JWFan James Horner Listening Party

Jay

Troy

Meh, nothing for me here. Basically its a big jumble of all of Horner's existing ideas, combined in a completely uninspiring way. No good main theme to latch on to, either. There was one theme that reminded me strongly of a theme from some other score (can't think of which one right now), which was unfortunate. And i wasn't expecting Josh Groban to start singing in the last track - eesh! I don't know anything about the guy, but based on the two soundtracks I own with him on it, I never want to listen to any of his stuff.

Did you count the 127 appearances of the danger motif? I might be off by a few though.

Also, you appreciate Jumanji but not Troy? Considering the short time Horner had for Troy, it's a masterpiece compared to Jumanji.

Jumanji is awesome, varied inventive, uniquely orchestrated. Troy was yawn inducing.

Troy

Meh, nothing for me here. Basically its a big jumble of all of Horner's existing ideas, combined in a completely uninspiring way. No good main theme to latch on to, either. There was one theme that reminded me strongly of a theme from some other score (can't think of which one right now), which was unfortunate. And i wasn't expecting Josh Groban to start singing in the last track - eesh! I don't know anything about the guy, but based on the two soundtracks I own with him on it, I never want to listen to any of his stuff.

Good use of Shostakovich, Britten and Vaughan-Williams. Not much else.

Tastes differ, and rightly so.

But honestly speaking I didn't think highly of Troy either at first. Now I don't mind its unoriginality and way too many Hornerisms.

We'll talk again in 10 years, okay?

I can't imagine I'll listen to Troy that often between now and then, but who knows.

I haven't seen the film since theaters either, but doubt I'll see it again any time soon. Plus its confusing with the different cuts out there. Or was that Alexander. I guess its both.

That has to be the single best phonetic rendering of the danger motif I've ever seen. Nice. :thumbup:

Now do "Stealing the Enterprise. . . ."

I can't imagine I'll listen to Troy that often between now and then, but who knows.

I haven't seen the film since theaters either, but doubt I'll see it again any time soon. Plus its confusing with the different cuts out there. Or was that Alexander. I guess its both.

Troy theatrical cut is inferior to the director's cut, which added some great scenes. I enjoy the DC a lot.

Alexander is one of Stone's rare misfires, Troy is better.

I haven't seen the film since theaters either, but doubt I'll see it again any time soon. Plus its confusing with the different cuts out there

There are only two cuts: the theatrical cut and the Director's cut. Nothing confusing.

Re: the Cincinnati Pops--I own almost all of those, and yes, they are speaker killers too. Greatest range I ever found was the Sound of Music re-recording from them.

Re: Jumanji - not a bad score. I like the french horn solos playing the main theme of Alan Parrish. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Do we just bring up scores at random? As far as the thread goes, nobody has brought up the one that inspired my username: Balto. Its often the forgotten score of 1995 because he was doing so much around that time. The emotional material using the strings rivals the Land Before Time and An American Tail. "Heritage of the Wolf" is great because it shows Balto's growth from outcast and shamed to be part-wolf, to actually embracing the fact he is different from the other dogs. Also, as far as I can tell, Horner didn't quote anything he previously did in this score and no danger motifs either. ;)

Do we just bring up scores at random?

Well . . . the whole "listening party" thing implies that we're listing what's on our playlist at the moment—just like the "What's the last score you listened to?" thread, exclusive to James Horner. But there's no reason you can't recommend something for the rest of us to listen to. Still fits the theme just fine.

And Balto does seem to be Horner's overlooked animated score. It's just as good as The Land Before Time and An American Tale, but it gets a lot less attention for some reason.

It really isn't - certainly far from any LAND BEFORE TIME-level - but it's fair enough. It also reeks of Don Davis' ghostwriting (several MATRIX ideas crop up).

This guy did a great adaptation and expansion of Horner's Jumanji theme, which I dare say is better than the original

It sounds a bit too like the theme from the Godzilla series -same composer.

And i wasn't expecting Josh Groban to start singing in the last track - eesh! I don't know anything about the guy, but based on the two soundtracks I own with him on it, I never want to listen to any of his stuff.

There are these two songs by him that are probably the only music I like that I'd call "guilty pleasures." They're just so pretty....

Listening to CASPER. Over the past couple weeks, this has quickly become a new favorite. I love Horner's two main themes, and the Korngold reference is a lot of fun too. Can't get over that melody that's first introduced at 2:31 in "No Sign of Ghosts", though; absolutely stunning. He does an amazing job of putting it into different orchestration contexts over the course of the score, and the rendition in "Casper's Lullaby" is some of my favorite Horner music ever. What a great score.

Listening to CASPER. Over the past couple weeks, this has quickly become a new favorite. I love Horner's two main themes, and the Korngold reference is a lot of fun too. Can't get over that melody that's first introduced at 2:31 in "No Sign of Ghosts", though; absolutely stunning. He does an amazing job of putting it into different orchestration contexts over the course of the score, and the rendition in "Casper's Lullaby" is some of my favorite Horner music ever. What a great score.

CASPER is - given the movie it was written for - better than it has any right to be. Though by this time Horner had to follow the ever-growing Elfman footsteps for silly fx extravaganzas the score is a huge treasure trove of thematic abundance and uncharacteristically lavish orchestration - maybe he still thought he could inherit Williams by this time. ;)

I listened to Glory and Enemy At The Gates today. The former is fantastic. Hadn't listened to it in a long time. The latter is as good as I remember from the film, but also one I don't revisit often enough. I swear though that the main melody is from Schindler's List. Must be some traditional piece.

A good one. Starts off a bit slow (some of the early tracks don't do much for me), but then once its gets going, man does it get going! "Climbing Up ''Iknimaya - The Path to Heaven''" is a highlight!

I listened to the OST; Its been a while since I've bothered with the full sessions leak, or edits made from it. Can't remember what sort of highlights are missing from the OST.

I don't know if I would necessarily call those great pieces (as they tend to be quite incoherent, by Horner's standards) but there are some nice climactic action passages missing (from the battle sequence). They're probably more brutal than any other music from the composer (especially the latter one).

Karol

Glory

Fantastic, a great score. A lot of different musical ideas at play here, but under the mastery of Horner thye come together into a cohesive whole. At 43 minutes, though, its like its over just when its getting started. Here's hoping a specialty label can release an expansion soon. Yes, I know a boot with everything is already out there.

The Spiderwick Chronicles

Never heard this one before. It was fun! Will be listening again for sure.

My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys (1991) - granted there's only 2 tracks on the cd "Going Home" and "In Training" , After 33 seconds of pan pipes on "Going Home" it immediately turns synth and electronic to a variation of the GLORY theme for a few seconds and then the rest of the track well...you'd almost be mistaken that this was actually Horner music.

Troy

Good use of Shostakovich, Britten and Vaughan-Williams. Not much else.

What about Horner's remake of Battle on the Ice?

It's certainly a lot better then the rejected Yared score.

Why do people always need to bring it up? Better or worse, it's still a solid work.

Karol

It's certainly a lot better then the rejected Yared score.

You are clearly not thinking straight. I suggest the following:

Get off the booze, pop in Troy by Yared, hit play, listen until music stops, change opinion, post apologies.

I like Troy. More cohesive than it should have been.

Karol

The track "Troy" when the procession enters the city always gives me goosebumps. Still it's a kick in the teeth to Yared's year long labour of love. Still both are good scores.