John Debney's CutThroat Island - new LLL 2CD by Matessino & Bulk coming July 5 2016

Jay

I will certainly be buying this!  Kudos to LLL for selling it for only $19.99!

I'll need to order this as soon as I have access to my computer again.

Seems like the missing few seconds are present for sure.

I still wonder about the missing choir from Dawg's Plan.

I suppose it is a good thing that the final battle music is now split up. Indeed I can confirm it isn't a continuous piece of music in the film either.

I'm not sure if I will personally consider it an improvement though.

Generally, whenever that epic track begins, I don't want it to stop until the very end.

On the other hand, I used to pay more attention to the beginning of the track when it was still separate on the OST.

So it goes a bit both ways for me.

Samples & Order direct from label: http://lalalandrecords.com/Site/CutthroatIsland.html

Other sites you can buy from:

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm/ID/31927/

For some reason, LLL is hosting 5 pages of the sheet music?

http://lalalandrecords.com/DebneyFile/SheetMusic_JohnDebney_CutthroatIsland.pdf

CUTTHROAT ISLAND SHIPPING UPDATE: 

We have had a slight manufacturing delay on CUTTHROAT ISLAND and those CDs will now begin shipping out to customers starting 7/14. We apologize for this short delay and we thank you for your patience.

I can't possibly have comments yet as it arrived at my house while I was at work, and didn't open it when I got home last night. I should listen to the first 45 mins today on my way to work

Quick sampling confirms that the missing choir in Dawg's Plan is now indeed present.

It also immediately continues into "Shaw Discovers the Location", which will definitely take some getting used to. :unsure:

I'm not at all sure what to think of the split Battle tracks on this release.

It certainly makes sense to have them like that (and it might have been like that in the film too), I suppose.

But when it starts, I just don't want it to stop and 18 minute track from the previous release is... pretty epic, really!

In general though, it seems this release cannot really be faulted for doing what it does.

It's as complete as it comes and I'm just going to have to deal with the differences. :lol:

• 4 months later...

I finally bought this new release so now I've got THREE of them!

Not entirely sold yet on the new mix and breaking up the Battle tracks, but I'm glad to have it all the same.

It is quite funny in the liner notes how Savage Islands and Nate & Hayes are both mentioned as separate pirate films.

Except they're just two titles for the same film (for some silly reason I can't remember).

I prefer the new mix. The Prometheus records version was a bit muffled in comparison. Also I have to admit I like that they split the long battle track at the end as it makes it easier to navigate to your favourite sections if you are not in the mood to listen to the whole score.

The liner notes on the new set are also quite interesting although the track-by-track analysis is again curiously bare, laying out more the action of the film for each track rather than getting into the musical or thematic details, which would have been nice to read about.

I've got to admit that with The Battle, mostly when that starts, I don't want it to end until it's all over.

But I can definitely imagine not everyone would always be willing to listen to the whole thing.

Good liner notes for sure! I definitely learned a lot of new stuff about the film, even if not so much about the music.

I have always wondered about what actual themes are in there.

There's the main theme and what I call the "treasure theme", but other than that most of the music seems to me to be quite incidental.

Which is to say, a lot of it is good enough to BE a theme, but then it never shows up elsewhere in the score.

But maybe I'm so familiar with the separate tracks that I can no longer recognise any thematic development.

So if anyone has any more details to share on that, is certainly be very interested.

15 minutes ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

I've got to admit that with The Battle, mostly when that starts, I don't want it to end until it's all over.

But I can definitely imagine not everyone would always be willing to listen to the whole thing.

Good liner notes for sure! I definitely learned a lot of new stuff about the film, even if not so much about the music.

I have always wondered about what actual themes are in there.

There's the main theme and what I call the "treasure theme", but other than that most of the music seems to me to be quite incidental.

Which is to say, a lot of it is good enough to BE a theme, but then it never shows up elsewhere in the score.

But maybe I'm so familiar with the separate tracks that I can no longer recognise any thematic development.

So if anyone has any more details to share on that, is certainly be very interested.

While the score is not quite monothematic the main theme is definitely the most prominent individual thematic element in the score. Then there is the love theme for Morgan and Shaw which develops quite slowly through the score and is featured only a few times and then there is the treasure theme as well. A few action motifs recur throughout the various setpieces and a small motif for what seems to be relationship between Morgan and his father (the funeral material which I think appears on the preceding tracks).

Notably Dawg is represented not by a readily identifiable motif or theme but textures and orchestrational touches whether incidental evil marches or foreboding brass motifs or throaty male chorus.

I have to say I missed a good villain theme in this score which would have made it even more awesome. Langella's character surely deserved his own theme! :) 

True, that.

On the other hand, the music the villain did get is all awesome in its own way as well.

I love the "Morgan versus Dawg" section where the music very clearly sounds like a good against evil battle.

Dawg is probably my favourite character in that film.

Not a nice guy to be sure, but je has SO MUCH FUN being evil!

• 8 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Well, it's now out of digital. 

And I've wanted to purchase it digitally so long, but now it's just removed. 

Are there any chances they will bring this back?

Seems most of StudioCanal's digital releases have vanished:

Basic Instinct

Total Recall

Rambo Trilogy

Cutthroat Island

Only Cliffhanger seems to still be around...but for how long?

People (myself included) tend to think that digital stuff will always be around, so they delay getting it. I missed out on the Lionheart DE iTunes digital exclusive and a number of Google Play Music titles that are now gone for good, all because I "would get around to buying them sometime" .

23 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

People (myself included) tend to think that digital stuff will always be around, so they delay getting it. I missed out on the Lionheart DE iTunes digital exclusive and a number of Google Play Music titles that are now gone for good, all because I "would get around to buying them sometime" .

Exactly.

• 3 years later...

This is very hard to find for a decent price now. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to grab it when it was. Hopefully it will get a reprint one of these days. It should always be available to score fans. Some scores are just like that. I guess I’ll add Cutthroat to my list of most wanted re-issues, right next to 1941 and The Shadow.

• 1 month later...