peace; Jubilee 350; For New York (Variations On Themes Of Leonard Bernstein); Sound The Bells!; Hymn To New England; Celebrate Discovery; Summon The Heroes (Written For The Centennial Celebration Of The Modern Olympic Games, Atlanta, Georgia, July 19, 1996).

The Winter Olympics are also more interesting to Norwegians, as we do so well in them. But many great sports to watch in the summer version too, even if Norwegians are more or less absent (except maybe handball). Thankfully, Williams has written music for both.

10 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Not in ice skating though. ;)

Not anymore, true. But there was a time, especially in the 94 Olympics, where we beat the hell out of the Dutch even in ice skating!

A little recap of some 60's movies for which Johnny Williams composed original music.

Some would really need to be reissued... and why not a boxset?

57584_1025250860824084_28434963203735051

- 1967 Fitzwilly [Original Motion Picture Score] United Artists; Re-recording;
- 2004 Fitzwilly/The Long Goodbye [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack] Varèse Sarabande CD Club; The Long Goodbye: Previously unreleased score (1973);
- 2013 Fitzwilly – Special Archival Edition [Original MGM Motion Picture Soundtrack] Music Box Records; Previously unreleased original score (1967).

7354cb17.jpg

- 2000     A Guide For The Married Man [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack]     Film Score Monthly;     Previously unreleased score (1967);

1012987_1025250827490754_896420246020821

- 1966 Penelope [Original Music From The MGM Film] MGM Records; Re-recording;
- 2000 Don't Make Waves/Penelope, Chapter III;
- 2004 Penelope/Bachelor in Paradise, Film Score Monthly; Previously unreleased original scores (1966/1961).

10177503_1025250864157417_20004531342542

- 1966 Not With My Wife, You Don't! [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack Album] Warner Bros. Records; Re-recording;
- 2006 Not With My Wife, You Don't!/Any Wednesday, Film Score Monthly;
- 2011 Not With My Wife, You Don't, Vol. 2 — Original Soundtrack, Film Score Monthly; Previously unreleased original score (1966).

1601385_1025250877490749_640950652725369

- 1966     How To Steal A Million [Original Motion Picture Score]     20th Century Fox Records;     Re-recording;

- 2008     How to Steal a Million/Bachelor Flat,     Intrada Special Collection;     2-CD Set, previously unreleased original score (1966/1962).

john-goldfarb-please-come-home-bo.jpg

- 2001     John Goldfarb, Please Come Home [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack]     Film Score Monthly;     Previously unreleased score (1965).

None_but_brave_FSMCD12No12.jpg

- 2009     None But the Brave;     Previously unreleased score (1965); Music by John Williams, Conducted by Morris Stoloff; Piano on Piano Theme Bonus Track: Johnny Williams; Film Score Monthly, FSM Vol. 12 No. 12.

10959647_1025250940824076_59457899700910

- 1962     Diamond Head [Music From The Motion Picture]     Colpix Records;     Re-recording;

- 2006         Diamond Head/Gone With the Wave; Film Score Monthly.

js2a6h.jpg

- 2008     How to Steal a Million/Bachelor Flat,     Intrada Special Collection; 2-CD Set, previously unreleased original score (1966/1962);

Spotlight on the Thriller Soundtracks

Which is your favorite?

p_qr185.jpg

The Long Goodbye [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack] (1973) (2012, Quartet Records, SCE046)

The Long Goodbye (John Williams, piano soloist); The Long Goodbye (Clydie King, vocal); The Long Goodbye (Dave Grusin trio); The Long Goodbye (Jack Sheldon, vocal); The Long Goodbye (Dave Grusin trio); The Long Goodbye – Tango; The Long Goodbye (Irene Kral & Dave Grusin trio); The Long Goodbye – Mariachi; Marlowe in Mexico; Main Title Montage; Night Talk; The Border; Love Theme From "The Long Goodbye"; The Long Goodbye – Sitar; Guitar Nostalgia; The Mexican Funeral; Finale; BONUS TRACKS: Clydie King Adlibs Rehearsal; Jack Riley and Ensemble Rehearsal; Violin Rehearsal.

(Reissued in 2015, Quartet Records, QR-185)

p_lllcd1238.jpg

The Fury [Expanded Original Motion Picture Score] (1978) (2013, La-La Land Records, LLLCD 1238)

CD 1 - THE SOUNDTRACK: Main Title; Out Of The Water; The Train Wreck; Through The Alley; The Fog Scene; Hester's Theme; For Gillian; Vision On The Stairs; Eavesdropping; Surveillance; Gillian's Vision; The Conspiracy; Descent; Death On The Carousel; Gillian's Escape; Remembering Robin; Before Dinner; Approaching The House; Lifting Susan; The Fall; Father Meets Son; Gillian's Power; End Credits; Chicago Street (Source)*; More Bubble Gum (Source)*; Hold You (Source)*; I'm Tired (Source)*; Wild ARP; ARP Theme; Bed Scene; Calliope Waltz*; Calliope Goes Wild / Death On A Carousel*; CD 2 - THE ALBUM: Main Title; For Gillian; Vision On The Stairs; Hester's Theme And The House; Gillian's Escape; The Search For Robin; Gillian's Vision; Death On The Carousel And End Title; Epilogue; Death On The Carousel (Original Version). *Previously unreleased.

p_vsd5280.jpg

Presumed Innocent [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack] (1990, Varèse Sarabande, VSD-5280)

Presumed Innocent; Remembering Carolyn; Family Life; Love Scene; The B File; The Bedroom Scene; Carolyn's Office; "Leon Talks"; Rusty Accused; Case Dismissed; The Boat Scene; The Basement Scene; Barbara's Confession; End Credits.

p_9612932.jpg

JFK [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack] (1992, Elektra, 9 61293-2)

Prologue; The Motorcade; Drummer's Salute; Theme From JFK; Eternal Father, Strong To Save (For Those In Peril On The Sea); Garrison's Obsession; On The Sunny Side Of The Street (Performer – Sidney Bechet); The Conspirators; The Death Of David Ferrie; Maybe September (Performer – Tony Bennett); Garrison Family Theme; Ode To Buckwheat (Performer - Brent Lewis); El Watusi Performer – Ray Barretto); The Witnesses; Concerto #2 For Horn And Orchestra, K. 417:1 Allegro Maestoso (Mozart); Arlington; Finale; Theme From JFK (Reprise).

p_4549882.jpg

Sleepers [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack] (1996, Philips, 454 988-2)

Sleepers At Wilkinson; Hell's Kitchen; Football Game; Saying The Rosary; Trip To Wilkinson; Time In Solitary; Revenge; Michael's Witness; Learning The Hard Way; Last Night In Wilkinson; Father Bobby's Decision; Reliving The Past; Reunion And Finale.

p_9879142.jpg

Munich [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack] (2005, Decca, 987 9142)

Munich, 1972; The Attack At Olympic Village; Hatikvah (The Hope); Remembering Munich; Letter Bombs; A Prayer For Peace; Bearing The Burden; Avner And Daphna; The Tarmac At Munich; Avner's Theme; Stalking Carl; Bonding; Encounter In London And Bomb Malfunctions; Discovering Hans; The Raid In Tarifa; Thoughts Of Home; Hiding The Family; End Credits.

• 3 weeks later...

Three new singles added to the wiki disco. Will appear soon on the website too.

1957 "Recipe For Love" –
"I'm Too Young"

MGM

Sheb Wooley; John Towner Williams, piano.
1957 "I Found Me An Angel" –
"So Close To Heaven"
MGM Sheb Wooley, B-Side: John Towner Williams, piano.
1958 "The Purple People Eater" –
"I Can't Believe You're Mine"
MGM

Sheb Wooley; John Towner Williams, piano.

Thanks to @Miguel Andrade for this discovery! 

All the 5 titles have been reissued on CD by the Bear Family.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Williams_discography#Singles

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Website Update

Discography as a composer – Concert works
http://www.goplanete.com/johnwilliams/music/composer/concert.htm

p_TON-CD-MENG.jpg

Meng / Meng (2016, Tonar Music, TON-CD-MENG)

John Williams: Rounds.

p_8573669.jpg

Rovshan Mamedkuliev – Guitar Recital / Mamedkuliev (2016, Naxos, 8573669)

John Williams: Rounds.

• 3 weeks later...

Our John Williams on both. Didn't I mentioned the first one to you a while ago? I received that CD a month or so ago, and if I do apologize if I failed to tell you about it. I plan on getting Burke's Law very soon.

6 minutes ago, Miguel Andrade said:

Our John Williams on both. Didn't I mentioned the first one to you a while ago? I received that CD a month or so ago, and if I do apologize if I failed to tell you about it. I plan on getting Burke's Law very soon.

Thanks, first new I have of it.

Is there any other new release on this website with John Williams that is not on my website of the Wiki disco?

Tell me guys just for fun, not for real.... is it things that are known and documented since many times or just like me you discover new things day by day, when there are new well-documented CD reissues like this?

Wiki disco updated: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Williams_discography#Collaborations_and_guest_appearances

42 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Tell me guys just for fun, not for real.... is it things that are known and documented since many times or just like me you discover new things day by day, when there are new well-documented CD reissues like this?

I'm not quite sure what you mean. As I said in another thread, I spent two decades in the 90s and 2000s getting total overview of Williams' work, so I rarely discover something I haven't heard or heard about before (much like Miguel, I suppose). But it does happen now and then. Also, suddenly -- and out of the blue -- a completely new thing appears that no one has heard about untill it's released, like NIGHTWATCH or THE ELEVENTH HOUR.

As for CD reissues, it's not usually something that concerns me. If I already own the album, I'm rarely on the lookout for reissues. But I think it's great that you have that 'radar' out there; keeps me updated too.

Finally what I ask is a little help... you don't have a list of all the pre-1967 collaborations? ;)

Well, as far you are concerned about the sharing of your knowledge to other fans!

Those collaborations are actually a pet peeve of mine!

41 minutes ago, Thor said:

I have no list of anything, no, but I know them when I see them. What do you mean by 'collaborations'?

In a discography, we usually put in a "Collaborations" section the entries where the artist is a performer, but on another artist album. Take by example all the albums Miles Davis recorded, as a sideman, with Charlie Parker.

Please feel free to go to the Wiki article and tell me what is missing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Williams_discography#Collaborations_and_guest_appearances

You can also help me to put the list in chronological order for the entries on the same years. :)

Well, as usual your defintions is a bit confusing to me -- why would AMAZING STORIES be listed under 'collaborations' in the sense you've defined it, for example -- but I'll try to decipher your system and see what I can find. I can use the 'find' function of the browser, for example.

Just after a brief glance, you seem to be missing THE OLD SOUTH WAILS (Dave Pell). Williams arranged the tracks "Manhattan" and "Tishomingo Blues".

45 minutes ago, Thor said:

Just after a brief glance, you seem to be missing THE OLD SOUTH WAILS (Dave Pell). Williams arranged the tracks "Manhattan" and "Tishomingo Blues".

Thanks, does he plays piano on it?

5 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Thanks, does he plays piano on it?

No, only arrangements as far as I know. So maybe that goes in a different category of yours.

56 minutes ago, Thor said:

No, only arrangements as far as I know. So maybe that goes in a different category of yours.

Good I added the info in the "Discography as an arranger" section of the website.

http://www.goplanete.com/johnwilliams/arranger/index.htm

20 hours ago, Bespin said:

Wiki disco updated: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Williams_discography#Collaborations_and_guest_appearances

The fact that some info is listed on some obscure record credits doesn't lists as well documented... Fresh Sound Records has been, at least for me, a great source to discover sessions were Williams worked as pianist. Same thing applies for Bear Family Records, though they don't publish the performer credits on-line. I should add that the Fresh Sound people are great and always been terribly kind in replying to all my enquiries about which Williams is performing...

So I guess I can say that discoveries happen every now and then, one just have to be looking for them in the right places.

Added to the website:

With Les Baxter

p_t_1117.jpg

African jazz (1959, Capitol, T 1117)

Featuring Johnny Williams (p).

p_st_1117.jpg

(Released in 1959, Capitol, ST 1117, Stereo)

p_t_1184.jpg

Jungle Jazz (1959, Capitol, T 1184)

Featuring Johnny Williams (p).

p_st_1184.jpg

(Released in 1959, Capitol, ST 1184, Stereo)

With Stanley Wilson

p_mg_60235.jpg

Shotgun Slade - The Original Jazz Score (1960, Mercury, MG-60235)

Featuring Johnny Williams (p) (hpd).

p_sr_60235.jpg

(Released in 1960, Mercury, SR-60235, Stereo)

I think I found a John Williams release you missed.  Please add to the discography post-haste.

R-528627-1365450062-1584.jpeg.jpgStar Wars (20th Century Records ‎– 2T-541)

Performed by the London Symphony Orchestra

(Released in 1977)

Easy one to overlook, so I'm not judging you for missing it!

20 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I think I found a John Williams release you missed.  Please add to the discography post-haste.

R-528627-1365450062-1584.jpeg.jpgStar Wars (20th Century Records ‎– 2T-541)

Performed by the London Symphony Orchestra

(Released in 1977)

Easy one to overlook, so I'm not judging you for missing it!

Very funny!

• 2 weeks later...

You maybe know my concern about the "2 LP on 1 CD"...

Well, after thinking about it for a long time, I think I will finally switch three CD to the "Album" section of the disco, making an abstraction of the fact that they where released as a "2 on 1" album.

Until now, I always considered these "2 on 1" CD as CDs where John Williams is a "featured artist", sharing the spotlight with another composer/conductor. Cause, in fact, this is really what they are, sort of compilations, featuring two artists...

I make discos from some times now and I never been put in face of this "2 on 1" thing before. To release previously unreleased stuff using this method seems really a particularity of some specialized labels in the film music domain.

Well, I have to adapt...

This mean, the count of JW solo album will jump from 137 to 140. Making in fact, The BFG, the 140th album of John Williams.

2004 Penelope/Bachelor in Paradise Various Artists Previously unreleased original scores (1966/1961); Penelope's music Composed and Conducted by John Williams; Film Score Monthly.

2005 Jericho/The Ghostbreaker Various Artists Previously unreleased scores (1966/1965); The Ghostbreaker's music Composed and Conducted by John Williams; Film Score Monthly

2011 Nightwatch/Killer by Night Various Artists Previously unreleased scores (1965/1972); Nighwatch's music Composed and Conducted by John Williams; Film Score Monthly.

Here's a little recap of Star Wars albums containing original themes written by John Wiliams.

Source: http://www.goplanete.com/johnwilliams/music/composer/themes.htm

Good luck Mr. Giacchino!

p_stv81281.jpg

Ewoks (1986, Varèse Sarabande, STV 81281)

Music Composed by Peter Bernstein, Original Parade of the Ewoks Theme by John Williams.

p_vsde5700.jpg

Star Wars: Shadows Of The Empire (1996, Varèse Sarabande, VSDE-5700)

Music Composed by Joel McNeely, Original Star Wars Themes by John Williams.

p_kotor.jpg

Star Wars Knights Of The Old Republic Video Game Soundtrack (2003, Promo)

Music Composed by Jeremy Soule, Original Star Wars Themes by John Williams.

p_fcd19962008.jpg

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (2008, Force Records, FCD-19962008)

Music Composed by Mark Griskey, Original Star Wars Themes by John Williams.

p_88697356162.jpg

Star Wars: The Clone Wars (2008, Sony Classical, 88697-35616-2)

Music Composed and Conducted by Kevin Kiner, Original Star Wars Themes and Score by John Williams.

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

Here's a little recap of Star Wars albums containing original themes written by John Wiliams.

Source: http://www.goplanete.com/johnwilliams/music/composer/themes.htm

Good luck Mr. Giacchino!

p_stv81281.jpg

Ewoks (1986, Varèse Sarabande, STV 81281)

Music Composed by Peter Bernstein, Original Parade of the Ewoks Theme by John Williams.

p_vsde5700.jpg

Star Wars: Shadows Of The Empire (1996, Varèse Sarabande, VSDE-5700)

Music Composed by Joel McNeely, Original Star Wars Themes by John Williams.

p_kotor.jpg

Star Wars Knights Of The Old Republic Video Game Soundtrack (2003, Promo)

Music Composed by Jeremy Soule, Original Star Wars Themes by John Williams.

p_fcd19962008.jpg

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (2008, Force Records, FCD-19962008)

Music Composed by Mark Griskey, Original Star Wars Themes by John Williams.

p_88697356162.jpg

Star Wars: The Clone Wars (2008, Sony Classical, 88697-35616-2)

Music Composed and Conducted by Kevin Kiner, Original Star Wars Themes and Score by John Williams.

The Clone Wars TV show got a release also. 

As did Rebels 1-2. Have you got them?

2 hours ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

The Clone Wars TV show got a release also. 

As did Rebels 1-2. Have you got them?

Never had any confirmation from anyone here that they contains bits of JW music!

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Good list Bespin. It's a pity we don't have a recource like a wiki or encyclopedia that lists all these Williams releases!

What? ;)

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « quoi dupont et dupont »

4 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Never had any confirmation from anyone here that they contains JW music!

What? ;)

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « quoi dupont et dupont »

Picked this cue at random. Starts with a quote of Battle of the Heroes. 

IMG_2587.PNG

@Bilbo Skywalker Added, thanks alot for these infos!

http://www.goplanete.com/johnwilliams/music/composer/themes.htm

p_cw2014.jpg

Star Wars: The Clone Wars – Original Soundtrack Seasons One Through Six (2014, Walt Disney Records)

Music Composed by Kevin Kiner, Original Star Wars Themes and Score by John Williams.

p_RebelsS01.jpg

Star Wars: Rebels – Season One (2016, Walt Disney Records)

Music Composed by Kevin Kiner, Original Star Wars Themes and Score by John Williams.

p_RebelsS02.jpg

Star Wars: Rebels – Season Two (2016, Walt Disney Records)

17 minutes ago, Thor said:

Totally unrelated, but are you aware that Williams' ancestors (on his mother's side) hail from Quebec, Bespin?

Didn't know! Well it explain the talent for sure! ;)

Wiki infomusic box now offers to add more custom sections... so I added the "Expanded reissue albums" one.

Here's the new countdown.

JWwiki.jpg