The Force Awakens begins recording at Sony in LA today

thx99

Sorry. I was just adapting your joke to the new page.

How much would you say it was genuine adaptation/writing and how much did you just adjust TPG's original sketch? I hear his sketches are pretty complete.

I want to hear Stefan's opinion on the matter! It ain't over until he'll declare the debate finished!

Of how much BB adapted TPG's original joke and whether or not it was just a small adaptation or did BB write something himself to make suitable changes for the new page in this thread?

What TGP doesn't want you to know is that he actually used a team of two dozen "orchestrators" to adapt and finish his joke for him. I've heard he actually only composed on a joke suite consisting of the thematic material of the joke and it was his lakeys who did all the real work.

What TGP doesn't want you to know is that he actually used a team of two dozen "orchestrators" to adapt and finish his joke for him. I've heard he actually only composed on a joke suite consisting of the thematic material of the joke and it was his lakeys who did all the real work.

You know I just didn't want to repeat the same old thing that everybody does, you know? Like we're all forever trying to be original, and here it seems like everyone hears what I'm doing and says, "Oh, that's it!" you know? And then that becomes the leading joke aesthetic for the next ten years. So I said, ok Mike, just throw away all of your old tricks and start with a blank slate. And it'll get imitated endlessly, but at least for this first moment it'll be fresh and new, you know?

Now, I haven't been disappointed about any SW7 score news until this point (I don't even care about Ross conducting). But the presence of "some of the attack music from the OT" is a bit of a let down. I want certain themes from the OT to reappear as needed, but recycling "attack music" (a la ROTJ?) is kind of a let down for me. Action music is something I want to be fresh and new to fit the new action situations. If this rumor (and it is nothing more as far as evidence goes) is true, I really hope it's not *another* rehash of the TIE Fighter Attack cue used for the scenes we've seen in the two trailers of the Falcon being pursued by TIE fighters through a crashed ship (again, a la ROTJ).

If it's any consolation, the news is probably fake.

There's another report that conflicts with this (the extent of Ross conducting, that is), so who knows what is true, even about the music. If true, better a rehash of OT music than DOTF, I say.

Now, I haven't been disappointed about any SW7 score news until this point (I don't even care about Ross conducting). But the presence of "some of the attack music from the OT" is a bit of a let down. I want certain themes from the OT to reappear as needed, but recycling "attack music" (a la ROTJ?) is kind of a let down for me. Action music is something I want to be fresh and new to fit the new action situations. If this rumor (and it is nothing more as far as evidence goes) is true, I really hope it's not *another* rehash of the TIE Fighter Attack cue used for the scenes we've seen in the two trailers of the Falcon being pursued by TIE fighters through a crashed ship (again, a la ROTJ).

If it's any consolation, the news is probably fake.

You can tell it from the Ross-sectionsshhh.

"Schiffy" from the FSM Boards wrote this today about Ross' apparent involvement:

I saw that article, too. But from my understanding (only one step removed from somebody who was there), it's not true (or at least wasn't for the first several days). Granted, the article doesn't claim that Williams hasn't conducted at all, so technically, my source and theirs may be accurate.

Don't get me wrong, Ross would be very capable, and with Williams in the room, I have absolutely no fear about this. But I'm skeptical, certainly about their use of the term "majority."

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=96000&forumID=1&archive=0&pageID=8&r=539#bottom

My understanding is that Williams is conducting just about everything, but Ross stepped in for some fast paced action cues while Williams back was giving him some issues.

Whew, I was starting to worry there was consensus. Complete confusion and contradiction keeps the train moving.

As it always does. :mellow: I tend to believe Schiffy more than the other random source, but we still don't know for sure.

He also said Williams composed and assembled the music for the second teaser... in case there are still doubters.

We shouldn't even assume it's back problems causing him not to conduct certain cues, actually. It's possible he prefers to be present in the booth (the Giacchino way, in fact) for this project.

We shouldn't even assume it's back problems causing him not to conduct certain cues, actually. It's possible he prefers to be present in the booth (the Giacchino way, in fact) for this project.

Well it is the way many composers choose (or are forced) to do it, to be just in the booth.

But the more JW is on the podium, the better.

Maybe Ross was brought in to give Williams a back massage.

But was it supervised by Williams or did he let Ross have free reign over the aspects of his performance?

But was it supervised by Williams or did he let Ross have free reign over the aspects of his performance?

Williams gave him the moves, and Ross arranged them according to the parts of Williams' back that were hurting him.

Makes sense. Seems logical.

Does anyone know if they have been recording this week or just last week?

I'm curious as well. Also, when's the next round of sessions? And is Williams still writing?

Williams gave him the moves, and Ross arranged them according to the parts of Williams' back that were hurting him.

Makes sense. Seems logical.

I'd even say it's plausible!

Cosman, I suppose it never occurred to you, that while we're chatting here so enjoyably, a decision is being made by the president and executives in the board room at Disney. And when they realize there is no possibility of a pure Williams score, there will be only one course of action open: total commitment.

To throw out a general question, wouldn't it be a wise marketing move to allow/encourage Williams to perform a concert version of a SW7 piece at Tanglewood? He did it with ESB and again with Harry Potter, though the main theme of the latter was already present in the trailers. It spoils nothing (assuming they keep titles vague), it is free, and the music, as it will be good, will provide positive exposure for the movie (as those concerts are always broadcast and personal recordings).

That would be a wonderful treat and a smart move on Disney's part, I think. Even those who aren't film score enthusiasts are stoked about Williams new Star Wars score. I just hope Williams doesn't end up canceling his Tanglewood concert.

I just hope Williams doesn't end up canceling his Tanglewood concert.

i'd be worried. He might not want to strain his back if the Recording Sessions aren;t finished

There would indeed be no harm in him premiering a piece of music from the score at a concert before the CD is out, but it simply won't happen.

There would indeed be no harm in him premiering a piece of music from the score at a concert before the CD is out, but it simply won't happen.

I don't think it will happen either but that does confuse me. It is free, positive marketing with no downside.

All of that being said, I don't really understand the need for marketing the film at all. Give people no teasers and trailers and they will see this movie anyway. But given that they seem intent on a big marketing push, why not some music. In retrospect with Harry Potter, I wonder if Columbus et al saw the debut of the concert piece as an important marking push or just a way to humor Williams.

All of that being said, I don't really understand the need for marketing the film at all. Give people no teasers and trailers and they will see this movie anyway.

That wouldn't annoy the marketing department at all.

TFA actually hasn't gotten that much promotion really, but that will probably change when we get closer to the release date. In contrast, I can't help but see some sort of advertising for the Jurassic World a few times a day. They really want people to see that film.