Bespin

7 hours ago, Junion said:

Artist: Jerry Goldsmith

• Album: Face of Fugitive
  • Featuring John Williams (piano); Intrada Special Collection ISC 466; Recorded December 1958; Released March 23, 2021

We've talked a bit about it in the thread dedicated to the release. Alas, you won't hear much piano in the score proper. Only in the bonus source cues. But it belongs in a discography, of course.

Do you know HTML? I have to find a partner to help me getting up to date on my website, unfortunately I don't have enough time!

5 hours ago, Bespin said:

Do you know HTML? I have to find a partner to help me getting up to date on my website, unfortunately I don't have enough time!

Yes, I do. Would be glad to help out and to keep your website updated.

5 hours ago, Jay said:

Huh, I didn't know he had already arranged Smoke Gets In Your Eyes before it was in Always

And WOWIE WOW!  This arrangement is freaking gorgeous!

(7:08)

There was also a single release from album "For Losers Only":

Artist: Sonny King

• Songs: "Masquerade", "You`re Nobody Till Somebody Loves You"
  • Arrangements by Johnny Williams; Colpix CP 107; Released January, 1959

By the way, here is a single that is missing in your discography:

Artist: Henry Mancini and His Orchestra

• Songs: "Fallout!", "Dreamsville"
  • Johnny Williams (Piano); RCA Victor No. 47-7442; Recorded August & September, 1958; Released January, 1959

On 4/22/2021 at 9:05 PM, Disco Stu said:

And WOWIE WOW!  This arrangement is freaking gorgeous

It is indeed. THAT should have been on the ALWAYS album/in the film among the myriad of different "Smoke" versions. Alas, only a few tracks from the King album appears to be on Spotify, but nice that the whole thing is on Youtube, at least.

4 hours ago, Junion said:

By the way, here is a single that is missing in your discography:

• Songs: "Fallout!", "Dreamsville"
  • Johnny Williams (Piano); RCA Victor No. 47-7442; Recorded August & September, 1958; Released January, 1959

These are tracks from the first PETER GUNN album. I assume they're just taken from that.

@JunionOk you've passed the test, and I don't have time to manage my website anymore.

Please send me your email address in private, I'll send you a password to my FTP account.

Thanks!

On 4/29/2021 at 6:20 AM, Thor said:

These are tracks from the first PETER GUNN album. I assume they're just taken from that.

You are right! There is even a second single release with tracks taken from album "Peter Gunn",

• Songs: "Peter Gunn Theme", "The Brothers Go To Mother`s"
  • Johnny Williams (Piano); RCA Victor No. 47-7460; Recorded August & September, 1958; Released February, 1959

Both singles have been added to the Discography: http://www.goplanete.com/johnwilliams/music/disco/singles.htm

On 26/05/2018 at 3:38 PM, Miguel Andrade said:

Lew Raymond recorded a number of albums for the Tops/Mayfair/Golden Tone label (they were all owned by Dave Pell, just with different price tags) around 1957, so it's likely that more of those had Williams on the piano bench, but we just don't get any further information on that on the back cover notes, besides those already mentioned earlier.

@Miguel Andrade

You have predicted it! There is another album recorded with Lew Raymond`s Orchestra featuring John Williams on the piano:)

Artist: Georgia Carr

• Album: Songs by a Moody Miss Georgia Carr: America`s Foremost Night Club Singer
  • Featuring John T.Williams (piano); Tops Records L 1617
  • Recorded at Radio Recorders, Los Angeles, December 18-20, 1957
  • Released in 1958
  • Reissued in 2019, Fresh Sound Records

It is also available on youtube:

Discography is updated:

http://www.goplanete.com/johnwilliams/music/disco/albums.htm

Carmen McRae&Georgia Carr.PNG

Jerry Goldsmith.PNG

• 4 weeks later...

It`s a new month and I think it`s time for a new finding! As you know, in the beginning of his career, John Williams played as pianist with Russel Garcia and his orchestra. Two albums are already well-known,

• The Johnny Ever Green`s by Russel Garcia and
  • Listen To The Music of Russel Garcia

Well, in February 1958, John Williams was another time part of an all-star orchestra arranged and conducted by Russel Garcia. The album is called "Come Swing with Me" by artist Tony Travis. Interesting fact, Tony Travis was not only a singer but also an actor in the 1950s and 60s. He appeared on several TV shows, one of them was "M Squad".:)

Artist: Tony Travis

• Album: Come Swing with Me
  • Featuring Johnny Williams (piano & celeste); Verve Records MGV-2100
  • Recorded at Radio Recorders, Los Angeles, February 5, 11 and 18, 1958
  • Released in 1958
  • Reissued in 2020, Fresh Sound Records

p_MGV2100.jpg

Interesting. Is this a licensed re-release based on the original masters, or is it a public domain release taken from an LP copy?

The album is also part of this twofer release:

It's also on CD.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Your-Face-Before-Come-Swing/dp/B08HTGGBP4/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=tony+travis+come+swing+with+me&qid=1622540810&sr=8-1

Yes, that`s the reissue by Fresh Sound Records, which is a public domain release taken from an LP copy. 

The original record was already released in 1958.

Please also check an interview with Jordi Pujol who is the owner of Spain`s Fresh Sound label:

https://www.jazzwax.com/2011/11/interview-jori-pujol.html

3 hours ago, Junion said:

Yes, that`s the reissue by Fresh Sound Records

The label is stated to be Best Voices Time Forgot, not Fresh Sound Records, so I assume we're talking about two different public domain releases.

Ah, I see Fresh Sound is indeed the label, while Best Voices Time Forgot is the series of releases.

https://www.discogs.com/Tony-Travis-I-See-Your-Face-Before-Me-Come-Swing-With-Me/release/16032124

• 3 weeks later...

Discography updated with "Always" expansion, Reissue of "A.I. Artificial Intelligence" as 20th Anniversary Limited Edition and the first official release of "Images" approved by John Williams

http://www.goplanete.com/johnwilliams/music/disco/albums.htm

grafik.png

grafik.png

grafik.png

Thanks a lot for your credits @Bespin. I‘m delighted to contribute to this unique discography as it illustrates the incredible works of John Williams as conductor, orchestrator, pianist etc. in more than 60 years. There might be other discographies of him but this one is made with passion and the requirement to provide detailed and correct information. It’s quite a lot of time to keep the website updated but it’s worth for all fans who would like to have an overview of the releases since 1956.

In this regard, after my holidays I will let you know another undiscovered album with artist John Williams. Stay tuned...

• 4 weeks later...

Anita O`Day was a successful American jazz singer who worked with Gene Krupa and Stand Kenton in the 1940s. In April 1958 her album "Anita O`Day Sings The Winners" was recorded and young John Williams took part in one of the recording sessions. Concept of this album was to pick the "winners" from top jazz as well as orchestral charts like Miles Davis, Duke Ellington or Dizzy Gillespie.

On April 3, John Williams contributed as session pianist in the orchestra conducted by Marty Paich to the following three album tracks: "Interlude (A Night in Tunisia)", "Four" and "Early Autumn".

Artist: Anita O`Day

• Album: Anita O`Day Sings The Winners
  • Featuring John Williams (piano) on tracks "Interlude (Night in Tunisia)", "Four" and "Early autumn"; Verve Records; MGV-8283
  • Recorded at Radio Recorders, Los Angeles, April 2&3, 1958
  • Released in 1958
  • Reissued in 1990

IMG_9890.jpg

1 hour ago, Junion said:

Info was taken from her discography that can be found here: 

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?/topic/20915-anita-oday-mosaic-discography/

Awesome... another disc to add to my collection :)

Somehow, I seem to remember we've talked about that release before, but I'm probably misremembering. Anyways, thanks for the heads-up, Junion.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is another Collaboration Album with Dave Pell that must be added to John Williams` discography.

Artist: Dave Pell Octet

• Album: The Old South Wails
  • Featuring Johnny Williams or Marty Paich (piano); Capitol; (S)T1512
  • Tracks "Tishomingo Blues" and "Manhattan" arranged by Johnny Williams
  • Recorded at Capitol Tower Studios, Hollywood, October 31, November 1 & 4, 1960
  • Released March 20, 1961
  • Reissued in 2013

p_st1512.jpg

I have added "The Old South Wails" album to the discography and made two adjustments of release dates.

• "The Big Small Bands" (Capitol, ST1309) by Dave Pell; Released in 1960 (not 1957)
  • "I Remember John Kirby" (Capitol, ST1687) by Dave Pell; Released in 1962 (not 1959)

IMG_0256.jpg