Who should take over on STAR WARS after Williams is gone?

curlytoot

45 members have voted

1. 1. Who should take over on STAR WARS after Williams is gone?

• Michael Giacchino
    • Alexandre Desplat
    • David Arnold
    • James Newton Howard
    • Thomas Newman
    • Brian Tyler
    • Danny Elfman
    • Marco Beltrami
    • Trevor Jones
    • George Fenton
    • John Debney
    • John Ottman
    • Hans Zimmer
    • Patrick Doyle
    • Joel McNeely
    • William Ross
    • John Powell
    • Alan Silvestri
    • Howard Shore
    • David Newman

Until now 2010 was the last great year for him. I certainly thought he peaked too early but Tomorrowland and Jurassic World beg to differ.

What's wrong with Inside Out and Jupiter Ascending?

Nothing, I just don't like them as much. Inside Out is actually pretty inconsequential to me, no replay value. Jupiter is too long, but I love the movement.

I dunno, 'greatness' almost always manifests itself very early on in a career.

How long is Giacchino doing scores?

He started in the late 90s. MOH was the first score I heard by him and it's a masterpiece. He composed that at 31 vs John's first masterpiece at 43 ;)

How long does he write for film and did he already write a Jaws or a Star Wars in that period? If he did, then why doesn't the world know about it?

Alex (or the world)

Again, he started in the late 90s.

So every Composer must pass the 'have they written a Jaws or Star Wars yet?' test in order to advance on the JWFan scale of quality.

Or are there other tests that Composers need to take? Perhaps from the JNH school of Composing, Like the 'have they written a Signs or The Village' test.

Zimmer, on the other hand ...

Don't even joke about such things!

Whether you like him or not, he will be a film score legend in history. There's no joke.

Zimmer, on the other hand ...

Don't even joke about such things!

Whether you like him or not, he will be a film score legend in history. There's no joke.

Just as long as he stays away from Star Wars!

Zimmer is like having a kid. Sometimes they brighten your day, sometimes they make a horrible mess, and of course you love them, but you never ever let them near the fine china.

Inside Out is actually pretty inconsequential to me, no replay value. Jupiter is too long, but I love the movement.

I'm really surprised you feel that way. I can't imagine what you don't like about Inside Out; It's the most original score Giacchino has done in years!

I still don't know how I really feel about Jupiter Ascending....

Zimmer is like having a kid. Sometimes they brighten your day, sometimes they make a horrible mess, and of course you love them, but you never ever let them near the fine china.

Oh please. He has his "fine china" just as Williams has his "dirty laundry."

I've only listened to it once, but I have to admit, Inside Out didn't do it for me. Not interesting at all. I got bored listening to it. I'm sure I'll warm to it...maybe, but the film doesn't interest me either. Not seen it, don't intend to. For me this year, it goes 1) Jurassic World 2) Jupiter Ascending 3) Tomorrowland 4) Inside Out.

Dirty laundry can be cleaned up!

Dirty laundry can be cleaned up!

Yes, unless speciality record labels start releasing it all over the place. ;)

You miss my point. The fine china in this case is Star Wars. I thought it was clear, since this thread is about Star Wars.

You miss my point. The fine china in this case is Star Wars. I thought it was clear, since this thread is about Star Wars.

No, it wasn't clear. Be more clear next time. Or death.

Interstellar is a good score!

I was unable to make it past the 20 minute mark. I got suicidal at the 5 minute mark when up to that point I only heard 1 note. There's minimalism, and then there laziness.

So every Composer must pass the 'have they written a Jaws or Star Wars yet?' test in order to advance on the JWFan scale of quality.

Or are there other tests that Composers need to take? Perhaps from the JNH school of Composing, Like the 'have they written a Signs or The Village' test.

Not every composer. But if people are saying Gia is the next Williams, then yes. Gia hasn't yet created a score that changed the world, so to speak, unlike Williams with SW, Jaws and even Superman.

No need. When I'm literally uncomfortably bored 20 minutes in to a score, I don't torture myself by sitting through the rest. I may end up changing my mind if I ever watch the film, considering Hans' main strength is amalgamation.

Not every composer. But if people are saying Gia is the next Williams, then yes. Gia hasn't yet created a score that changed the world, so to speak, unlike Williams with SW, Jaws and even Superman.

THIS!

Fair enough. But you have to take into account the state of music in films. It's much harder to have a score that changes the world these days. Horner did it with Titanic, and Shore did it with LOTR, but in the last 10 years. Has anything changed the world? Williams himself hasn't made an impact worthy of world changing in the last decade. I'd say the closest of Giacchino's to make a significant enough impact was UP, simply because people really identify with that opening sequence music.

He started in the late 90s. MOH was the first score I heard by him and it's a masterpiece. He composed that at 31 vs John's first masterpiece at 43 ;)

Sorry, but MOH (a competent but middle of the road pastiche job) is a masterpiece, but Images is not?

anigif_enhanced-8112-1396384492-2.gif

No need. When I'm literally uncomfortably bored 20 minutes in to a score, I don't torture myself by sitting through the rest. I may end up changing my mind if I ever watch the film, considering Hans' main strength is amalgamation.

My suggestion was not that you hear more to change your mind, but hear more to ensure suicide.

Fair enough. But you have to take into account the state of music in films. It's much harder to have a score that changes the world these days. Horner did it with Titanic, and Shore did it with LOTR, but in the last 10 years. Has anything changed the world? Williams himself hasn't made an impact worthy of world changing in the last decade. I'd say the closest of Giacchino's to make a significant enough impact was UP, simply because people really identify with that opening sequence music.

I'm not sure how we're defining "world changing" here, but I think 2010 was probably the most recent hot button year for film scoring with How to Train Your Dragon, Inception, The Social Network, and TRON Legacy gathering a lot of fans in general and fueling passionate discussion/debate among the film score community. Whatever anyone's opinion is on the quality of those scores or anything that's come out since then, that was the last time I felt like there were loads of people really buzzing about film scores.

Sorry, but MOH (a competent but middle of the road pastiche job) is a masterpiece, but Images is not?

anigif_enhanced-8112-1396384492-2.gif

I just went for the widely recognized title. Johnny's first masterpiece is Cinderella Liberty!

It's realistic and relatable. Let's agree to disagree. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. BTW, ever hear about how Williams got hired to do Schindler's List?

I'm sad that film composers don't change the world anymore.

Zimmer has changed the world. Every producer wants every composer to sound like him.