James Horner 1953-2015

Not Mr. Big

Too bad he liked planes, he could have chosen something safer like JW (trees)

I disagree. A shot of whiskey to him for pursing his passion to its fullest. Few people will ever understand that. People like this are doomed to die prematurely pursuing their elusive passion.

he had so much more to give. The film community will get through this but this is big.

Though not official, this does not look promising. As a composer, skipper and pilot, I understand the call of the sea and sky. If this is true (as it increasingly appears to be) I must say he died doing what he loved and that is a rare and good thing. That you lived your life pursuing your passion to the fullest.

100 per cent.

I saw Apollo 13 when I was 13, which will have been 20 years ago exactly, next Tuesday. It was a seminal moment for me. I wouldn't be me without him.

When Titanic came out in 1997 I was 11. I saw it a good 5-6 times over the course of several months. For Christmas I got the CD and immediately went to my room and put it on my discman and listened for hours. The impact that score had on me at that age was enormous, although I wouldn't realize it until years later.

Alongside Williams, James Horner ignited my love for music and is the reason why I became a composer. I always thought I might meet him someday. Utterly devastated.

Shit that sucks. :( James had great talent and will be missed....Rest In Peace Mr. Horner. Guess I'll listen to my favorite score from him Star Trek II The Wrath Of Khan.

It's confirmed via his personal assistant

A great tragedy has struck my family today, and I will not be around for a while. I would like some privacy and time to heal. We have lost an amazing person with a huge heart, and unbelievable talent. He died doing what he loved. Thank you for all your support and love and see you down the road. Love Sylvia.

There is nothing that shaped my movie-going experience more than the musical genius of James Horner. He will live on through the ages.— Rob Lowe (@RobLowe) June 23, 2015

Is that from Rob Lowe, or super creepy Rob Lowe?

just ordered Aliens Deluxe edition and Braveheart.

His death will leave a hole and will shape future films.

I've been listening to so much of his music lately too...

Horner is one of my biggest musical influences. His music, along with Williams', was what really propelled me into majoring in music in college and becoming a music teacher. I wouldn't feel the same way about music that I do today if not for him.

Last year I had my choir sing "Somewhere Out There", this year I meant to have them do "Dreams to Dream" but never got to it. I wish I had.

I have been constantly hoping that he would somehow one day get to work on a Star Wars anthology film. I have been looking forward to his upcoming works. What will Avatar be without him? He had so much left to give the world.

Some of my earliest fondest musical memories are of his music, have been etched in my being ever since and still continue to be a big part of my life.

requiescat in pace

FFFuuuuuuucccccckkkkk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now the two J's of the JJJ holy trinity of my childhood film composers are now gone...

Ugh, what terrible news. :(

Just today I was listening to Brazil, and I thought to myself what a tragedy it was to have lost Michael Kamen so early, when he surely had so much more great music in him yet to give. And now Horner today? It just feels awful.

Some of my earliest memories of loving a film's music are of The Land Before Time, even though I wouldn't know the name James Horner until years later. That score is still one of the dearest to my heart.

Now the two J's of the JJJ holy trinity of my childhood film composers are now gone...

That would Be Goldsmith, Horner, and Williams, right?

That would Be Goldsmith, Horner, and Williams, right?

Yes.

Very sad right now. The only thing that can make me smile now is that somehow I know that when he was fighting the controls of the plane, he was humming the danger motif.

Very sad right now. The only thing that can make me smile now is that somehow I know that when he was fighting the controls of the plane, he was humming the danger motif.

Bad joke.

You mean like how you'd be singing "You'll Never Walk Alone" when two heat-seeking missiles are heading right for your spacecraft? ^_^