JWFan James Horner Listening Party

Jay

That passage always sort of reminds me of the middle of this Adams piece, at 2:04. Britten gets ripped off by James, then James gets ripped off by Adams!

One of the top Horner moments is at the end of Rendezvous at Griffith Park Observatory when the Rocketeer runs up the stairs and blasts off the roof. I ran up those stairs and could just hear the music in my brain. Every time I listen to it, in fact, I have this urge to run up stairs and rocket off the roof.

He did that quite often, rocket off the roof i mean. Just watched it and was astounded how much i enjoyed the movie again after 15 years. The effects are wonderful and the lack of CGI means they actually have weight. I honestly think Spielberg/Williams couldn't have bettered it. The JENNY theme isn't used much but i like it even more than the main theme. The usual punchline would be me saying WE NEED A COMPLETE RELEASE NOW! but i find the old Hollywood Records about perfect - and the recording by Murphy reigns big time.

Actually, that's a full minute where "The Chase" from Cocoon is an exact replica of a minute from the "Genesis Countdown" in TWOK—complete with unique syncopated rhythms and everything. It's way to precise to be a simple example of a tune stuck in his head that wound up in another film; I have to think he was getting pressed for time and intentionally lifted that section because he liked the sound and it fit well (and, to be sure, there's no question it works in both contexts).

So what profound conclusion can we draw from this? James Horner occasionally copied himself. Stop the presses. ;)

I stand corrected, apologies. Him copying himself wasn't a criticsm on this occasion. Sort of hit out of the blue as I've not seen Cocoon in years.

ending tonight's binge with this from Deep Impact

remember the first time I saw the film, that scene where the astronauts say their goodbyes to their families was heartwrenching.

The Rocketeer

It really is a beautifully compiled album. The theme is great, and while I'm not a fan of the period songs incorporated, it is rousing. Horner is a master at doing End Credit suites, and this is another one for the books.

I stand corrected, apologies. Him copying himself wasn't a criticsm on this occasion. Sort of hit out of the blue as I've not seen Cocoon in years.

Oh, no apologies necessary. I was just having a little fun with the fact that we always seem to come full circle to Horner's predilection for self-replication. (And it caught my interest because it was the first example of it I ever noticed, back in my early days as a collector.)

Actually, that's a full minute where "The Chase" from Cocoon is an exact replica of a minute from the "Genesis Countdown" in TWOK—complete with unique syncopated rhythms and everything.

Which of course an exact replica of Benjamin Britten's Sinfonia Da Requiem mvt 2 Dies Irae.

Check it out (from about 9:16):

Karol - repeating himself ;)

It's in Cocoon - The Return too.

Nice find, very similar, but I think he perfects this material in "Hard to Starboard."

For amusement, go and look up Al Bathra at www.ascap.com/ace.

Wolf Totem

As much as it seems like its going to be a "greatest hits" of Horner's action music to start (especially "The Wolves Attack The Horses"), it eventually becomes something really special. The main theme is gorgeous, and gets many great variations throughout the score. "Return to the Wild" is one of the greatest wrap-up tracks of Horner's filmography. This is a great album and I can't wait to get the US CD whenever that finally happens.

Yea I'm sure the US CD will come out around then unless the release date of the film gets changed

There's a global listening party today at 9:30AM PDT / 12:30PM EST / you figure out your own local time (its 30 minutes from now)

#ThankYouJamesHorner

This Monday, June 29th, James Horner will be remembered around the world by his fans, admirers, colleagues, and film music enthusiasts, and we want you to be a part of it. That morning, at exactly 9:30AM Pacific Time – exactly one week after Horner’s sudden and tragic death – we invite you to pick a track from one of Horner’s scores, and listen to it wherever you are. You can listen in the car, on your home theater, your mp3 player, streaming online, whatever! You can listen on the go, at work, wherever you are. If you cannot join us exactly at 9:30AM Pacific Time, you can still participate in this global tribute and celebration by listening to his music at some point that morning or during the day.

If you feel so moved when you listen, tell us what you are listening to, and use the hashtag #ThankYouJamesHorner in your post. You can post here, on your Facebook timeline, Twitter, or all of the above! Let’s make our appreciation for this amazing composer’s music known to the world.

Please share this page and invite all those you know who were touched by the life and music of James Horner. This page is the main organizational tool of this event. We want everyone – EVERYONE! – who was (and always will be) impacted by this incredible man and his music to have the opportunity to be a part of this. We will be united by his music and celebrate his legacy together. Will you join us?

More info: https://www.facebook.com/events/1633598916884975/

I'll be listening to TWOK

It was "Preparations for Battle" for me again. Just can't separate that music from the man. I think it's his best moment all the way around.

Now preparing to upload a tribute video for that score (I'd hoped to have it finished by the deadline, but couldn't quite get it done. . . .).

It's a real shame Horner didn't explore the more beautiful side of that theme in the score. I understand the functional purpose, given the film's subject matter, but it's really one of his most beautiful pieces/themes.

Yeah, it's one of those things that lingered, he did a warm-up for it in SWING KIDS but BOY is certainly the better score and reworking of that tune. The melancholically secondary idea that runs from the second track to 'The Boys plan, from Night to Day' is also exemplary in its quiet desperation.

Willow

Oooh, I hadn't listened to this in ages. What joy! I love the texture of this score. It's another fantasy score, but it doesn't really sound a lot like Krull. I loved the handful of quasi-diagetic bits throughout, and the two main themes are both excellent. This is wonderful and I'd love a 2 disc complete edition. Come on, Intrada!

Yea, good stuff. I liked that Willow's theme wasn't even introduced until the second track

I'm betting we're going to see a lot of new, expanded Horner releases over the next couple of years (and I certainly hope Willow will be one of them).

Yeah, it's one of those things that lingered, he did a warm-up for it in SWING KIDS but BOY is certainly the better score and reworking of that tune. The melancholically secondary idea that runs from the second track to 'The Boys plan, from Night to Day' is also exemplary in its quiet desperation.

Listening to this one right now, actually. Also one of my favorite latter Horner scores.

A later Horner i always found very evocative:

I liked that he never decided to guy the obvious route Jewish solo violin/fiddle. Williams' Schindler's List worked because of its almost "source music" vibe but otherwise it's a horrible cliche.

Listening to this one right now, actually. Also one of my favorite latter Horner scores.

Same.

Karol

5:06 - 6:00 of "Death of Titanic" is on the same level of 0:55-1:18 of "The Tide Turns" in my book.

The driving rhythm, the two thematic ideas playing against one another, the build up. Sublime music by two very talented gentlemen.

An American Tail

An American Tail: Fievel Goes West

These are so much fun. Horner's animated scores are just an extension of his regular adventuring scores, but more cutesy or gorgeous. The second is my favourite of the two.

The Barry Mann, Cynthia Weil and Will Jennings songs are so charming they would make a cynic smile.

Star Trek 2: The Wrath Of Khan

Man this is a great score. And one of the few I kind of equally like going back to the OST presentation as much as I like listening to the complete. I mean in most cases once the expanded release comes out i never really have a reason to revisit the OST, but man, this OST is perfectly assembled containing all the highlights and telling a full story while keeping a perfect pace and flow. Also I still in my head always separate the old tracks from the new; A lot of times you get so used to the new presentation eventually as the years go on you "forget" which tracks are new vs old and just enjoy the whole CD without thinking about that stuff. For some reason with TWOK I always an aware of what I'm listening to. Maybe its because the OST was only 9 tracks and they were all long and all the new cues or short, or maybe its because I was used the OST for 15 years and have only had the expanded for 6 (has it been 6 years already? Dang!)

That being said this time I listened to the complete. This time I noticed how lovely the Genesis music is in "Genesis Cave" and "Epilogue", and now great that middle section of Inside Regula I / Brainwashed / Captain Terrell's Death / Buried Alive is. Good stuff!

A later Horner i always found very evocative:

I liked that he never decided to guy the obvious route Jewish solo violin/fiddle. Williams' Schindler's List worked because of its almost "source music" vibe but otherwise it's a horrible cliche.

JNH's DEFIANCE never worked for me for that reason.