Who should take over on STAR WARS after Williams is gone?

curlytoot

45 members have voted

1. 1. Who should take over on STAR WARS after Williams is gone?

• Michael Giacchino
    • Alexandre Desplat
    • David Arnold
    • James Newton Howard
    • Thomas Newman
    • Brian Tyler
    • Danny Elfman
    • Marco Beltrami
    • Trevor Jones
    • George Fenton
    • John Debney
    • John Ottman
    • Hans Zimmer
    • Patrick Doyle
    • Joel McNeely
    • William Ross
    • John Powell
    • Alan Silvestri
    • Howard Shore
    • David Newman

Talking about Charles Aznavour and John Williams. They are not gone yet, but... Isn't it formidable to have lived while these two last sacred beasts also lived?

After them, the world will never be the same.

An era will be ended. In Chanson domain and in Movie scores domain, I mean.

And I'm afraid that the successors of these two are not yet born... if someone really can achieve half of a quarter of the things they've done, which I doubt.

Mozart was born 6 years after Bach's death...

There are many, many composers who are more than capable of continuing on Williams' legacy in the cinema, to say nothing of those who are already forging their own, and frankly, larger, legacies in the concert hall.

Soule is a solid composer and I wouldn't necessarily object to him having a crack at Star Wars (he's far more interesting to me than many on that list), but I'm not sure he's demonstrated a strong grasp of leitmotif development and a keen ability to weave themes and ideas into rich narrative tapestries Williams/Shore style; like Marty O'Donnell has. Correct me if I'm wrong :)

Can't be wrong about what you feel! I know Soule better through his Elder Scrolls stuff than any of his other work, so I can't really speak about his ability to develop, since those scores center on what are pretty much self-contained pieces - although, he does carry over a few themes between the games, besides the main one, and there are a few more recurring ideas within Skyrim. His symphony, whenever it's finished, should demonstrate what he can do on that front fully.

Once again, I say, most unclassy of him!

One should be able to make a point without putting down another composer, Zimmer or otherwise.

Where exactly did I put any composer down?

If you read what I said, then you'd know I'm clearly mocking the fanboys of Zimmer on youtube, and not Zimmer himself. If you've read any comments on a youtube video of Zimmer's music, that is what you will find. I never once said any particular composer was bad. Also, this is a place where film music is discussed, and yet you say that talking negatively about a composer or a certain style of music is unclassy... so apparently we're supposed to praise every composer and every note written. That's news to me. I thought we were allowed to express our dislike of something.

Omg, like totes has to be Hans Zimmerman. He's the best like ever. So much better than that old guy who did the other Star Trek films. Zimmerman is a god. He should do everything ever because his music is so epic! I play (insert random war game) and listen to his epicness and it makes me feel like I'm really shooting some terrorists. Like totally.

Says the guy who thinks second-rate imitations of 80's film music that sounds like Williams, Goldsmith, Horner and Silvestri put through a blender is the second coming of film music.

What a world...

:pfft:

There's some head removal cream I could recommend for you. You have to apply it to your ass.

Everyone always has the same predictable response! Sigh....

Allow me to reassure you:

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions."

"Let's agree to disagree!"

"Different strokes for different folks."

Everyone always has the same predictable response! Sigh....

Allow me to reassure you:

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions."

"Let's agree to disagree!"

"Different strokes for different folks."

The responses usually given by someone who can't back up anything they said and so need to end the discussion as quickly as possible in order to save face.

Anyway, back to the actual discussion.

I would definitely back Giacchino as well as Arnold of course to take over, as he's proved his talent for big sci-fi space opera stuff.

There is no adequate replacement. But I went with JNH.

Arnold, Silvestri, or maybe John Ottman are my picks.

BTW who the hell is Hans Zimmerman? I only know of a Hans Zimmer but not a Zimmerman and even the other guy's music sucks ass these days.

BTW who the hell is Hans Zimmerman? I only know of a Hans Zimmer but not a Zimmerman and even the other guy's music sucks ass these days.

I vote for Hans Zimmermanplatchino.

The right ear would have followed suit if he'd have been forced to listen to ID4, STARGATE and GODZILLA.

As quality and brilliance isn't your thing, I could suggest some Remote Control composers that you may enjoy. Perhaps monotonous 'atmospheric' music is more your thing.

While those three scores are impressive, I'd say "quality and brilliance" is stretching it, to put it mildly...

I much prefer Arnold's quoter, more personal works. Young Americans, Amazing Grace, Sliding Doors and the more reflective parts of Quantum of Solace. It's where I hear his true voice, and less of Nicholas Dodd's (an extremely talented chap in his own right).

Y'all probably guessed, but I went with Desplat. Wish him the best of luck with Rogue One.

Soule is still too much of an unknown quantity for me.

TFA may be Williams last Star Wars film by choice. I certainly hope he isn't burned out after working with Abrams and continues to score the following episodes. I really have no idea who should follow if Williams chooses to leave Star Wars. After hearing Jurassic World a number of times, I don't think Gia would be a good choice. I'm curious to see what Desplat will do with Rogue One. I'm guessing he will utilize some of Williams' themes such as the Rebel Fanfare.

And this IS Star Wars. He describes Stargate as Lawrence of Arabia meets Star Wars, and I can think of no other that can create a level of magic this high, required for a SW film besides Williams, and he achieves it in under a minute.

That sounds more like Arnold in his Barry Mode™ to me, although DA's obsessive focus on the minor subdominant in this, ID4 and some of his Bond scores is a bit tiring. It's a lovely chord change and instantly evokes nostalgic longing, John Barry and Old Hollywood, but it can become a crutch as in here.

But is it Star Wars? No, that's a much broader pallet. You'd have to show me a 10 minute cue encompassing everything from brassy fanfares to lush romanticism, impressionist tone painting, to Stravinskian primitivism, post-Webernian pointillism and high modernist soundscapes. THAT my friends would be Star Wars.

This Lee guy is gonna fit right in here, oh yes.

Great name eh?

Marcus!

That's very sweet of you!

And it would have been a fun gig!

But maybe one likelier to one day be offered my old MSM colleague, Joe Trapanese.

I certainly know what I would have liked to make of it, though, should the job come my way...

I'm not too familiar with the second score yet. A cue came on shuffle and I was surprised by how distinctive it was. Wasn't surprised when I saw what it was.

I'll give a multi-part answer to this.  

1.  I'm not sure how much I really care   John Williams is pretty much the only reason Star Wars still matters to me.

2.  I'm as big a Howard Shore fan as anyone, but I don't think his voice would translate especially well to the SW universe.  The same goes for Clint Mansell.

3.  My three top picks all aren't listed.  

Bruce Broughton    

Christopher Young  

Anne Dudley

As for the poll, I picked Joel McNeely on the strength of Shadows of the Empire.

4.  I'm not sure how much it matters who the composer is as long as the project has orchestrators capable of emulating various "Williamsisms" and there is a general respect for the ground already laid in the universe.  On that thought, one interesting pick might be John Debney, who seems to have a knack for imitation, and in this case it would serve him well.

I refuse to vote

That was my initial reaction, too, but Disney will milk the franchise for everything it's worth (see Marvel), and even if John Williams lives to be 194, he won't be scoring five Star Wars films a year. Somebody will have to pick up the slack.

"You'd have to show me a 10 minute cue encompassing everything from brassy fanfares to lush romanticism, impressionist tone painting, to Stravinskian primitivism, post-Webernian pointillism and high modernist soundscapes. THAT my friends would be Star Wars."

End credits suite from Independence Day.

"You'd have to show me a 10 minute cue encompassing everything from brassy fanfares to lush romanticism, impressionist tone painting, to Stravinskian primitivism, post-Webernian pointillism and high modernist soundscapes. THAT my friends would be Star Wars."

That has... two of those, only.

By that criteria, the only capable candidate is Jerry Goldsmith. JNH and Shore may be close behind.

Are you a giant douche or a turd sandwich?

What is your deal?
He's quoting South Park.

Nope. That's just Barry/Silvestri/Horner/Copland in a blender.

Nope. That's just Barry/Silvestri/Horner/Copland in a blender.

Sounded good to me.

I'm surprised nobody's fielding the idea of Mark Griskey taking over. I'd love to see what he'd do with a Star Wars film score.

Who?

The guy who did the music for Knights Of The Old Republic 2, The Force Unleashed, The Force Unleashed II and The Old Republic.