Bespin

Sure, LPs are coming back, but what I waited to know is for which first score Did JW created a CD program instead of an LP program for his album. Of course, some think, like Mike Matessino, and I share is thinking, that Williams never really stopped to arrange his scores on album, like if He still recording an LP. ;-)

23 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Sure, LPs are coming back, but what I waited to know is for which first score Did JW created a CD program instead of an LP program for his album.

i would say "Hook".

The program was too long for ONE record.

2 hours ago, Stempel said:

i would say "Hook".

The program was too long for ONE record.

Well, that's not the same thing, it was release in 2-LP format... like Star Wars, Superman and Empire before.

After Far and Away and Home Alone 2 that seems to have been released on CD only, Jurassic Park was indeed released on a special picture LP, and it's program fitted on a single LP...

But but but... the movie was an event... so it's "marketing", according to me ;-)

But we see that even in 1993, there was a certain nostalgia for LPs...

After that, for Schindler's List... no LP...

34 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Jurassic Park was indeed released on a special picture LP, and it's program fitted on a single LP...

Yes, but the Sound ist awful.

3 minutes ago, Stempel said:

Yes, but the Sound ist awful.

Surely, you can't put a digital mastering "as-it-is" on a LP.  LPs needs a special mastering, made for them, some frequencies have to be changed (and even the mastering of each track have to be adapted depending if they will be placed on a inner or outter groove!). 

It's so awefull when we think ot it!

3 minutes ago, Stempel said:

The Double-LP from Mondo is much better.

Yes I hope new engineers know how to put digital music on LPs now :-)

But the "Analog tape-->Digital mastering-->LP" process is for me... nan... it's impossible, it don't work. ;)

On 11.7.2017 at 11:34 PM, Miguel Andrade said:

Jurassic Park was released on LP at least in Europe and Brasil.

To my recollection, it was a 'specialty' LP release, not a regular LP release.

On 7/12/2017 at 2:51 PM, Bespin said:

But we see that even in 1993, there was a certain nostalgia for LPs...

It was too soon for nostalgia. Many people still didn't own a CD player back then, so the labels kept releasing LPs and especially cassettes well into the 90s.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Did they still even do "regular" LP releases in 1993?

Very few, but yes.

9 hours ago, Thor said:

To my recollection, it was a 'specialty' LP release, not a regular LP release.

I clearly recall holding a copy of the picture LP on my hands, released on MCA label. Back then, as college boy on a tight budget just couldn't afford it.

I've seen the regular Brasilian LP release (i.e. black vinyl) on eBay a few times. While I never saw a European release of the regular version, I wouldn't be surprised there was one.

• 2 weeks later...

The Jaws 2-LP release as been added... a little in advance :-)

p_7145.jpg

Jaws [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack] (1975) (2015, Intrada, INT 7145)

CD 1: Jaws – Main Title; The First Victim; Remains On The Beach; The Empty Raft (Extended Version); The Pier Incident; Father And Son (Film Version); The Alimentary Canal; Ben Gardner's Boat; Montage; Into The Estuary; Out To Sea (Film Version); Tug On The Line; Man Against Beast (Film Version); Quint's Tale; Brody Panics; Barrel Off Starboard; Great Chase; Shark Tows Orca; Three Barrels Under; From Bad To Worse; Quint Thinks It Over; The Shark Cage Fugue; The Shark Approaches (Film Version); The Shark Hits The Cage; Quint Meets His End; Blown To Bits; Jaws – End Title; THE EXTRAS: Jaws – Main Title (Alternate); The Typewriter; Man Against Beast (Alternate); Barrel Off Starboard (Alternate Segment); Great Chase (Alternate); Shark Tows Orca (Alternate); The Shark Approaches (Alternate); Quint Meets His End (Alternate); Wild Shark Theme; CD 2 - ORIGINAL 1975 MCA SOUNDTRACK ALBUM: Main Title (Theme From Jaws); Chrissie's Death; Promenade (Tourists On The Menu); Out To Sea; The Indianapolis Story; Sea Attack Number One; One Barrel Chase; Preparing The Cage; Night Search; The Underwater Siege; Hand To Hand Combat; End Title (Theme From Jaws); THE EXTRAS MUSIC FROM AMITY TOWN BEACH: Joplin Rag (Original Rag) (Scott Joplin); Winter Stories Waltz (Alphons Czibulka); In The Good Old Summertime (George Evans & Ren Shields); Thousand And One Nights Waltz (Johann Strauss Jr.); Marching Band No. 1; Marching Band No. 2.

p_mondoJaws.jpg

(Reissued partially in 2017 as 2-LP, available in "Ocean Blue" Vinyl and "Gram Black" Vinyl, Mondo Records, MOND-)

Disc 1: Jaws – Main Title; The First Victim; Remains On The Beach; The Empty Raft (Extended Version); The Pier Incident; Father And Son (Film Version); The Alimentary Canal; Ben Gardner's Boat; Montage; Into The Estuary; Out To Sea (Film Version); Tug On The Line; Man Against Beast (Film Version); Disc 2: Quint's Tale; Brody Panics; Barrel Off Starboard; Great Chase; Shark Tows Orca; Three Barrels Under; From Bad To Worse; Quint Thinks It Over; The Shark Cage Fugue; The Shark Approaches (Film Version); The Shark Hits The Cage; Quint Meets His End; Blown To Bits; Jaws – End Title.

• 2 weeks later...

3 new entries in the "Discography as a composer - Concert Works" page:

p_52630MCD.jpg

2016 Midwest Clinic: Tokyo Geidai Wind Orchestra (2017, Mark Records, 52630-MCD; Tokyo Geidai Wind O/Yamamoto)

John Williams: Liberty Fanfare (arr. J. Bocook).

p_52618MCD.jpg

2016 Midwest Clinic: "The President's Own" United States Marine Band – Concert One (2017, Mark Records, 52618-MCD; United States Marine Band/Fettig, Foley, Colburn)

John Williams: For The President's Own, Trumpet Concerto (Arr. Paul Lavender for Trumpet & Wind Ensemble).

p_52821MCD.jpg

2017 Texas Music Educators Association (TMEA): University of Texas at Arlington Wind Symphony (2017, Mark Records, 52821-MCD; University of Texas Arlington Wind S/Stotter, Evans)

John Williams: For The President's Own.

http://www.goplanete.com/johnwilliams/music/composer/concert.htm

• 2 weeks later...

The FYC Academy Promo CD of Nixon has been added to the discography:

p_hi620432.jpg

Nixon [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack] (1995, Illusion Records/Hollywood Records, HI-62043-2; Morrison, Williams)

The 1960's: The Turbulent Years; Main Title... The White House Gate; Growing Up In Whittier; The Ellsberg Break-In And Watergate; Love Field: Dallas, November 1963; Losing A Brother; The Battle Hymn Of The Republic; Making A Comeback; Track 2 And The Bay Of Pigs; The Miami Convention, 1968; The Meeting With Mao; "I Am That Sacrifice"; The Farewell Scene.

p_nixon_fyc.jpg

p_nixon_fyc2.jpg

(Released in 1995 as "For Your Consideration" Academy Promo CD, Cinergi Pictures Entertainment Inc., Cinergi Production Inc., Buena Vista Pictures Distribution Inc.)

I added the new LLL reissue of Hemingway's Adventures of a Young Man and added the covers of the original previous releases.

I always try to make a "US" original discography, do I have to mention the two "Label X" releases (I added the CD release only here [mainly to show that the album was available on CD for collector], but I didn't add the LP release), anyway they are bootlegs, right?

With Franz Waxman

p_LOC-1074.jpg

Hemingway's Adventures of a Young Man (1962, RCA Victor, LOC-1074)

Featuring John Williams (p).

p_LSO-1074.jpg

(Released in 1962, RCA Victor, LSO-1074, Stereo)

p_ERS-6516-ST.jpg

(Released in 1979, Entr'acte, ERS 6516-ST)

p_PXCD1.jpg

(Released in 1985, Label X, LXCD 1)

p_LLLCD1423.jpg

Peyton Place/Hemingway's Adventures of a Young Man (1957/1962) (2017, La-La Land Records, LLLCD 1423)

"Hemingway's Adventures of a Young Man": Featuring John Williams (p).

The FYC CD of Angela's ashes has been added to the discography:

p_sk89009.jpg

Angela's Ashes [Music From The Motion Picture] (1999, Sony Music Soundtrax, SK 89009; Erdody, Turovsky, Ellis, Kerber, Williams)

Theme From Angela's Ashes; My Story; Angela's Prayer; My Dad's Stories; Lord, Why Do You Want The Wee Children?; Plenty Of Fish And Chips In Heaven; The Dipsey Doodle (Nat Gonella & His Georgians); The Lanes Of Limerick; Looking For Work; Pennies From Heaven (Billie Holiday); My Mother Begging; If I Were In America; Delivering Telegrams; I Think Of Theresa; Angels Never Cough; Watching The Eclipse; Back To America; Angela's Ashes Reprise. Narration by Andrew Bennett

p_AngelaFYC.jpg

(Released in 1999 as "For Your Consideration" Academy Promo CD, without the narration)

Theme From Angela's Ashes; My Story; Angela's Prayer; My Dad's Stories; Lord, Why Do You Want The Wee Children?; Plenty Of Fish And Chips In Heaven; The Lanes Of Limerick; Looking For Work; My Mother Begging; If I Were In America; Delivering Telegrams; I Think Of Theresa; Angels Never Cough; Watching The Eclipse; Back To America; Angela's Ashes Reprise.

p_4667612.jpg

(Released in Europe in 1999, without the narration, Decca, 466 761-2)

Theme From Angela's Ashes; My Story; Angela's Prayer; My Dad's Stories; Lord, Why Do You Want The Wee Children?; Plenty Of Fish And Chips In Heaven; The Dipsey Doodle (Nat Gonella & His Georgians); The Lanes Of Limerick; Looking For Work; Pennies From Heaven (Billie Holiday); My Mother Begging; If I Were In America; Delivering Telegrams; I Think Of Theresa; Angels Never Cough; Watching The Eclipse; Back To America; Angela's Ashes Reprise.

• 4 weeks later...

Website and Wiki article are now updated with the new 35th Anniversary E.T. release!

http://www.goplanete.com/johnwilliams/music/disco/albums.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Williams_discography#Expanded_reissue_albums

E.T.jpg

This morning I also added the CD that came with the Deluxe package, as it seems to be a "straight" reissue of the 1982 album, but remastered.

If someone could just send me a good pic of the CD cover with the right perspective. I managed something in PhotoShop, but I'm not an expert!

Like usual, please feel free to tell me if any error is on my discography or if some entries are missing, thanks!

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

Why do you only have the 'finger touching' covers? Mine looks like this:

ET_MCAD31073.jpg

I believe that was the European CD release cover only.  I'll leave it to Bespin to decide if it should be on his site.

26 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I believe that was the European CD release cover only.  I'll leave it to Bespin to decide if it should be on his site.

Exactly, it's a choice I made to cover only the original US discography of John Williams.

Who knows, someday I may add an "international" section to my discography, but I'm not ready for that now. My website is not really about "album covers", it's very about "distinct" discographical entries (and it allows me to "count" the albums).

Images of covers helps us to identify entries, but it's only a bonus in my discography; the main info is the text.  And It is why, if one day, someone want to reproduce my discography in a book, I will be pleased to give him a text version of it. This person will only have to ask, I hope he'll don't stole it. I worked so hard on it! ;)

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

This morning I also added the CD that came with the Deluxe package, as it seems to be a "straight" reissue of the 1982 album, but remastered.

If someone could just send me a good pic of the CD cover with the right perspective. I managed something in PhotoShop, but I'm not an expert!

There's some pics here, dunno if it helps:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/27553-et-4k-blu-ray-remastered-1982-ost-soundtrack-35th-anniversary-set-in-september/&do=findComment&comment=1387502

Just now, Jay said:

THanks Jay, Iknew I saw those pics, but didn't remebered where. The perspective and light are not good, I will stick with my PhotoShopped version, thanks!

39 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Hmm... that's the cover I have as well, purchased in the US.

On http://www.soundtrackcollector.com, they say this pressing is from Germany, Of course, it doesn't mean it was not available in the USA, obviously.

For me it's hard, to know the real thing' i was not collecting JW at this time... but if you can assure me that this 1987 (?) reissue (a reissue of MCAD-3107 as it is wrote) was indeed sold in the USA, I will add it with pleasure.

MCA Records MCAD 31073Image supplied by 
mr.target

MCA Records MCAD 31073  

Country 
Germany 
Format 
CD 
Release Date 
cd.gif
Reissue of MCAD-3107 
transpixel.gif
line_blue.gif
Other informationline_blue.gif
Members who have this label in their: 
Collection: 18
Wish list: 1
transpixel.gif
line_blue.gif
transpixel.gif

Things you can do:
link_red_small.gif Update this label
transpixel.gif
line_blue.gif

tear.gif
  Track listing
transpixel.gif
1.  THREE MILLION LIGHT YEARS FROM HOME (02:58) 
2.  ABANDONED AND PURSUED (03:01) 
3.  E.T. AND ME (04:53) 
4.  E.T.'S HALLOWEEN (04:10) 
5.  FLYING (03:24) 
6.  E.T. PHONE HOME (04:20) 
7.  OVER THE MOON (02:11) 
8.  ADVENTURE ON EARTH (15:05) 
transpixel.gif
Total Duration: 00:40:02 
Track listing contributed by Kim

5 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Why does it say "Reissued in 1987" and then "Reissue", while there's only "Reissued" for the other releases?

It's a reissue of a reissue, the two covers have the same catalog number. Can you suggest a better way of showing it?

Can I add "New pressing" instead?

p_mcad31073.jpg

(Reissued in 1987, MCA Records, MCAD-31073)

p_mcad31073r.jpg

(Reissued in 1987, MCA Records, MCAD-31073, New pressing)

2 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

It's not a reissue of a reissue nor a new pressing. It's just an alternate cover!

It should go in the Alternate Covers section of your website.

Blood, I usually love your humor. Not now.

4 minutes ago, Thor said:

Bloodboal is correct, though. It's just an alternate cover for the SAME reissue (when the LP was first released on CD).

How things works in your head? I MEAN SERIOUSLY.

Discography is a reproduction of what happened in time. It's chronological. 1--2--3. There are releases, there are reissues, there are new pressings. They came in order.

Now @Jay and @thx99, just tell me if it's okay in private.

All the others, just mute please.

It's your disco Bespin, do whatever you like.  I have no idea what dates any of these things came out *shrug*

I simply know I walked into a store one day and saw both covers.  It was Media Play in Worcester somewhere between 1994 and 2000.  That's all I know!

Ha, ha....what, Bespin?

They reissued the LP on CD in 87, as you say. However, there were two covers -- one with the fingers, and the other with the moon shot. What's so hard to understand about that?

I really don't understand what's going on in YOUR head half of the time. You're so aggressive and defensive -- not only when we criticize your way of organizing (which most of us have given up by now), but also when we present you with factual information. What the hell is up with you, anyway?

6 minutes ago, Thor said:

I really don't understand what's going on in YOUR head half of the time. You're so aggressive and defensive -- not only when we criticize your way of organizing (which most of us have given up by now), but also when we present you with factual information. What the hell is up with you, anyway?

He nearly died! Why are you so insensitive?

Then I suggest he retires from the board for a while to get his strength back. No therapy in yelling at fellow board members for helping him out with discography information.