Bespin

I have added another collaboration album, "Dreamsville", to the Wiki discography as well as the EP. Lola Albright was a model, an actress and singer who became 92 years old. She played Edi Hart, the girlfriend of Peter Gunn on the series of the same name. She was singing on that series which is why "Dreamsville" was recorded during that time in February 1959 and released in August 1959 by Columbia Records. This album was arranged by Henry Mancini and featured his orchestra. 

Here is the wonderful song "Dreamsville" featuring John Williams on piano.

The LP was released on CD twice. I own the Fresh Sound Records release titled "Lola Albright ‎– The Jazz Singer On The ‘Peter Gunn’ TV Series", that also includes the album "Lola Wants You" and some bonus tracks from TV recordings.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, rough cut said:

@Bespin Under "Soundtracks using John Williams's Themes", you're missing the limited edition of Superman Returns by Lalaland Records.

www.discogs.com/release/6514545-John-Ottman-Superman-Returns-Music-From-The-Motion-Picture

No photo description available.

Indeed, the original OST is there, but this section needs an update.

Help @Junion  :lol:

Well, the unofficial expanded version can be ordered here:

https://elitesoundtracks.com/products/rogue-one-a-star-wars-story-2-x-cd-expanded-score-special-edition-michael-giacchino/

Actually, I cannot open the link you have provided and don‘t see the correct cover. Is there another link? Thanks

5 minutes ago, Junion said:

Dude, that's a bootleg

5 minutes ago, Junion said:

Actually, I cannot open the link you have provided and don‘t see the correct cover. Is there another link? Thanks

You cannot open this link?

https://music.apple.com/nz/album/rogue-one-a-star-wars-story-original-motion-picture/1608226285

What do you mean?  Did you try a different browser perhaps?

Anyways, the URL for the cover art at that link is here:

https://is3-ssl.mzstatic.com/image/thumb/Music126/v4/f3/48/13/f348135a-c590-7b00-9d43-bbc8d778395c/22UMGIM11271.rgb.jpg/1400x1400bb.webp

Ok, have replaced the bootleg and cover with the new official expanded edition of the digital release by Walt Disney Records.:up:

Furthermore, I have added the expanded 4-LP edition by Mondo Records.

http://www.goplanete.com/johnwilliams/music/composer/themes.htm

• 1 month later...

The discography is updated with the following releases by Deutsche Grammophon:

"John Williams Live in Vienna" (album, 2021)

"The Berlin Concert" (album & single, 2022)

And there is also a new single entry taken from the album "André Previn In Hollywood".

Artist: André Previn

• Songs: "Fascination", "The Last Time I Saw Paris"
  • Orchestra arranged & conducted by Johnny Williams; Columbia No. 3-8834;
  • Recorded on August 14, 1962
  • Released in November 1963

31 minutes ago, Thor said:

What do you mean, single entry? That those two tracks from the album were also released as a single?

Exactly, this single was part of the Stereo Seven LP series, a Stereo recording on a 7 inch disc that had a special 33 1/3 RPM mechanism.

73A39855-70F3-47BD-90A8-0807424CE2F7.jpeg

FC41AECC-51B1-4A26-9F09-A4A35F23624B.jpeg

• 2 months later...

JW Discography and Wikipedia are updated with albums:

• SpaceCamp (Expanded Original Motion Picture Soundtrack, 2022)
  • Presumed Innocent: The Deluxe Edition (Complete Score, 2022)
  • A Gathering of Friends (Collaboration album with cellist Yo-Yo Ma, 2022)

http://www.goplanete.com/johnwilliams/music/disco/albums.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Williams_discography

Added also the new single

• Obi-Wan Kenobi Theme (Digital Release, 2022)

...and an EP from 1960

• " The Mancini Touch" by Henry Mancini and His Orchestra feat. Johnny Williams, piano (1960)

http://www.goplanete.com/johnwilliams/music/disco/singles.htm

Artist: Henry Mancini and His Orchestra

• Songs: "Like Young", "Robbin`s Nest", "A Cool Shade of Blue", "Let`s Walk"
  • Featuring Johnny Williams (piano); RCA Victor EPA-4351;
  • Recorded on August 10-14, 1959
  • Released in 1960

Enjoy the track "A Cool Shade of Blue":

BTW, if you ask why the Galaxy's Edge is not in the "Singles" section of the performing disco, it's because it is not conducted by John Williams himself (look here for it : http://www.goplanete.com/johnwilliams/music/composer/others.htm).

Thanks @Junion!

• 1 month later...

@JunionGood work on the Wiki page! I saw that you separated the soundtracks from the studio albums. It's nice to see the numbers, a thing I like less is that it removes the "chronological" aspect.... but to see that chronology, we still have the "Somewhere in my Memory" disco! ;)

image.png

4 minutes ago, Stu said:

I hardly ever use that particular wiki page, I find the "List of compositions" page far more suited to my purposes most of the time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_compositions_by_John_Williams

I always tried to keep the composition page of the Somewhere in My Memory up to date, but I never touched this wiki page.

Refer to it at your own peril, it's not "us".

26 minutes ago, Bespin said:

@JunionGood work on the Wiki page! I saw that you separated the soundtracks from the studio albums. It's nice to see the numbers, a thing I like less is that it removes the "chronological" aspect.... but to see that chronology, we still have the "Somewhere in my Memory" disco! ;)

image.png

Thanks @Bespin! Yes, my purpose was to distinguish between Studio albums, Live albums and Soundtrack albums as the Wikipedia template contains these options. There are a lot of fans who are aware about his film scores and can easily navigate to the Soundtracks now. On the other hand, the "Somewhere in my Memory" discography lists all albums from the 1950s until 2022 on one page in a chronological order. Both ways are fine to me. :)

"Somewhere in my Memory" and Wikipedia discographies have been updated with albums:

• Jurassic Park (Remastered and Expanded Original Motion Picture Soundtrack, 2022)
  • Violin Concerto No.2 & Selected Film Themes (Collaboration album feat. violinist Anne-Sophie Mutter, 2022)
  • Hollywood Bowl 100: The First 100 Years of Music (Various artist compilation album)

The latter is a new limited edition 7-LP box set that includes 2 tracks composed and conducted by John Williams, which were recorded at the Bowl:

1. Theme from Schindler`s List (Recorded September 04, 2016)
  2. "Flight to Neverland" from Hook (Recorded September 02, 2018) / Listening sample

Click here to get more information.

• 6 months later...

Williams also arranged and conducted 6 songs for Vic Damone for release on single, and not included on their album together. Of those, 4 songs were released back in 1961 in two singles. The two other ended up being released as part of Damone compilations.

I know, not as interesting as if it included Williams own compositions...

I'll check the details tomorrow in case you don't have those listed on your page.

12 hours ago, Miguel Andrade said:

Williams also arranged and conducted 6 songs for Vic Damone for release on single, and not included on their album together. Of those, 4 songs were released back in 1961 in two singles. The two other ended up being released as part of Damone compilations.

I know, not as interesting as if it included Williams own compositions...

I'll check the details tomorrow in case you don't have those listed on your page.

Actually, there are even 7 songs for release on single John Williams did in collaboration with Vic Damone!

As you said, 4 songs were released as two singles which are:

- Adrift On A Star

- The Pleasure Of A Company

- Theme from "By Love Possessed"

- If It`s The Last Thing I Can Do

Another two songs, recorded in 1961, were released as part of the compilation "On The Street Where You Live: Vic Damone`s Best":

- The Second Time Around

- Maria

The 7th song, "Come Live With Me", was released as single in 1968 and is an arrangement of the title of the same name that appeared on OST "Valley of the Dolls". All these songs are listed on JW`s discography.

And there is another song both artists recorded in 1967 called "I`ll Plant My Own Tree", very likely an arrangement of "I`ll Plant My Own Tree" that was released on "Valley of the Dolls". This one is still unissued. Hopefully, there will be a release of this song one day. ;)

Vic Damone.PNG

Vic Damone II.PNG

Yeah. Interesting to know is that Damone‘s album version of „Make me Rainbows“ was arranged and conducted by Perry Botkin Jr., the former trombone player in John Williams‘ jazz band during their time at North Hollywood High School.

On 05/02/2023 at 10:06 AM, Jay said:

Nice!

I added the Oboe Concerto to my original post, I always forget that one.

Too long to be a Single, too short to be a Stormtrooper an Album!

image.png

• 5 months later...

@Junion I understand that the double album with The President's Own has been reissued on CD (finally), and there is a light difference in the track list, compared to the free mp3 version we could download in 2021 on their website.

We must document thatm thanks!

cover.jpg

3 hours ago, Bespin said:

@Junion I understand that the double album with The President's Own has been reissued on CD (finally), and there is a light difference in the track list, compared to the free mp3 version we could download in 2021 on their website.

We must document thatm thanks!

Here's a scan of the tracklist...

Rear.jpg

CD 1
01 Introduction by Col Timothy W Foley
02 "Sound the Bells"
03 The Cowboys Overture
04 Theme from JFK
05 Comments by John Williams and Introduction to Excerpts from Far and Away
06 Excerpts from Far and Away
07 "Olympic Fanfare and Theme"
08 Escapades for Alto Saxophone and Orchestra from Catch Me If You Can; I Closing In
09 Escapades for Alto Saxophone and Orchestra from Catch Me If You Can; II Reflections
10 Escapades for Alto Saxophone and Orchestra from Catch Me If You Can; III Joy Ride
11 Introduction by John Williams to Theme from Schindler's List
12 Theme from Schindler's List
13 Raiders March from Raiders of the Lost Ark
14 Adventures on Earth from ET the Extra-Terrestrial
15 Nimbus 2000 from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
16 Main Title from Star Wars
17 Comments by John Williams - "The Mission Theme (From NBC News)"

CD 2
01 The National Anthem, The Star-Spangled Banner
02 March from Superman
03 Excerpts from Close Encounters of the Third Kind
04 Comments by John Williams and Introduction to Suite from The Reivers
05 Suite from The Reivers
06 March from 1941
07 "Liberty Fanfare"
08 Out to Sea - The Shark Cage Fugue from Jaws
09 Harry's Wondrous World from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
10 Theme from The Sugarland Express
11 "Tribute to George Lucas and Steven Spielberg"
12 The Tale of Viktor Navorski from The Terminal
13 The Imperial March from Star Wars - The Empire Strikes Back
14 "For The President's Own"

2 minutes ago, Bespin said:

@thx99 Can we buy this CD?

To my knowledge, no.  Historically, all of the CDs produced by US Marine Band (a US government funded organization) are done so for "educational" purposes and are free to schools and libraries.  The fact that they gave this 2-CD set away for free to the attendees of the recent concert was a bit surprising, in fact.

I've contacted them in the past and had no luck getting a copy of their Bernstein album. I eventually got a copy over at discogs. They would only send (for free) to libraries or schools, even foreign ones, but not to individual collectors. 

I had better luck with the Coast Guard Band, who very kindly sent me their Williams 2-CD set for free (I even offered to pay shipping or whatever was necessary, but they sent it completely free).

16 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Well, are you still a professor, use your school to order these CDs!

That did cross my mind, but I wanted the CD for myself, not for my school 😉

Also, these discs have often been reissued by Altissimo.

33 minutes ago, Miguel Andrade said:

That did cross my mind, but I wanted the CD for myself, not for my school 😉

Also, these discs have often been reissued by Altissimo.

While honesty is a wonderful quality, being a great collector typically requires other skills and attributes, such as knowledge, patience, and a keen eye for valuable items!

47 minutes ago, Bespin said:

While honesty is a wonderful quality, being a great collector typically requires other skills and attributes, such as knowledge, patience, and a keen eye for valuable items!

Well, I ended up getting the disc for a rather fair price in the end, so I feel fine with it.

5 hours ago, Bespin said:

When you got the wrong John Williams... ouch!!!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Williams-Tell-Remastered-2023/dp/B0C3R2794P

Oh, that’s a bad mistake. This album from 1955 features John Thomas Williams and not John Towner Williams! I have just mailed to J. Joes J. Edizioni Musicali to make them aware of this confusion and also asked to change the cover.