Bespin

Discography has been updated with albums "The President`s Own", "The Eiger Sanction" including the premiere release of the film score recording and the reissue of "Superman-The Movie" by Mondo.

http://www.goplanete.com/johnwilliams/music/disco/albums.htm

President.PNG

Eiger.PNG

Superman.PNG

Wiki is up to date as well. There are 260 albums (149 Studio albums & 111 Collaborations).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Williams_discography

Wiki.PNG

Why just one new album (149) if you added "The President's Own" and "The Eiger Sanction Premiere score recording" to the albums, did the count was wrong before?

"The President`s Own" was already added to Wikipedia in January and marked as the 148th album. Though, it was missing on the goplanete website.

Therefore, I have added both albums to  http://www.goplanete.com/johnwilliams/music/disco/albums.htm  and only "The Eiger Sanction film score recording" to Wiki.

Here is your comment posted in January this year;)

On 1/11/2021 at 11:51 AM, Bespin said:

Wiki discography updated with the new album recorded live with the USA Marine Band.

This album is the 148th album of JW (253rd if you count the Collabs!)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Williams_discography#Albums

image.png

I was just checking if you followed!!! :P

So "The Eiger Sanction Premiere Score" represents John Williams's 148th "Original" album, released with just a little delay of... well, only 46 years!

Great!

5 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

There's still the old OST, which Thor says sounds fine.

But which is a RE-RECORDING.

I think Thor would be able to make an effort for these rare cases of re-recorded scores in JW's discography!

BTW the score of Checkmate is yet to be released... if it exists... the album is a re-recording.

I have noticed that the Main Title Theme from the CBS-TV Network Show, "Gunslinger", is missing in the JW discography. This song as well as "Wanted Man" were performed by Frankie Laine, conducted by Johnny Williams and released as single in 1961. So, I have just added it.

Artist: Frankie Laine

• Songs: "Gunslinger", "Wanted Man"
  • Orchestra & Chorus conducted by Johnny Williams; Columbia No. 4-41974; Recorded 16 December 1960 & 3 February 1961; Released 20 March, 1961

• 2 weeks later...

Added a single release from the MGM film "Penelope" to JW discography.

Artist: The Pennypipers

• Song: "Penelope"
  • Composed, produced & conducted by Johnny Williams; MGM K13625 (Promo)
  • Lyrics by Leslie Bricusse
  • Released 17 December, 1966

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Thor said:

Another great find, Junion. Also unfamiliar to me.

Agreed! Thanks, @Junion!

Looks the album was paired with another Four Freshman album and released on CD. Available fairly inexpensively, so I ordered a copy.

Thanks a lot for your feedback!

Indeed, the affordable album was part of the series "Two On One" (Two albums on one CD) by the Capitol Records label in association with EMI.

More info can be found on http://www.goplanete.com/johnwilliams/music/disco/albums.htm

Four Freshmen.PNG

On 7/21/2021 at 10:09 AM, Junion said:

Anita O`Day was a successful American jazz singer who worked with Gene Krupa and Stand Kenton in the 1940s. In April 1958 her album "Anita O`Day Sings The Winners" was recorded and young John Williams took part in one of the recording sessions. Concept of this album was to pick the "winners" from top jazz as well as orchestral charts like Miles Davis, Duke Ellington or Dizzy Gillespie.

On April 3, John Williams contributed as session pianist in the orchestra conducted by Marty Paich to the following three album tracks: "Interlude (A Night in Tunisia)", "Four" and "Early Autumn".

Artist: Anita O`Day

• Album: Anita O`Day Sings The Winners
  • Featuring John Williams (piano) on tracks "Interlude (Night in Tunisia)", "Four" and "Early autumn"; Verve Records; MGV-8283; Recorded at Radio Recorders, Los Angeles, April 2&3, 1958; Reissued in 1990

IMG_9890.jpg

Finally got a copy of the 1990 CD reissue of this one. It includes credits for most performers (flute on the Marty Paich sessions is credited to unknown, though on the discography you linked to, the flute player was Herbie Mann :p ) but as far as piano, Paich himself is credited... actually twice! One just as Marty Paich (p) and a couple of entries later Marty Paich (p. arr). Neither Williams nor Rowles are listed as pianists on the Marty Paich Orchestra set of songs. But since the credits are obviously incomplete on the CD, I'm inclined to trust on the info from the link you provided earlier.

Yeah, I guess the credits are incomplete on the 1990 reissue.

Below you can find an extract of the booklet "The Complete Anita O`Day Verve/Clef Sessions". It is confirmed that Jimmy Rowles or John Williams played piano and Marty Paich as well as Russel Garcia did the arrangements on 3 April, 1958.

mbid-a493f3a5-ab10-43d4-83fd-1feee122665

Yes, that was what I thought.

By the way, while browsing Discogs, found out a Williams credit on Sinatra's "Sings Only For the Lonely": https://www.discogs.com/Frank-Sinatra-Frank-Sinatra-Sings-For-Only-The-Lonely/release/12770175

I went through all the data on that page, and I'm totally convinced this is indeed (our) John Towner Williams, and not the other John T. Williams. 

I'll be getting this recording soon (actually, might have some of the tracks on a Sinatra compilation).

Yes, it is John Towner Williams! He is credited as John Williams, Jr. on three tracks recorded June 24, 1958. 

https://sinatraology.com/person/view/870

Artist: Frank Sinatra

• Album: Frank Sinatra Sings For Only The Lonely
  • Featuring John Williams, Jr. & Bill Miller (piano) on tracks "Blues In The Night" , "What`s New?" & "Gone With The Wind"; Capitol Records; (S)W1053
  • Recorded at Capitol Tower Studios, Hollywood, May 29, June 24 & 25, 1958;
  • Released September 8, 1958; Reissued as 60th Anniversary Edition in 2018

@Junion Where you already aware of this?

This entry is quite interesting... The Williams/Sinatra connection gets larger:

Early years in NYC - Young Johnny attends radio broadcast where his father works as percussionist with Sinatra singing;

1958 - Williams plays on a few of the songs for "Only The Lonely" album;

1965 - Williams scores "None But the Brave", the only film Sinatra directed;

1973 - Sinatra records Williams' song "Dream Away" for his "Old Blue Eyes Back" album;

1970's - Williams and the Bergmans work on a 4-song cycle for Sinatra, which he ended never performing. Only surviving song is "The Same Hello, The Same Goodbye";

1984 - "Sinatra and Company", Williams conducts members of the NY Phil in a gala with Sinatra, Pavarotti and more;

1993- "Night and Day: Boston Pops Celebrate Sinatra" released.

I think I'm missing something, but can't remember what... Also, I think Williams did conduct for Sinatra at the Hollywood Bowl once, but can't recall the source of that.

Now, there is an interesting story, that I've always though might have something to do with Sinatra. Back in the early 90's, Williams mentioned in several interviews he was trying to bring to the Pops this great celebrity, but things never materialized. He went to the point of saying, sometime in late '93 or early '94, that doing "Schindler's List" in Boston with Perlman, was kind of a consolation prize for being unable to bring this always unmentioned guest to Boston. Anyway, in the back of my head I've always wondered if he was referring to Frank Sinatra.

Yes, they had a long and fruitful collaboration; presumably also friendship. I believe we tried to find a photo of Sinatra and Williams together awhile back, but I don't think anyone found anything.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

Yes, they had a long and fruitful collaboration; presumably also friendship. I believe we tried to find a photo of Sinatra and Williams together awhile back, but I don't think anyone found anything.

Yes. Such a picture would be great. 

By the way, I've been told a recording of the radio broadcast of the 1984 concert exists as a bootleg, but I've never been able to locate it.

4 hours ago, Miguel Andrade said:

@Junion Where you already aware of this?

This entry is quite interesting... The Williams/Sinatra connection gets larger:

Early years in NYC - Young Johnny attends radio broadcast where his father works as percussionist with Sinatra singing;

1958 - Williams plays on a few of the songs for "Only The Lonely" album;

Well, I`ve known John Williams`father worked as percussionist with Frank Sinatra but did not have further info about recordings. That`s why I was checking Sinatra`s discography in order to gather more details and became successful even twice. :)

On the one hand, I obtained data of the John Williams` Jr. credit. On the other hand, I also got details about a recording with his father. Johnny Williams is credited on two tracks as session musician of an orchestra conducted by Morris Stoloff for the musical comedy film "Pal Joey" starring Rita Hayworth, Frank Sinatra and Kim Novak. Both tracks "I Didn`t Know What Time It Was" and "Dream Sequence and Finale" were recorded September 25, 1957.

https://sinatraology.com/person/view/2851

• 1 month later...

Discography is updated with album "Frank Sinatra Sings For Only The Lonely" as well as the La-Land Records releases "The Time Tunnel (Volume 1)" and "The Time Tunnel (Volume 2)".

Sinatra.PNG

Time Tunnel.PNG

In early 1962, there was another single release from the TV Production "PETER GUNN" featuring Johnny Williams and his orchestra.

Artist: Mike Clifford

• Song: "Joanna"
  • Featuring Johnny Williams and His Orchestra
  • Columbia No. 4-42335
  • Released February 16, 1962

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

What was the last year where he was still playing film score sessions?

Providing it's true that he played on Mancini's THE GREAT RACE (you never know when information you thought was correct, turns out to be debunked years later), that would be 1965. Since 1958, his session work had just been a "side business" anyway.

By the way, Junion, nice find with the JAMES DEAN STORY information. The Altman/Williams connection goes back further than I had imagined. Also, any information on session work in 56 and 57 is very welcome, as that's the period we have the least information in his professional career.

So really he was a full-time session musician (as in in main income source) for only a pretty short period of time in the 50s?

Then there was the period of late 50s to mid 60s where he split his time between composing for TV/film and arranging/conducting albums for others, with less and less session (piano) work.

Then after the mid-60s he was pretty much only composing for TV/film (with less and less TV with each year, and beginning to branch into more concert music).

Is that pretty much right?

4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

What was the last year where he was still playing film score sessions?

Yes, based on existing information it was 1965.

In that year, he composed the soundtrack of NONE BUT THE BRAVE. It was conducted by Morris Stoloff and John Williams himself played the "Piano Theme".

Unfortunately, it`s not really clear if he played on Mancini`s THE GREAT RACE. In 2017, La-La Land Records released the original film score plus the original, 1965 re-recorded LP album tracks. Actually, John Williams is neither credited as pianist on the film score nor on the re-recording but Pearl Kaufman, James G. Rowles (aka Jimmy Rowles) and Ray Sherman.

On the other hand, he is mentioned as part of the Soundtrack Personnel in "Jazz on the Screen" by David Meeker (see here: https://www.loc.gov/item/jots.200025045/)!  It would be great if that could be confirmed!

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

So really he was a full-time session musician (as in in main income source) for only a pretty short period of time in the 50s?

Then there was the period of late 50s to mid 60s where he split his time between composing for TV/film and arranging/conducting albums for others, with less and less session (piano) work.

Then after the mid-60s he was pretty much only composing for TV/film (with less and less TV with each year, and beginning to branch into more concert music).

Is that pretty much right?

Yes, sort of. Williams originally didn't have any intention to be a fulltime film composer. But when he signed with Revue studios in the summer of '58 (kudos to Stanley Wilson for signing this young talent that had been a buzz name for two years), that became the path, and he embraced it. Television composing took up a good amount of time (sometimes you had to compose an episode score in a matter of days), eventually he could toggle between television and the occasional feature film.

Gradually, session work became more and more of a side business (although an ACTIVE side business -- he was involved with a great deal of albums as a session musician untill the mid 60s). It was a gradual and organic process, though. When the Revue contract ran out in 63 or 64 (depending on whether it was a 5-year or 6-year contract, sources differ), he mostly did pilots as a freelancer. So television was winding down (1968's LAND OF THE GIANTS being the very last thing he did, mostly as a favour to Allen since he had pretty much abandoned television series by then -- especially after his "breakthrough" year as a feature film composer in 1966).

1 hour ago, Junion said:

Unfortunately, it`s not really clear if he played on Mancini`s THE GREAT RACE. In 2017, La-La Land Records released the original film score plus the original, 1965 re-recorded LP album tracks. Actually, John Williams is neither credited as pianist on the film score nor on the re-recording but Pearl Kaufman, James G. Rowles (aka Jimmy Rowles) and Ray Sherman.

If THE GREAT RACE doesn't qualify (and I'm open to that possibility), you have things like the Shelley Manne album THAT'S GERSHWIN, which was also 1965. Providing you also count arranging as 'session work'.

On 05/11/2021 at 11:38 AM, Junion said:

One of John Williams` earliest contributions to a soundtrack as pianist were the recording sessions for the motion picture "The James Dean Story" in 1957. This film was directed, produced and edited by Robert Altman and George W. George. The musical score was composed and conducted by Leith Stevens.

John Williams was only 25 years old when he played the piano in Leith Stevens`orchestra for the soundtrack of this legendary documentary about the short life of James Dean, in which there are no actors and there is no fiction.

Artist: Leith Stevens

• Album: The James Dean Story 
  • Featuring John Williams (piano); Capitol Records; W-881
  • Recorded at Capitol Tower Studios, Hollywood, May 10 & 11, 1957
  • Released July, 1957; Reissued as Special 50th Anniversary Commemorative Collection in 2005

IMG_2502.jpg

Since this was directed by Robert Altman, one can even say this was their first collaboration (Williams and Altman later worked for television and they were very close to the point that Williams even scored a family movie. Naturally, their relation is more well remembered for Images and The Long Goodbye).

It is quite strange, because in the Robert Altman: Oral Biography book, Williams indirectly says he first met the director on KRAFT MYSTERY THEATRE, which would then be in the spring of '63 (he doesn't say specifically it was the first time meeting him, but he phrases himself in a way that gives that impression). Perhaps there wasn't much of a connection on THE JAMES DEAN STORY in '57, but who knows? 

9 hours ago, Thor said:

It is quite strange, because in the Robert Altman: Oral Biography book, Williams indirectly says he first met the director on KRAFT MYSTERY THEATRE, which would then be in the spring of '63 (he doesn't say specifically it was the first time meeting him, but he phrases himself in a way that gives that impression). Perhaps there wasn't much of a connection on THE JAMES DEAN STORY in '57, but who knows? 

It wasn't a collaboration in the real sense of the word, after all Williams was in the orchestra playing for Stevens. Maybe I should rephrase it to the first connection between the two of them.

True. I wouldn't be surprised if, when Williams met Altman in the corridors of Revue prior to first working together on "The Image Merchants", he would say "So Bob, you know I played piano on a movie you did 6 years ago....". :)

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Bespin said:

@Junionplease feel free to update the "arrangements" section of the disco, thanks!

http://www.goplanete.com/johnwilliams/arranger/index.htm

Done:)

First album track "Java Junction" was definitely arranged by Marty Paich.

https://www.jwpepper.com/Java+Junction/11355338.item

• 2 weeks later...

As a nice suggestion from @Jurassic Shark, I renamed the sections of the discography.

image.png

It's online, I just hope @Junion will not have problem continuing to make his wonderful work, discovering and adding new collaboration albums!

Looks good, but the menu item "performances by others" also contains stuff performed by JW (such as I Love a Parade). Perhaps it would make more sense to change the last item back to JW as composer? 

• JW as performer (conductor or pianist)
  • JW as composer

6 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Looks good, but the menu item "performances by others" also contains stuff performed by JW (such as I Love a Parade). Perhaps it would make more sense to change the last item back to JW as composer? 

• JW as performer (conductor or pianist)
  • JW as composer

Done!

On 04/12/2021 at 4:51 PM, Bespin said:

As a nice suggestion from @Jurassic Shark, I renamed the sections of the discography.

It's online, I just hope @Junion will not have problem continuing to make his wonderful work, discovering and adding new collaboration albums!

Great idea! I think it`s more intuitive now as you can select between albums as performer (conductor or pianist) and albums as composer. My only suggestion is to rename sub menu item "Concert works" to "Concert works performed by John Williams or others". Then it`s obvious that John Williams not just composed but also performed on several concert albums that cannot be found under menu item "John Williams as performer (conductor or pianist)".

I have added the 50th Anniversary Remastered Limited Edition (3-CD Set) of "Fiddler on The Roof" by La-La Land Records as well as the 40th Anniversary Edition Single (Picture Disc Vinyl) of "Raiders of The Lost Ark" by Walt Disney Records to the discography.

Fiddler on the Roof.PNG