James Horner 1953-2015

Not Mr. Big

Star Trek 2 The Wrath of Khan

One of my favorite scores of all time, I dunno what else I can say about it.  The OST is lean and mean!

Legends of The Fall

Lovely

Jumanji

Another all time classic of mine, so much fun music here. Love the instrumentaiton

Searching for Bobby Fischer

Listening now.... seems nice!

Brainstorm is first rate Horner. I don't remember how the film tracks compare to the LSO album, but I'd love to see a complete release (with both versions), if only so I can get an original copy to replace my old CDR.

I'd still like an original copy, so a re-release of some sort is necessary anyway. And when that happens, it would be a shame if it doesn't include the actual score tracks as well, wouldn't it?

The Spitfire Grill

Wow!  I think I've only ever focused on Horner's action / adventure / fantasy / sci-fi scores and have missed out on some real dramatic gems.  This is one of them.  Some really, really lovely music here.

Mighty Joe Young

Wow!  How did I miss this one!  Awesome score here, I can't believe i never got it back in the day.  This is great!  Anybody have any idea how much unreleased music there may be, ie if a specialty label would consider expanding it?  If so I'll wait for that instead of tracking down OST.  For now, thank you spotify!

Cocoon

I still kinda feel like this score is like a greatest hits of his other scores mashed together in a blender.  Perhaps I need to see the film and give this a more proper, dedicated listen to see why some find it one of his best.  Obviously, if I heard it before all the other scores it pulls from I might find it more special

The Journey of Natty Gann

A favorite of mine since the Intrada CD.  Its nice and different from his big epic scores, but with more energy and excitement than some of his dramatic scores.  Really hits the spot when you're in the mood for it

On 24.6.2016 at 11:38 PM, Jay said:

Mighty Joe Young

Wow!  How did I miss this one!  Awesome score here, I can't believe i never got it back in the day.  This is great!  Anybody have any idea how much unreleased music there may be, ie if a specialty label would consider expanding it?  If so I'll wait for that instead of tracking down OST.  For now, thank you spotify!

About 35 minutes.

• 11 months later...
17 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

It's not been two years has it?

It has. Time sure does fly. Anyway I think I might give Cocoon a listen later today. RIP!

Just a little while ago, I was listening to the Williams-conducted Boston Pops album "Salute to Hollywood," primarily to compare his rendition of Dance of the Witches to the new Lockhart one (I probably have to give the edge to JW, but it's a close call!).  Anyway, also on that album is an amazing orchestral version of Somewhere Out There....and as it was playing I came across this thread here and realized with a shock it's the second anniversary of Horner's passing.  I restarted the track and listened with a whole different perspective.  

That's it, thanks.  I love that arrangement.  And unless I'm mistaken, that's the only time Williams recorded anything of Horner's music.

6 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Ridiculous as it may seem, I don't think I've cried that much since then.  And it had been a while before,too.

Yes, but he was still a total ass to Gabe Yared.

I certainly don't normally.  But there are a few artists who have affected me in such profound ways that I have reacted that way.  Incredibly rare.  Williams is gonna be one..... sorry to be morbid.

14 minutes ago, Selina Kyle said:

This thread is JWFan at its best, seeing us all coming together.

Agreed. 

8 minutes ago, Blumenkohl said:

Yes, but he was still a total ass to Gabe Yared.

He could be a grade A prick. Honest and respectful remembrance is about saying that, not talking about how he was great and everyone loved him, he was an altar boy and gonna go to college, etc....

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

I certainly don't normally.  But there are a few artists who have affected me in such profound ways that I have reacted that way.  Incredibly rare.  Williams is gonna be one..... sorry to be morbid.

I tired to think if there were any that would illicit such a response from me, but I don't think it would ever happen. It would have to be the art itself, either the music, the film, etc. But just learning the news of their death wouldn't do it. 

9 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Never cried over a celebrity death before. 

I wish I could say the same. Dale Earnhardt, Mitch Hedberg, and Patrick Swayze. Probably more.