Why does Imperial march sound different in movie and official album?

toni112007

I am asking this question cause I was watching Empire Strikes Back and I noticed during scene where Star Destroyer fleet is appearing (18 mins into a movie) Imperial march sounds somewhat different than one of the official album( more powerful, deeper, faster, more bass?). Here is the scene. Imperial march in this scene sounds superior than album version for me. Was this version ever released or does anyone know if it exists somewhere? Any help would be appriciated. Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LJ-IJspbqY

Welcome to the boards!

The answer to your question is quite simple. After recording the film's score, someone decided to use the concert version of The Imperial March for this scene, replacing the original version that was written to picture (which you can find on the expanded release in the track The Imperial Probe/Aboard the Executor). The concert version opens disc 2 of the expanded soundtrack release and was first featured on the original soundtrack release back in 1980. It's basically the same stock version you've been hearing for the past 35 years.

It's but one example of many dropped or replaced cues in The Empire Strikes Back.

It's fascinating when we start to analyze such things, to see the differences between the music heard in a movie vs. the music on an album.

For me it always been two different entities, like two different work of art, and therefore, that doesn't have to be identical.

@toni112007 Have you ever noticed the difference in the Finale from The Empire Strikes Back? :)

Welcome to the boards!

The answer to your question is quite simple. After recording the film's score, someone decided to use the concert version of The Imperial March for this cene, replacing the original version that was written to picture (which you can find on the expanded release in the track The Imperial Probe/Aboard the Executor). The concert version opens disc 2 of the expanded soundtrack release and was first featured on the original soundtrack release back in 1980. It's basically the same stock version you've been hearing for the past 35 years.

It's but one example of many dropped or replaced cues in The Empire Strikes Back.

Do you know where I can find that cue from the movie (concert suite) ?

It's fascinating when we start to analyze such things, to see the differences between the music heard in a movie vs. the music on an album.

For me it always been two different entities, like two different work of art, and therefore, that doesn't have to be identical.

@toni112007 Have you ever noticed the difference in the Finale from The Empire Strikes Back? :)

Unfortunately I didnt notice because I never listened finale from ESB as much as Imperial March.

The concert version opens disc 2 of the expanded soundtrack release

The concert version opens disc 2 of the expanded soundtrack release

Well I listened to that "concert version" and still doesnt sound the same as the scene I provided in first post :(

It's probably slightly sped up to better fit the sequence (after all, the piece was not composed for the scene)

It was probably remix, thats what I thought yes.

Well, the Star Wars Trilogy Anthology release has a slightly different mix of The Imperial March compared to what's on the RCA/Sony releases. The percussion is slightly more buried and it actually sounds a little closer to what we hear in the clip above. But I'm pretty sure it's still the concert suite that was tracked into the film.

I originally thought you were referring to the difference between what's heard in the film and the original cue John Williams wrote for the scene, which is a much more aggressive rendition of the theme, featuring added brass layers not found in any other iteration of the theme throughout the score.

Well, the Star Wars Trilogy Anthology release has a slightly different mix of The Imperial March compared to what's on the RCA/Sony releases. The percussion is slightly more buried and it actually sounds a little closer to what we hear in the clip above. But I'm pretty sure it's still the concert suite that was tracked into the film.

I originally thought you were referring to the difference between what's heard in the film and the original cue John Williams wrote for the scene, which is a much more aggressive rendition of the theme, featuring added brass layers not found in any other iteration of the theme throughout the score.

Well I listened to it now and yeah, Anthology version does sound somewhat different than RCA/Sony release and I actually like it more. But you are probably right about that concert version must have been used in scene.

This was mentioned on page 26 and B1 of this:

http://www.malonedigital.com/starwars.pdf

The film version of “The Imperial March” with distinct cymbal crashes, more prominent horns (hard left of stereo image), marcato-like cellos and bass drum hits. 45 seconds of this version are heard in the film and 21 seconds appear on the Story of The Empire Strikes Back LP. It is most similar in orchestration to the performance conducted by Williams with the Skywalker Symphony Orchestra.

This was mentioned on page 26 and B1 of this:

http://www.malonedigital.com/starwars.pdf

The film version of “The Imperial March” with distinct cymbal crashes, more prominent horns (hard left of stereo image), marcato-like cellos and bass drum hits. 45 seconds of this version are heard in the film and 21 seconds appear on the Story of The Empire Strikes Back LP. It is most similar in orchestration to the performance conducted by Williams with the Skywalker Symphony Orchestra.

I wish movie version was released, its so epic.

Well, as I understand it now, you can't.

You can listen to the same recording in a different mix, though. It's on the OST and the Anthology set as The Imperial March (Darth Vader's Theme), as well as on the SE soundtrack under the same title, but remixed again. The film mix remains unreleased.

At least, that's how I understand it. Correct?

• 3 weeks later...

Well, as I understand it now, you can't.

You can listen to the same recording in a different mix, though. It's on the OST and the Anthology set as The Imperial March (Darth Vader's Theme), as well as on the SE soundtrack under the same title, but remixed again. The film mix remains unreleased.

At least, that's how I understand it. Correct?

That's how I understand it. I'd love to have the film mixes (as am sure most would).