James Horner 1953-2015

Not Mr. Big

I personally pictured him crawling away from the wreck and making it to the nearest road.

The will to live is one of the strongest, if not THE strongest, aspects of humankind that I pay my respects to on a regular basis, and especially when these things happen.

Wishful thinking never saved anybody's life, though, did it? -_-

I'm still stunned.

His best output was in the 1980s and early 1990s, no doubt.

There is great doubt. His best work has been in the 21st century.

Very sad right now. The only thing that can make me smile now is that somehow I know that when he was fighting the controls of the plane, he was humming the danger motif.

perhaps but he was still copying Harrison Ford.

I say we start a database of every snide comment about James Horner on this forum so when everyone suddenly goes "his music was really powerful/part of my childhood/affected me deeply" we have a database of the fair weather fans!

I say we start a database of every snide comment about James Horner on this forum so when everyone suddenly goes "his music was really powerful/part of my childhood/affected me deeply" we have a database of the fair weather fans!

Yes, the pretenders must be rooted out and shamed!

Anyone else actually feel physically drained by this?

Yes.

Nope. I'm just sitting in the dark listening to his most beautiful and evocative pieces in a puddle of tears.

I've certainly been snide. Most recently I was unimpressed by Pas de Deux. This is a good reminder that there's little value in speaking or thinking ill of people and their acts when it isn't justly deserved. Before I became an internet person, I remembered that well. I hope to shed some of the cynicism I've built up, at least partially in light of this.

I've certainly been snide. Most recently I was unimpressed by Pas de Deux. This is a good reminder that there's little value in speaking or thinking ill of people and their acts when it isn't justly deserved. Before I became an internet person, I remembered that well. I hope to shed some of the cynicism I've built up, at least partially in light of this.

Our favorite composers are like our best friends throughout our lives. Not physically, but through their music. Sometimes some of them they say and do dumb things and you say honest and accurate mean things about them. It doesn't mean they weren't your best friend and a part of your life!

Good way of putting it.

I don't know if I've ever made a snide remark about Horner.

Unless you count my use of his danger motif as a seemingly unsolvable math theorem in my Hitchhiker's Guide Survival Game Fanfic as snide.

Horner isn't close to being my favorite composer, but that doesn't make his death any less tragic. As derivative as he was, he always wrote music worth listening to.

His two An American Tale scores were important stepping stones in my childhood.

I've always adored his love theme from "Troy", quite underrated in my opinion. Even if it was seemingly inspired by an earlier piece of his from "Glory", it's still gorgeous (10:17 in the video):

I still can't believe this.

Horrible horrible news! I am shocked and saddened beyond words. One of the great voices of film music is gone. :(

Horner, you pretentious arrogant fuck with your Madonna accent, self-quoting, iconicity from ripping off Enya and contempt for Goldsmith's Star Trek: The Motion Picture score. As it turns out, we all loved you.

Horner, I hardly knew ye.

But your music lives on, and I can still know ye through your music.

DO NOT LISTEN TO HYMN TO THE SEA.

Jesus, once those bagpipes kick in I can't hold it together. And I don't even like bagpipes.

Ugh. I made the mistake of listening to some tracks from Titanic. It's too soon for me.

DO NOT LISTEN TO HYMN TO THE SEA.

Jesus, once those bagpipes kick in I can't hold it together. And I don't even like bagpipes.

Gah, didn't think of Hymn. Gonna have to happen at some point. I remember a few years ago, in the wait leading up to the "Titanic" re-release, I actually didn't listen to anything from the soundtrack for the whole year before, so that it'd be downright chilling hearing those themes for the first time in so long with movie theater sound. And boy did it work, when Sissel's vocals first started. Insanely powerful effect.

Wow, this sucks. Very unexpected. I'm not too familiar with his whole catalog but several of his scores have resonated with me over the years. I consider Braveheart to be one of my top favorites for sure. The guy was too young, had too much left to give. RIP.

Back in the 90s, I was catching a summer Williams conducted concert with the Cleveland Sym Orchestra. The show was mostly all Williams, but for the first encore, he did the main theme from An American Tale and spoke quite fondly of it.

That piece seems like a nice tribute at the moment.

People keep calling me or texting me about this. The next few weeks will be so weird. Everyone around here is going to be talking about it.

Are you in LA? God bless.

Haven't posted here in a while, and didn't know where else to come to express my shock, sadness and disbelief.

Damn. A true talent and life well lived. You will be very missed, James Horner. Along with Williams, you scored the soundtrack to my life.