James Horner 1953-2015

Not Mr. Big

Nice to know that his favorite score of all time seemed to be The Mission by Ennio Morricone (or at least one of them).

He loved Goldsmith's Alien and one of his favorite scores was Patton. Didn't know this before I listened (except that he loved the Alien score)! Also that he said that he holds Goldsmith and Williams as gods, nice to hear that he respected the titans that much.

Apparently he never saw or was asked to do The Amazing Spider-Man 2.

AWW... He said that he was going to do Gibson's next movie which was hugely important. "And I want to be there at that moment in film history because I think Hollywood is so shallow and what has been done to him is so dreadful and as a film maker he is so brilliant and it will only take one film... all he has to do is to make one film and he will be re-embraced".

An 77 minute long Horner interview from a few weeks ago.

http://guru.bafta.org/the-guru-18-a-conversation-with-screen-composer-james-horner

Thanks for the link, karelm. I was in the audience for that and got the chance to meet him afterwards. I wondered beforehand whether it would be worth it but was so glad that I took the opportunity.

Oh man, the things we would've had in the future, if only he hadn't gotten in that damn plane. :shakehead:

Gibson, Cameron, these guys brought out the best in him. And maybe he would've buried the hatchet as well with Howard, if they both had a mutually interesting project to work on.

Not sure if this is self-plugging, but I did make a youtube compilation of Mr. Horner's work back in 2008.

Part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8njmEFNp80

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1lAOe82mtA

Part 5

Pulled by Youtube

Part 6

Part 7

Part 8

Part 9

Pulled by Youtube

Nice compilations! Can you post Parts 5 and 9 somewhere other than Youtube?

Oh man, the things we would've had in the future, if only he hadn't gotten in that damn plane. :shakehead:

Gibson, Cameron, these guys brought out the best in him. And maybe he would've buried the hatchet as well with Howard, if they both had a mutually interesting project to work on.

Yes, it is sad. I agree with you...a big loss and it is hard to find solace. Perhaps it is his dreams of flight that made him such a great composer. :(

And maybe he would've buried the hatchet as well with Howard, if they both had a mutually interesting project to work on.

I wouldn't be surprised if Howard is probably feeling bad about this, and wishing Horner were around to give things another shot. He identified him as "friend" in his memorial Tweet; I get the feeling that after so many projects together, seeing someone—no matter whether or not you currently get along with them—die in such a tragic and untimely manner must really put things into perspective. As Horner said, life is too short.

Yes, it does suck when your hero dies. I have been on a Horner listening binge since the news broke early in the week. We will eventually come to find his place in music history alongside Kamen, Goldsmith, Poledouris, etc., but one can't help the feeling that we've been robbed by the randomness of the death. With Kamen, Goldsmith, Poledouris, they lived out their lives with the cards they've been dealt. But with Horner, here we have someone in a bit of a resurgence and a death that feels, well, unwarranted. Seeking to find meaning in this tragedy, I can only say that perhaps his passion for flight was part of the sound we came to love and the two can't be separated.

Not sure if this is self-plugging, but I did make a youtube compilation of Mr. Horner's work back in 2008.

Part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8njmEFNp80

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1lAOe82mtA

Part 5

Pulled by Youtube

Part 6

Part 7

Part 8

Part 9

Pulled by Youtube

Nice compilations! Can you post Parts 5 and 9 somewhere other than Youtube?

I deleted them long ago. It's been 7 years since I made them

An 77 minute long Horner interview from a few weeks ago.

http://guru.bafta.org/the-guru-18-a-conversation-with-screen-composer-james-horner

I was actually surprised to hear him say he sat in on Williams' recording sessions. I didn't know that. I wonder how well Williams knew Horner, never heard him talk about him.

Williams also picked a scene from Braveheart for last year's seminary at the Academy (the one with Dudamel and Santaolalla) as an example of good marriage between film and music, so he surely admired the man and his music.

I also remember an interview with Horner by the time he did the CBS News theme where he told a nice fun story: he called JW to tell him that he used all the good notes for the NBC News theme and he was struggling to find some as good for his own theme :)

Really tough to hear him speak passionately about being there when Mel makes a comeback.

I want to score whatever that film ends up being now. Gotta figure out who his agent is....

For me too. I just know whatever Gibson would've ended up directing, that Horner would've poured his heart and soul into it because of their friendship.

Maybe, just maybe a second Braveheart. Just wishful thinking here.

Have to check out the BAFTA interview.

Does anyone remember the reason why he didn't do Passion?

Apparently for religious reasons (as FSM once reported).

It would have been really interesting because this is exactly the type of film that would benefit of his "scoring the subtext" approach.

Karol

Apparently for religious reasons (as FSM once reported).

Well he was born into a Jewish family, but I've never found any more information on his religious beliefs. I suppose it would make sense if he would decline the film due to his Jewish heritage.

I wonder where hardcore film music fans would rank Horner. With all his pros and cons.

I wonder put him in the top 20.

01. Bernard Herrmann
02. John Williams
03. Ennio Morricone
04. Jerry Goldsmith
05. Max Steiner
06. John Barry
07. Elmer Bernstein
08. Miklós Rózsa
09. Georges Delerue
10. Erich Wolfgang Korngold
11. Nino Rota
12. Alfred Newman
13. Alex North
14. Henry Mancini
15. Maurice Jarre
16. James Horner
17. Franz Waxman
18. Thomas Newman
19. Dimitri Tiomkin
20. Hans Zimmer
21. Howard Shore
22. Danny Elfman
23. Basil Poledouris
24. Alan Menken
25. Vangelis

A Composer Tribute to James Horner

A Composer Tribute to James Horner

Twenty-one film, television, video game composers deliver their heart-felt thoughts and reflections about the man, James Horner, and his music. Listen to their thoughts set to many of James Horner's most memorable scores.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/tracksounds/soundcast/soundcast_bonus_james_horner_tribute.mp3

Episode Highlights

00:00 — Introduction

01:00 — Austin Wintory

02:34 — Debbie Wiseman

03:51 — Greg Edmonson

05:21 — Frederick Wiedmann

07:12 — Jeff Rona

08:51 — Introduction to special tribute

09:23 — Jo Blankenburg

10:41 — Grant Kirkhope

12:07 — Mark Griskey

15:36 — Jason Graves

17:03 — Neal Acree

07:57 — Garry Schymann

20:02 — Sam Hulick

20:45 — Introduction to special tribute II

21:12 — Chance Thomas

23:17 — Jessica Curry

24:10 — Scott Glasgow

27:10 — Rolfe Kent

28:20 — Penka Kouneva

30:30 — James Christopherson

31:36 — Elia Cmiral

32:13 — Olivier Deriviere

33:54 — Kathryn Bostic

36:08 — Close

Music Selections

00:00 — "Teaching Mathematics Again" (A Beautiful Mind) by James Horner

00:54 — "Closing Credits" (A Beautiful Mind) by James Horner

02:38 — "Epilogue" (Searching for Bobby Fischer) by James Horner

04:51 — "An Epitaph to War" (Glory) by James Horner

23:44 — "Part 2" (Iris) by James Horner

07:25 — "The Lovemaking" (Cocoon) by James Horner

09:23 — ""Wunderkind" by Jo Blankenburg

10:30 — "Main Title" (Battle Beyond the Stars) by James Horner

12:26 — "Deciding to Build the Field" (Field of Dreams) by James Horner

13:33 — "All Systems Go" (Apollo 13) by James Horner

16:02 — "The Ludlows" (Legends of the Fall) by James Horner

18:48 — "Casper's Lullaby" (Casper) by James Horner

19:52 — "A Kaleidoscope of Mathematics" (A Beautiful Mind) by James Horner

20:48 — "Becoming One of the People…" (Avatar) by James Horner

21:45 — "Suite from Avatar: The Video Game by Chance Thomas

23:17 — "Main Title - Takeoff (The Rocketeer) by James Horner

30:23 — "Rose" (Titanic) by James Horner

29:05 — "My Heart Will Go On" (Titanic) by James Horner

30:23 — "Main Title" (Braveheart) by James Horner

33:08 — "The Passage of Time" (Bicentennial Man) by James Horner

35:02 — "All Love Can Be" (A Beautiful Mind)

Thank you for posting this - it was a fitting tribute. So much great music. Such an unexpected loss. After listening to a soundtrack or two each day during the past week, this was a perfect end. Such a loving tribute to this tremendous loss. :(

In this tribute by his former school there's a nice pic of the artist as a young man:

james_Horner.jpg

This is a wonderful tribute...full of joy...RIP.

Doug Fake of Intrada:

6/24/2015
Just a couple of days since Father's Day and a lifetime has passed. Man, what this guy could do! He led Achilles into battle, guided Alfred to redemption, ushered Eddie Murphy into stardom. He gave Balto his heritage, turned a cornfield into a baseball diamond and charged Fort Wagner. Yep. He rescued Jenny and made a champion out of Dre. Wow! This man found Spock! He almost got to the moon!! How many of us mere mortals can do that??
That's probably the difference. We're just mortals. This guy James Horner was... no, is immortal. His music will never stop. His heart really will go on. Forever.

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/sc.13/category.60330/.f

I just started writing some very early/rough ideas for a violin concerto for a friend. It became quickly apparent that a certain ghost must have been in the room because within the first minute I did an unconscious quasi-lift from The Katra Ritual. :lol:

Ok, it's more than just a similarity in an introductory buildup. I must actually want to write something in my own version of the Horner spirit. Think I'll stop fighting it and dedicate it to his memory.

Short snippet of that first clumsy attempt. Sorry about the oversaturation....

http://picosong.com/gDRV/

This appears to be the preliminary National Transportation Safety Board report. It is very clinical since the purpose is for general safety so I will put it in spoiler tags for those not interested in the preliminary details. I respectfully ask those not interested in the clinical details avoid reading this preliminary report.

NTSB Identification: WPR15FA195
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Monday, June 22, 2015 in Maricopa, CA
Aircraft: SHORT BROTHERS PLC S312 TUCANO T MK1, registration: N206PZ
Injuries: 1 Fatal.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed. NTSB investigators either traveled in support of this investigation or conducted a significant amount of investigative work without any travel, and used data obtained from various sources to prepare this aircraft accident report.
On June 22, 2015, about 0930 Pacific daylight time, an experimental exhibition category Short Brothers PLC S312 Tucano T MK1 airplane, N206PZ, was destroyed when it impacted terrain about 16 miles south of Maricopa, California. The private pilot, who was the sole occupant, was fatally injured. The aircraft was registered to Tucano Flyer LLC, and operated by the pilot under the provisions of 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91 as personal flight. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed, and a flight plan had not been filed. The flight originated from Camarillo Airport (CMA), Camarillo, California, at 0810.
According to the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), the pilot was in contact with the SoCal Air Route Traffic Control Center (ARTCC) and was receiving advisories while maneuvering over the Chumash Wilderness area. Radar reviewed by NTSB investigators depicted multiple turns, rapid changes in altitude, and airspeed. At 0925 radar contact was lost and no other communication was received from the pilot.

Examination of the accident site revealed that the wreckage was located in a dry creek bed. The airplane was destroyed by high impact forces and a postimpact fire. The debris field was 641 feet in length and 355 feet wide. A large crater about 11 feet in diameter and 5 feet deep, was found at the beginning of the debris field. Postimpact fire was observed along the debris path and throughout the surrounding terrain. About 1 acre of land was burned. All major structural components and primary flight controls were located within the debris path.
A witness stated that the airplane flew directly over his house in straight and level flight between 500 and 750 feet above ground level (agl). He further stated that the sound was different than other airplanes that fly in the area, but it didn't sound like anything was wrong. The airplane continued to fly straight and level in an easterly direction towards Quatal Canyon road.

Another witness located at her residence on Quatal Canyon road, was about 1 mile northeast from the first witness's location. She was outside when she saw the airplane circle her home and depart eastward paralleling Quatal Road and proceeded to fly up the canyon. She further stated that the airplane was about 500 feet agl. The engine sound was loud and consistent. After losing sight of the airplane behind a small hill, smoke and dust was seen rising from the canyon.

The wreckage was relocated to a secure facility for further examination.

http://ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.aviation/brief.aspx?ev_id=20150622X64755&key=1

I do not intend to post this to exploit the tragedy but rather for general information.

I just started writing some very early/rough ideas for a violin concerto for a friend. It became quickly apparent that a certain ghost must have been in the room because within the first minute I did an unconscious quasi-lift from The Katra Ritual. :lol:

Ok, it's more than just a similarity in an introductory buildup. I must actually want to write something in my own version of the Horner spirit. Think I'll stop fighting it and dedicate it to his memory.

Short snippet of that first clumsy attempt. Sorry about the oversaturation....

http://picosong.com/gDRV/

Very nice job, Grey. A fitting tribute.