Bespin

I think the word "Repress" is better, that's what they use on Discogs.

p_mcad31073.jpg

(Reissued in 1987, MCA Records, MCAD-31073)

p_mcad31073r.jpg

(Reissued in 1987, MCA Records, MCAD-31073 [Repress])

A brand new LLL release (another one!) ;)

With Jack Marshall

p_LLLCD1434.jpg

Thunder Road - The Film Music of Jack Marshall (2017, La-La Land Records, LLLCD 1434)

"Thunder Road": Featuring John T. Williams (p). Previously unreleased original scores from Thunder Road (1958), Take a Giant Step (1959) and The Rabbit Trap (1959).

Everything is going so fast !

Here's a little recap, of all the 2017 releases so far...

p_anh_disney.jpg

(Reissued for digital download in 2017, Walt Disney Records)

p_tesb_disney.jpg

p_2017ETRemast.jpg

(Reissued in 2017 as "E.T. The Extra - Terrestrial: 35th Anniversary Limited Edition [4K Ultra HD + Blu-ray + Digital HD + CD]", Universal Studios Home Entertainment, Remastered)

p_rotj_disney.jpg

p_tpm_disney.jpg

p_aotc_disney.jpg

p_rots_disney.jpg

p_0000342.jpg

(Reissued in 2017 as 2-LP, Concord Records, 0000342)

p_MOVATM156.jpg

(Reissued in 2017 as 2-LP, Music On Vinyl, MOVATM156)

p_mondoJaws.jpg

(Reissued partially in 2017 as 2-LP, available in "Ocean Blue" Vinyl and "Gram Black" Vinyl, Mondo Records, MOND-115)

Disc 1: Jaws – Main Title; The First Victim; Remains On The Beach; The Empty Raft (Extended Version); The Pier Incident; Father And Son (Film Version); The Alimentary Canal; Ben Gardner's Boat; Montage; Into The Estuary; Out To Sea (Film Version); Tug On The Line; Man Against Beast (Film Version); Disc 2: Quint's Tale; Brody Panics; Barrel Off Starboard; Great Chase; Shark Tows Orca; Three Barrels Under; From Bad To Worse; Quint Thinks It Over; The Shark Cage Fugue; The Shark Approaches (Film Version); The Shark Hits The Cage; Quint Meets His End; Blown To Bits; Jaws – End Title.

p_shark_tfa_ray.jpg

p_shark_tfa_poe.jpg

p_shark_tfa_phasma.jpg

p_shark_tfa_finn_kylo.jpg

(Reissued in 2017 as 2-LP Limited Collector's Edition with 4 collectable covers, I Am Shark, IAS015)

p_williams_spielberg_ultimate_col.jpg

John Williams/Steven Spielberg: The Ultimate Collection (2017, Sony Classical, Compilation)

CD 1 - The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration: Raiders Of The Lost Ark - The Raiders March; Always - Theme; E. T. - Adventures On Earth; Sugarland Express - Theme; Jaws - Theme; Jaws - Out To Sea / The Shark Cage Fugue; Empire Of The Sun - Exsultate Justi; Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom - Parade Of The Slave Children; E. T. - Over The Moon; 1941 - March; Empire Of The Sun - Cadillac Of The Skies; Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade - Scherzo For Motorcycle And Orchestra; Close Encounters Of The Third Kind - Excerpts; CD 2 - Williams on Williams – Classic Spielberg Scores: E. T. The Extra-Terrestial - Flying; Jurassic Park - Theme; Schindler's List - Remembrances; Hook - Flight To Neverland; 1941 - The Battle For Hollywood; Hook - Smee's Plan; Jaws - The Barrel Chase; Jurassic Park - My Friend, The Brachiosaurus ; Empire Of The Sun - Jim's New Life; Close Encounters Of The Third Kind - The Dialogue; Hook - The Lost Boys' Ballet; Schindler's List - Theme; Raiders Of The Lost Ark - The Basket Chase; Hook - The Face Of Pan; Hook - The Banquet. CD 3 - The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration Part III*: The Adventures of Mutt from "Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull"; Dry Your Tears, Afrika from "Amistad"; The BFG from "The BFG"; With Malice Toward None from "Lincoln"; The Duel from "The Adventures of Tintin"; A New Beginning from "Minority Report"; Escapades for Alto Saxophone and Orchestra from "Catch Me If You Can"; Marion's Theme from "Raiders of the Lost Ark"; Hymn to the Fallen from "Saving Private Ryan"; Dartmoor, 1912 from "War Horse"; Viktor's Tale from "The Terminal"; Prayer for Peace from "Munich"; Immigration and Building from "The Unfinished Journey"; With Malice Toward None from "Lincoln" (Alternate Version); DVD - Steven Spielberg & John Williams: The Adventure Continues. *Contains previously unreleased material.

p_spielberg_williams_collaboration_p3.jp

The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration Part III (2017, Sony Classical, Digital release; Clark, Erdody, Foster, Higgins, Hooten, Valerio, Grubinger, Williams, Recording Arts O of LA)

The Adventures of Mutt from "Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull"; Dry Your Tears, Afrika from "Amistad"; The BFG from "The BFG"; With Malice Toward None from "Lincoln"; The Duel from "The Adventures of Tintin"; A New Beginning from "Minority Report"; Escapades for Alto Saxophone and Orchestra from "Catch Me If You Can"; Marion's Theme from "Raiders of the Lost Ark"; Hymn to the Fallen from "Saving Private Ryan"; Dartmoor, 1912 from "War Horse"; Viktor's Tale from "The Terminal"; Prayer for Peace from "Munich"; Immigration and Building from "The Unfinished Journey"; With Malice Toward None from "Lincoln" (Alternate Version).

p_vcl03171178.jpg

Stanley & Iris: The Deluxe Edition/Pete 'n' Tillie (1990/1972) (2017, Varèse Sarabande, VCL03171178)

STANLEY & IRIS (1990): Stanley And Iris; The Bicycle; The Pink Sweater; Iris After Work; Stanley At Work; Looking After Papa; Entering The Library; Night Visit; Factory Work; Naming The Trees; Finding A Family; Lost In The Streets; Stanley's Invention; The Kitchen Table; Seeing The Baby; Reading Lessons; Growing Together; Putting It All Together; Letters; End Title; FILM VERSIONS: Stanley And Iris; Stanley At Work; Looking After Papa; Stanley's Invention; Putting It All Together; Letters; PETE 'N' TILLIE (1972): Pete 'n' Tillie — Main Title; Afterglow; Marriage Book; Bedroom Scene; Vacation; For Robbie; Funeral; Hospital; End Title and End Cast; Love Theme. "Pete 'n' Tillie": Previously unreleased original score.

p_LLLCD1420.jpg

E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial - 35th Anniversary Remastered Edition (1982) (2017, La-La Land Records, LLLCD 1420)

CD 1 - THE FILM SCORE PRESENTATION: Main Title; Far From Home / E.T. Alone; Bait for E.T.; Meeting E.T.; E.T.'s New Home; The Beginning of a Friendship; Toys; I'm Keeping Him; E.T.'s Powers; The Closet*; E.T. and Elliott Get Drunk; Frogs; At Home; The Magic of Halloween; Sending the Signal; Searching for E.T.; Invading Elliott's House; Stay With Me*; Losing E.T.; E.T. Is Alive; The Rescue and Bike Chase; The Departure; End Credits; CD 2 - THE 1982 SOUNDTRACK ALBUM: Three Million Light Years From Home; Abandoned and Pursued; E.T. and Me; E.T.'s Halloween; Flying; E.T. Phone Home; Over the Moon; Adventure on Earth; ADDITIONAL MUSIC: The E.T. Adventure*; Far From Home / E.T. Alone (alternate)**; The Encounter*; Meeting E.T. (alternate)*; E.T.'s New Home (alternate); The Kiss*; Levitation*; Searching for E.T. (alternate); Invading Elliott's House (alternate)**; E.T. Is Dying; The Departure (alternate); End Credits (alternate). **Contains previously unreleased music, *Previously unreleased music.

p_LLLCD1434.jpg

Thunder Road - The Film Music of Jack Marshall (2017, La-La Land Records, LLLCD 1434)

"Thunder Road": Featuring John T. Williams (p). Previously unreleased original scores from Thunder Road (1958), Take a Giant Step (1959) and The Rabbit Trap (1959).

p_LLLCD1423.jpg

Peyton Place/Hemingway's Adventures of a Young Man (1957/1962) (2017, La-La Land Records, LLLCD 1423, Compilation)

"Hemingway's Adventures of a Young Man": Featuring John Williams (p).

p_MOVCL033.jpg

(Reissued in 2017 as 2-LP, Music On Vinyl, MOVCL033)

And of course...

Discography as a Composer

• 2017 "Lights, Camera...Music! Six Decades of John Williams". Boston Pops Orchestra/Keith Lockhart. BSO Classics
  • 2017 "John Williams: Themes and Transcriptions for Piano". Simone Pedroni. Varèse Sarabande 3020674788.

Yes, already 5 "new releases", if we put apart the reissues. In 2016 there was 6 new releases for the entire year.  

We are still in september.  I think we can already count "CE3K" and "The Last Jedi" as 2017 releases. So it will make a least 7 releases for sure...  

For a JW completist, that's big years!!!

Just now, Stefancos said:

We have no way of knowing CE3K will come out in 2017. We know the album assembly has been approved, but things like artwork, liners might not be.

These things can take time.

I'm not against a 2018 release, it will allow us to fill up the bank! ;)

Just now, Disco Stu said:

Yes and obviously Last Jedi can already be counted as 2017.  The Post too.

The post... (bespin's slowly come back on earth)

The new 6-LP reissue of the "John Williams & Steven Spielberg - The Ultimate Collection" have been added:

p_williams_spielberg_ultimate_col.jpg

John Williams/Steven Spielberg: The Ultimate Collection (2017, Sony Classical, Compilation)

CD 1 - The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration: Raiders Of The Lost Ark - The Raiders March; Always - Theme; E. T. - Adventures On Earth; Sugarland Express - Theme; Jaws - Theme; Jaws - Out To Sea / The Shark Cage Fugue; Empire Of The Sun - Exsultate Justi; Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom - Parade Of The Slave Children; E. T. - Over The Moon; 1941 - March; Empire Of The Sun - Cadillac Of The Skies; Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade - Scherzo For Motorcycle And Orchestra; Close Encounters Of The Third Kind - Excerpts; CD 2 - Williams on Williams – Classic Spielberg Scores: E. T. The Extra-Terrestial - Flying; Jurassic Park - Theme; Schindler's List - Remembrances; Hook - Flight To Neverland; 1941 - The Battle For Hollywood; Hook - Smee's Plan; Jaws - The Barrel Chase; Jurassic Park - My Friend, The Brachiosaurus ; Empire Of The Sun - Jim's New Life; Close Encounters Of The Third Kind - The Dialogue; Hook - The Lost Boys' Ballet; Schindler's List - Theme; Raiders Of The Lost Ark - The Basket Chase; Hook - The Face Of Pan; Hook - The Banquet. CD 3 - The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration Part III*: The Adventures of Mutt from "Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull"; Dry Your Tears, Afrika from "Amistad"; The BFG from "The BFG"; With Malice Toward None from "Lincoln"; The Duel from "The Adventures of Tintin"; A New Beginning from "Minority Report"; Escapades for Alto Saxophone and Orchestra from "Catch Me If You Can"; Marion's Theme from "Raiders of the Lost Ark"; Hymn to the Fallen from "Saving Private Ryan"; Dartmoor, 1912 from "War Horse"; Viktor's Tale from "The Terminal"; Prayer for Peace from "Munich"; Immigration and Building from "The Unfinished Journey"; With Malice Toward None from "Lincoln" (Alternate Version); DVD - Steven Spielberg & John Williams: The Adventure Continues. *Contains previously unreleased material.

p_MOVATM200.jpg

(Reissued in 2017 as 6-LP, Music On Vinyl, MOVATM200

Oops and these other compilations that contains tracks conducted or composed by John Williams...

p_WTM39197.jpg

The Music Of DC Comics: 75th Anniversary Collection (2010, WaterTower Music, WTM39197, Compilation)

Music composed and conducted by John Williams: Theme From Superman.

p_WTM39804.jpg

The Music Of DC Comics: Volume 2 (2016, WaterTower Music, WTM39804, Compilation)

Music composed and conducted by John Williams: The Flying Sequence / Can You Read My Mind (Feat. Margot Kidder), Lex Luthor's Lair.

p_MOVATM127.jpg

(Reissued in 2016 as 2-LP, Music On Vinyl, MOVATM127)

p_G010003652371I.jpg

Bernstein: Chamber & Concert Music (2017, Sony Classical, G010003652371I, Compilation)

Music conducted by John Williams/BPO: Olympic Hymn.

Just yesterday I thought that you probably have missed the 25-CD set of Bernstein, as it includes the 1996 recording by Williams of Olympic Hymn. I see you didn't let that one pass through you unnoticed :)

Anyway, you will surely want to add this upcoming box to the list:
https://www.bso.org/Merchandise/Detail/91774

Done.

I didn't have scanned the web since many days, if you see something else... Thanks @Miguel Andrade!

Of course, you already understood the concept, I add only those various artists compilations for the usual labels associated with John Williams.

p_G010003652371I.jpg

Bernstein: Chamber & Concert Music (2017, Sony Classical, G010003652371I, Compilation)

p_88985345312.jpg

Leonard Bernstein: The Composer (2017, Sony Classical, G010003652371I, 25 CD, Compilation)

p_4797718.jpg

Boston Symphony Orchestra: Complete Recordings on Deutsche Grammophon (2017, Deutsche Grammophon, 4797718, 57 CD, Compilation)

"Treesong, Violin concerto": Music composed and conducted by John Williams/BSO.

• 2 weeks later...

A new expansion has been added to the discography:

p_602557915709.jpg

Funny Face - 60th Anniversary Edition (2017, Verve, 602557915709)

Featuring John Williams (p). Contains previously unreleased material.

http://www.goplanete.com/johnwilliams/music/disco/albums.htm

___

A 7th recording of the Concerto for Tuba has been added in the "discography as a composer" section:

p_NYPO_175.jpg

New York Philharmonic Orchestra - 175th Anniversay - 2016/2017 Season (2017, New York Philharmonic Digital Release; Bray, Baer/New York Philh. O/Gilbert, Robertson)

John Williams: Concerto for Tuba and Orchestra (Baer, New York Philh. O, Robertson).

http://www.goplanete.com/johnwilliams/music/composer/concert.htm

Help! We're drowning in recordings of the tuba concerto.

Funny thing about FUNNY FACE -- in an interview, JW said he actually wrote some music for that [something like "one day FUNNY FACE came on TV, and I suddenly remembered writing something for that"], but I think he was just momentarily confused.

• 2 weeks later...

WEBSITE UPDATE.

Heavy Potter 10 LPs boxset added.

p_HarryPotterBOXLP.jpg

Harry Potter: Original Motion Picture Soundtracks I-V (2017, Rhino, Compilation, 10 LPs)

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (2001), Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (2002), Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004): Composed and Conducted by John Williams; Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005): Composed and Conducted by Patrick Doyle; Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2007): Composed by Nicholas Hooper.

I just added this new EP, I simply missed it.

Tell me if I miss other reissues!

2017 "Star Wars - A New Hope". Main Title / The Throne Room and End Title Walt Disney Records

p_418458129656.jpg

Link: http://www.goplanete.com/johnwilliams/music/disco/singles.htm

6 hours ago, Richard said:

Again, my thanks to you. I'll investigate.

Have 4 new ears been implanted on your head?

3 hours ago, Richard said:

Yeah, and a sub :lol:

What can I say, Bes? I like listening to music in 5.1.

It's no sense! Even the conductor hear the music in front of him, he's not "INTO" music. absurd. There's not use to listen to music like if we "ARE" in the music.

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « star wars  madness »

A properly formed Jedi always listen to music in front of two speakers.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

Well that's what makes it interesting surely?  A way to experience the music in an entirely new way that would be impossible in a live setting?

I see no problem here. 

Only a Sith could say that.

I'm not saying everything should be released/recorded like that or that it's better than standard stereo, but for those who can afford it and find it interesting it's pretty neat.

Anyway @Bespin, I see you haven't even updated Wikipedia to include "Markings" so I don't even wanna talk to you!  Shape up!

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

Markings... does it have been recorded on an album?

Look here instead: http://www.goplanete.com/johnwilliams/composer/index.htm

Who keeps up the "List of John Williams compositions"?!  Surely someone here.

51 minutes ago, Richard said:

Only a Jedi would think in absolutes.

If you want to learn about music, you must embrace a wider view of sound, rather than the narrow thinking of the 2-channel purist Jedi.

Trust your feelings you'll know the truth.

@Disco Stu Why don't take the job? Here's the article, it's obviously not uptodate, but it's all yours: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_compositions_by_John_Williams

I took the control of the Wiki discography, because it was originally a mess. While reconstruct it, it gave me the idea to make my own website.

And, even if no onre here like the countings of the wiki article, it allow me today to affirm that JW released 142 studio albums in his career so far.

So if you are a new collector of John Williams's music... Be afraid.. 142!!!

That's the minimum albums you have to get, before starting to call yourself "a completist". ;)

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

If I'm not mistaken, the 1996 E.T. album is not featured in the category expansions.

He calls that the first release of the score instead of an expansion since the '82 OST was largely (but not completely, notably) a re-recording/re-arrangement.

No, I don't agree with it either.