Jerry Goldsmith' GREMLINS 2: THE NEW BATCH (1990) - 2015 Varese 25th Anniversary Edition

Jay

gremlins_2_2048x2048.jpg?v=1434757630

back_zpsjwomgrfp.png

What better way to celebrate this month’s 25th anniversary of Joe Dante’s Gremlins 2: The New Batch than with a Deluxe Edition of Jerry Goldsmith’s brilliant and manic score for this classic sequel. Gremlins 2 is one of Goldsmith’s most loved scores of the 90s and it’s so exciting to bring the score back for a new generation. Requests for this album have been coming in for years.

For Gremlins 2: The New Batch, Joe Dante was able to pull off that rarest achievement in movies — coming up with a sequel that not only lives up to the original but, arguably, even surpasses it.

Billy Peltzer (Zach Galligan) and Kate Beringer (Phoebe Cates) move to New York City and meet up with their Mogwai friend, Gizmo, when a series of accidents creates a new generation of diverse gremlins. Billy, Kate, and Gizmo must once again use all their experience to prevent the gremlins from taking over New York!

A significant expansion from the original 1990 release, Jerry Goldsmith’s Gremlins 2: The New Batch has returned!

1. Merrily We Roll Along / Prologue / Just You Wait † (5:09)

2. Future Thoughts* (:34)

3. Gizmo’s Capture / A Disaster / Fatal Prognosis * (2:32)

4. Cute…* (2:04)

5. Gizmo Escapes (3:53)

6. Instructions* (1:50)

7. Leaky Faucet (3:49)

8. The Impostor* (1:14)

9. The Visitors (3:34)

10. No Rats (2:28)

11. The Long Fall / Hot Wire / The Time Zone* (2:36)

12. Pot Luck (3:08)

13. Pacing / Fast Rise* (1:18)

14. A Better Mouse Trap* (1:47)

15. Gremlins At Work / The Brain Hormones / Gremlins Wings* (4:59)

16. Gremlin Mayhem * (3:59)

17. Teenage Mutant Gremlins (3:31)

18. On The Track / Workout / Something New / The Bag* (1:04)

19. No Cavities / Climate Control* (2:09)

20. Keep It Quiet (3:18)

21. New York, New York / Rhapsody In Blue* (2:05)

22. Congo Corta / Gremlinition* (:41)

23. Broadway To Bowery / New York, New York / A Big Chance* (1:48)

24. Gremlin Pudding (2:22)

25. New Trends (3:51)

26. Bridal Chorus* (1:11)

27. Gremlin Credits (5:01)

Additional Music:

28. Cute… (Album Version) (2:04)

29. Movie Police* (:48)

30. Nearer My God To Thee* (1:23)

31. Clamp Logos* (:22)

32. Postlude* (:25)

*Previously unreleased • †Contains previously unreleased material

https://www.varesesarabande.com/products/gremlins-2-the-deluxe-edition

Always nice to see Mike Matessino and Neil Bulk on the back cover!

Also interesting: "Source Music Composed and Orchestrated by Alexander Courage"
and
"Original Cartoon Music Composed and Conducted by Fred Steiner"

I'm not incredibly familiar with the full score as heard in the film, but I do know there were at least 3 tracks I was hoping to finally have someday, and they seem to all be on here. Anyone more familiar looking at it think it could be missing anything? Seems pretty comprehensive, even with source music. Perhaps not all of the source music, I am thinking (that film had a TON). But I'll likely be MORE than happy with this release. Wasn't expecting it, kind of a mini-grail.

Now all Varese has to do is release a complete Elliot Goldenthal SPHERE and reissue a remastered or re-recorded Jerry Goldsmith LIONHEART and I'll stop bugging them. ;)

I am not very familiar with this score, either.

Is the score of Gremlins 2 better than Gremlins? Or is it a Home Alone vs. Home Alone 2 kind of deal?

For me yes because you don't have to listen to these awful cat synth " voices" ;-)

I love Gremlins the movie. It's a fun little horror comedy, with a wonderful and evocative JG score.

I never even took Gremlins 2 the movie seriously, therefore I never had a chance to pay much attention to the score. I doubt I even watched the movie once straight through. lol

Is the score of Gremlins 2 better than Gremlins? Or is it a Home Alone vs. Home Alone 2 kind of deal?

Gremlins 2 is better IMO.

For me yes because you don't have to listen to these awful cat synth " voices" ;-)

Love those "voices" myself.

Well for Gremlins 2, Goldsmith exchanges the "cat calls" with cartoony sound effects. From kazoos to duck quacks to god knows what else he threw in there. The score, like the movie, is practically a cartoon at times. Hell, in this new release, they seem to have the full cartoon music from the film's opening, even. It is kind of nuts.

One of my favorite unreleased cues though that finally gets it's release in this set is when the "flying Gremlin" makes its way into the city and attacks the Futtermans, and afterward gets turned into a Gargoyle-like statue. It's a fun little action bit that I always wanted from one of my favorite parts of the film haha.

I would say it's more Poltergeist vs Poltergeist 2. I enjoy both Gremlin scores.

It's Gremlins via Total Recall with a bit of Link.

Got a shipping notice about an half hour ago. Can't wait.

From Varèse Sarabande's Facebook page:

gremlins2.jpg

Look who stopped by our office to help pack these Club discs? Gizmo has a few working stipulations: NO water, NO bright lights and we can't feed him after midnight!

My copy arrived today. Listened to some samples and it sounds great. I'll listen to the full album when I'm home from work this evening. Can't wait.

There's more Total Recall in it than I remember! Goldsmith wrote and recorded this score during a long hiatus in the middle of writing and recording Total Recall, which probably explains things.

Got a shipping notice about an half hour ago. Can't wait.

From Varèse Sarabande's Facebook page:

gremlins2.jpg

Look who stopped by our office to help pack these Club discs? Gizmo has a few working stipulations: NO water, NO bright lights and we can't feed him after midnight!

:lol:

Any idea why there was a long hiatus in the middle of Total Recall?

Waiting for special effects to be completed. Total Recall was recorded in London on February 6th, 7th and 8th, April 30th and May 1st 1990.

There's more Total Recall in it than I remember! Goldsmith wrote and recorded this score during a long hiatus in the middle of writing and recording Total Recall, which probably explains things.

As far as I recall, it's mostly the Johnny Cab material that wasn't available until the Varese DE that is very similar indeed to G2.

Of course, the overall soundscapes are related, as usual with Goldsmith in back to back projects. But both have their own distinct personalities.

Yes that is my favorite previously unreleased track! It includes my favorite unreleased moment when the flying Gremlin is attacking the Futtermans, lol. Love that part in the movie hahaha

Recently, I saw the original soundtrack CDs (not expanded) of Gremlins 2 and Dennis the Menace for around 5 bucks each. Should I get them?

• 4 weeks later...

FSM Online has posted a score restore video showing the untouched original Teenage Mutant Ninja Gremlins synced to picture, check it out!

http://filmscoremonthly.com/fsmonline/story.cfm?maID=5264

(NOTE You must be a current FSM Online subscriber to see the video)

Lame, won't be able to see the video then. I'll never subscribe to them again. A few years ago I did, and did a paid subscription for a while, and tried canceling I think like three times and they wouldn't stop charging me until I changed my account info with my BANK. No matter how many e-mails I sent, never got a response. Never again, not even a "free" sign up.

• 1 year later...