Bespin

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

Fixed.

That was a typo, sorry.

So I didn't lost it? It was never broadcasted, really?

I don't believe it was. If memory serves, this never appeared on WGBH scheduled, even before Williams' cancellation, and I do recall checking the station on the day of the concert and later, at the on-demand section, and I don't remember ever finding anything there. Also, later in the season concerts, sometimes aren't broadcast.

5 minutes ago, Miguel Andrade said:

I don't believe it was. If memory serves, this never appeared on WGBH scheduled, even before Williams' cancellation, and I do recall checking the station on the day of the concert and later, at the on-demand section, and I don't remember ever finding anything there. Also, later in the season concerts, sometimes aren't broadcast.

Well, so I'll remove the entry on my webpage, Thanks!

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

Why would a John Williams webpage reference a concert he didn't conduct?

I will remove the 2015-08-22 concert, as it has not been broadcasted, but I'll keep the 2015-05-22 one. This John Williams's Film Night, but without him, turned out to be a very moving concert, a very particular hommage.

17 hours ago, Bespin said:

Well, so I'll remove the entry on my webpage, Thanks!

No problem. Glad to be of assistance.

16 hours ago, Bespin said:

I will remove the 2015-08-22 concert, as it has not been broadcasted, but I'll keep the 2015-05-22 one. This John Williams's Film Night, but without him, turned out to be a very moving concert, a very particular hommage.

While I fail to understand a logical reason to keep it there, as you usually include only Williams appearances in person, I do understand an emotional reason to keep it. It was indeed a wonderful concert, though I have to say I'm not a fan of the way Kaufmann keeps talking...

Website updated with the Spielberg & Williams Collaboration part III + Stanley & Iris Deluxe Edition.

The (presumably) 1996 recording of "Olympic Hymn" composed by Leonard Bernstein, and conducted by JW, is featured on a new Sony compilation.

Bernstein: Chamber & Concert Music

Bernstein: Chamber & Concert Music

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Sony/G010003652371I

Yo-Yo Ma and Jessye Norman compilations added to the album page:

p_0028947697329.jpg

Between Love And Loss (2006, Philips, 0028947697329, Compilation)

Music conducted by John Williams: With A Song In My Heart.

p_0600753161920.jpg

Honor! A celebration of the African American Cultural Legacy (2009, Decca, 0600753161920, Compilation, 2 CD)

Music conducted by John Williams: With A Song In My Heart.

p_886978-287625.jpg

Impressions (2011, Sony Classical, 886978287625, Compilation, 2 CD)

Music composed and conducted by John Williams: Seven Years in Tibet.

That's maybe not the most interesting part of JW's discography, but I'm currently adding some compilations to the albums page. The goal is surely not to list them all, but I try at least to add the ones released on Philips, Decca, and well... Sony!

Still, we see what tracks labels tries to "push" more than others. And it remembers us that John Williams has a brilliant discography as a conductor too... :)

http://www.goplanete.com/johnwilliams/music/disco/albums.htm

p_4100692.jpg

Digital Sound Spectacular (1982, Philips, 4100692, Compilation)

Music composed and conducted by John Williams: Flying Theme (from E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial).

p_4100692_2.jpg

(Reissued in 1983, Philips, 4100692, Compilation)

p_4805600_1.jpg

Late Night Classics (2000, Philips, 4805600, Compilation)

Music conducted by John Williams: Clair de lune.

p_4805600.jpg

(Reissued in 2011, Decca, 4805600, Compilation)

p_G010001701174Q.jpg

Drive Time - Pacific Coast Highway (2005, Sony, G010001701174Q, Compilation)

Music conducted by John Williams: I. Andante con moto from Symphony No. 2 - Op. 132 "Mysterious Mountain", Javelin.

p_G010001769828Z.jpg

Drive Time - Route 66 (2005, Sony, G010001769828Z, Compilation)

Music conducted by John Williams: Morning on the Ranch from The Red Pony Film Suite for Orchestra, On the Trail from Grand Canyon Suite.

p_G010002929075S.jpg

Drive Time - Blue Ridge Parkway (2005, Sony, G010002929075S, Compilation)

Music conducted by John Williams: Appalachian Morning, Andante espressivo from Symphony No. 2 - Op.132 "Mysterious Mountain".

p_4429739.jpg

Best of Cinema Classics (2007, Decca, 4429739, Compilation)

Music conducted by John Williams: Main Theme from "The Pink Panther", Also sprach Zarathustra, Main Title from "Star Trek - The Motion Picture".

p_4805523.jpg

Creepy Classics: Halloween's Greatest Hits (2011, Deutsche Grammophon, 4805523, Compilation)

Music composed and conducted by John Williams: Theme from "Jaws".

p_G010002654309K.jpg

Smooth Strings (2012, Sony, G010002654309K, Compilation)

Music conducted by John Williams: Love Theme from "Cinema Paradiso" (with Itzhak Perlman), Theme From "Schindler's List" (with Itzhak Perlman).

p_4806430.jpg

50 Greatest Classics by Classic FM (2012, Classic FM, 4806430, Compilation)

Music conducted by John Williams: Also sprach Zarathustra.

p_4807955.jpg

Music Of Steel Heroic Themes From The Movies (2013, Decca, 4807955, Compilation)

Music composed and conducted by John Williams: March from "Superman", Main Title from "Star Wars", March from "Raiders Of The Lost Ark".

p_G010003022774G.jpg

#top10tracks - High Energy Classical (2013, Masterworks, G010003022774G, Compilation)

Music conducted by John Williams: The Washington Post March.

p_4820363.jpg

25 Running Classics: 10k Edition (2014, Classic FM, 4820363, Compilation)

Music conducted by John Williams: Main Title from "Star Wars", Main Theme from "Chariots of Fire".

p_4820455.jpg

50 Sci-Fi Classics (2014, Classic FM, 4820455, Compilation)

Music conducted by John Williams: Yoda's Theme from "The Empire Strikes Back", The Imperial March from "The Empire Strikes Back", Main Theme from "Star Trek The Television Show", March from "Superman", Love Theme from "Superman", Flying Theme from "E.T.".

p_4820555.jpg

Music For Memorial Day (2014, Decca, 4820555, Compilation)

Music conducted by John Williams: America, the Beautiful, When The Saints Go Marchin' In, Fanfare For The Common Man, The Battle Hymn Of The Republic, America, the Dream Goes On (John Williams).

p_4820784.jpg

Classics For The 4th Of July (2014, Decca, 4820784, Compilation)

Music composed and conducted by John Williams: America, The Dream Goes On.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks @Thor

Added.

p_isc322.jpg

Jaws 3-D (2015, Intrada Special Collection, ISC 322)

Previously unreleased score (1983); Music Composed by Alan Parker, Original Jaws Theme by John Williams.

2 minutes ago, Richard said:

Duh!

The JFK snare drum motif is used in the Love Field sequence.

Okay, but I don't understand what you are trying to say about where's is Nixon?

4 minutes ago, Richard said:

Also, the "five tones" are used in MOONRAKER, so...:P

From Close Encounters you mean?

Is it on an album?

1 minute ago, Bespin said:

From Close Encounters you mean?

Is it on an album?

No, it's just a brief cameo in the film. As a door code, I believe.

But speaking of the 'cameo' category, I'm wondering about computer games. Surely, there must be more of these? Was there ever an official album of STAR WARS: DARK FORCES, for example, which mostly consists of variations over Williams' themes?

You may also include Rich Douglas' rerecording of FATE OF ATLANTIS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/indiana-jones-fate-atlantis-orchestral-cover-album/id677440416

22 minutes ago, Thor said:

But speaking of the 'cameo' category, I'm wondering about computer games. Surely, there must be more of these? Was there ever an official album of STAR WARS: DARK FORCES, for example, which mostly consists of variations over Williams' themes?

You may also include Rich Douglas' rerecording of FATE OF ATLANTIS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/indiana-jones-fate-atlantis-orchestral-cover-album/id677440416

Yes Video Games are good for me, but the score has to have been released on an album, my webpage is about a discography. :-)

Thanks for Fate of Atlantis, it uses the original Raider's Theme I guess?

I will add it shortly.

Just now, Bespin said:

Yes Video Games are good for me, but the score has to have been issued on an album, my webpage is about a discoraphy.

Thanks for Fate of Atlantis, it uses the original Raider's Theme I guess?

Yes, the "Raider's March" in several tracks.

3 hours ago, Thor said:

Yes, the "Raider's March" in several tracks.

Thanks alot for this one!

Added!

p_tfoa.jpg

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (2013, Rich Douglas)

Music Arranged by Rich Douglas & Composed by Clint Bajakian, Peter McConnell & Michael Land, Original Raider's March Theme by John Williams.

52 minutes ago, Thor said:

I don't believe Dark Forces ever received an official CD soundtrack album. There is an mp3 album available for free to download, but that could easily be audio files ripped from the game folders or midi files converted into digital audio and uploaded. It's still some of my favorite Star Wars music of all time and proudly on my iPod, but still.

A lot of older Star Wars computer games used John Williams music. Many simply copy and paste straight from the movie soundtracks with no new music added, just moving snippets around for new purposes. These include the Collector's Editions of X-Wing and TIE Fighter, Rebellion, and Jedi Knight. Other games use new music arrangements based on Williams themes, including both Knights of the Old Republic, both Force Unleashed games, Force Commander, the original TIE Fighter, and Dark Forces. 

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

Thanks alot for this one!

Added!

p_tfoa.jpg

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (2013, Rich Douglas)

Music Composed by Rich Douglas, Original Raider's March Theme by John Williams.

I forgot to specify that the music is composed by Lucasarts alumni Clint Bajakian, Michael Land and Peter McConnell (plus Williams' "Raiders"). But their original tracks from the computer game have never had a commercial soundtrack release, so this is a 're-recording'/re-performance by Rich Douglas based on their material.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

I forgot to specify that the music is composed by Lucasarts alumni Clint Bajakian, Michael Land and Peter McConnell (plus Williams' "Raiders"). But their original tracks from the computer game have never had a commercial soundtrack release, so this is a 're-recording'/re-performance by Rich Douglas based on their material.

Fixed!

Do you also include 'tribute' albums by other artists in your discography, like Terry Trotter's SKETCHES ON STAR WARS or John Rose's STAR WARS album for organ?

43 minutes ago, Thor said:

Do you also include 'tribute' albums by other artists in your discography, like Terry Trotter's SKETCHES ON STAR WARS or John Rose's STAR WARS album for organ?

Yes, I list some of them already... but I think it's impossible to list them all: http://www.goplanete.com/johnwilliams/music/composer/seldisco.htm

I started by some key entries or some "recommended" albums. It's rather subjective, I confess.

But if you think, as a collector, that these two albums you listed are worth mentioning, I can add them....

In the case of the Trotter CD... I have it in my collection, but never really listened to it more than two times... Is it really worth mentioning? ;-)

Do we serve John Williams's purpose by listing those albums in his discography? Or do we serve each and single cretin that decides to record John William's music just to promote his own career?

Where's the line between the real tributes and the junk?

Every minute, a new violinist in the world records Schindler's List... Do we have to list every single recordings on a JW discography? ;)

I really like the Terry Trotter album myself. It's one of the few 'tribute' albums I have. Cool jazz versions of the themes. I also remember it being a bit of a 'hot potato' when it came out. The John Rose album is quite good too, although the sound leaves something to be desired. But yeah -- I agree it's impossible to have a complete listing of all these albums out there. A lot of the cheapo synth version albums are best left unlisted, for example.

Here's a brand new Toots Thielemans retrospective, featuring the theme from "Sugarland Express" recorded with JW & The Boston Pops.

It will be added to the discography next week-end.

The Real... Toots Thielemans

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Legacy%2BRecordings/G010003677872D

On 16/04/2017 at 2:10 PM, Thor said:

Added: http://www.goplanete.com/johnwilliams/music/composer/seldisco.htm

___

With Toots Thielemans

p_G010003677872D.jpg

The Real... Toots Thielemans (2017, Legacy Recordings, G010003677872D, Compilation)

Music composed and conducted by John Williams: Theme from "Sugarland Express".

Added: http://www.goplanete.com/johnwilliams/music/disco/albums.htm

I wonder, with currently 39 Expanded reissue albums, is John Williams the composer with the most expanded scores released on CD?