Who should take over on STAR WARS after Williams is gone?

curlytoot

45 members have voted

1. 1. Who should take over on STAR WARS after Williams is gone?

• Michael Giacchino
    • Alexandre Desplat
    • David Arnold
    • James Newton Howard
    • Thomas Newman
    • Brian Tyler
    • Danny Elfman
    • Marco Beltrami
    • Trevor Jones
    • George Fenton
    • John Debney
    • John Ottman
    • Hans Zimmer
    • Patrick Doyle
    • Joel McNeely
    • William Ross
    • John Powell
    • Alan Silvestri
    • Howard Shore
    • David Newman

In fact, Zimmer has changed the world so much that I thought the score to Mad Max: Fury Road sounded awkwardly old-fashioned.

I saw Captain Phillips yesterday and the music for the last scene was a total rip-off of Interstellar. I almost feel sorry for film composers. Is it the genre with the least amount of artistic freedom? Music trapped in a straitjacket?

Alex

In fact, Zimmer has changed the world so much that I thought the score to Mad Max: Fury Road sounded awkwardly old-fashioned.

It was old-fasioned. Reminds me of a Bruckheimer score from the early 2000's.

I saw Captain Phillips yesterday and the music for the last scene was a total rip-off of Interstellar. I almost feel sorry for film composers. Is it the genre with the least amount of artistic freedom? Music trapped in a straitjacket?

Captain Philips pre-dates Interstellar.

Yeah Inception was a huge influence on how films are scored these days.

The thing is that Zimmer has done that several times. With Crimson Tide, Gladiator, the Batman ones and Interstellar.

He's possibly the most influential Hollywood composer since Korngold and Steiner.

Yeah Inception was a huge influence on how films are scored these days.

The thing is that Zimmer has done that several times. With Crimson Tide, Gladiator, the Batman ones and Interstellar.

He's possibly the most influential Hollywood composer since Korngold and Steiner.

And The Lion King.

Karol

The current state of film is dumb now. Originality is quickly thrown aside in favour of the repetitive. I'm not surprised that the Zimmer Corporation is thriving.

No need. When I'm literally uncomfortably bored 20 minutes in to a score, I don't torture myself by sitting through the rest. I may end up changing my mind if I ever watch the film, considering Hans' main strength is amalgamation.

My suggestion was not that you hear more to change your mind, but hear more to ensure suicide.

Don't worry, I just wanted to see if you would directly tell me to kill myself as all.

Indeed. Large parts of it sounded like outdated 90s Zimmer power action music, as Steef says, from the ol' Bruckheimer days.

The current state of film is dumb now. Originality is quickly thrown aside in favour of the repetitive. I'm not surprised that the Zimmer Corporation is thriving.

If we're to compare Zimmer and Giacchino, originality applies far more to the former than the latter. Just look at Zimmer's vast career and how his musical voice has changed. Say what you will about his music, but you have to credit him for continuing to push his boundaries and strive for new forays into varying musical genres. Giacchino on the other hand rarely steps out of pastiche or the lack of a unique musical stamp with his bigger scores. That's not to say Giacchino doesn't have his own unique voice, it's just not all that particularly interesting when you take out all the flash and the pomp. I think the man is built for a more intimate sound, its why his Pixar scores are so effective. I might not play Inside Out very often (despite its nice array of colours), but it really helps establish the heart in the film. I will say Jurassic World was a great effort though. But really, aside from his Pixar scores, has his music even come close to the effect Zimmer's had in his films? There's a reason the Z-man has been changing the industry since the 90s!

No need. When I'm literally uncomfortably bored 20 minutes in to a score, I don't torture myself by sitting through the rest. I may end up changing my mind if I ever watch the film, considering Hans' main strength is amalgamation.

My suggestion was not that you hear more to change your mind, but hear more to ensure suicide.

Don't worry, I just wanted to see if you would directly tell me to kill myself as all.

Well congratulations. You got yourself caught. Now what's the next step in your master plan?

I don't think we can really say that about Interstellar yet. Then again, I guess it's only a matter of time.

Doubtful. The film probably wasn't outright loved enough to convince bean-counters that the more sublte drumless approach was a good move by Hans. Just a tragically boring misstep in his career, not the next trendsetter!

Calling Hans Zimmer original is the funniest thing I've heard all day. He takes others ideas that have been done better, and he takes them to the mainstream, passing them off as his own. Then everyone calls him a genius. I like Zimmer. I paid a lot to see him in concert. But I understand that he is a 50/50 composer. Sometimes good, sometimes awful. Calling Giacchino less original than Zimmer is ridiculous. His 4 scores this year couldn't have sounded more different.

Haha. I feel kind of sick thinking that I've been talking to someone who all along thought Zimmer was original and Giacchino wasn't.

since we're in opposite land, how ugly is Jennifer Lawrence! Am I right. Dayum she a dog.

Haha. I feel kind of sick thinking that I've been talking to someone who all along thought Zimmer was original and Giacchino wasn't.

since we're in opposite land, how ugly is Jennifer Lawrence! Am I right. Dayum she a dog.

Eh, you know what, you're not terribly entertaining to spar with. Too easy.

Maybe in a few months.

You guys' bickering is silly and no one wants to read it.

And please remember the point bolded below

01 - Personal attacks will not be allowed. Please be RESPECTFUL of one another, allow for differences in opinions, and please don't make anyone feel that they cannot post their views in this forum.

For all leeallen01's talk of how we should all be able to have differing opinions harmoniously, it is curious that he feels the need to make a scene when people don't share his mindset. And he has the persistent symptom of being unable to champion his own tastes without putting down those of others. A shame.

Giacchino still needs his own Images to really prove himself.

I know he has it him to deliver, but he probably needs a new collaborator that pushes him to the fullest, like his own Altman. Williams got that early in his carreer, who's to say Giacchino won't have it later?

Hansy can do amazing work when he puts all he's got into something, like Lion King or Prince of Egypt, but when he micromanages the results can vary... Still, both guys love music with their entire souls.

Giacchino has shown at least a cursory knowledge of some of the most hardcore forms of orchestral writing, but I wonder if he can acquit himself legitimately in that fashion, in a serious way like Images, or if he even wants to.

That's what holds him back from real greatness in my view. That and his over-reliance on two or three chord themes with melodies that don't justify the simple harmonies by being interesting in their own right... but he has demonstrated that he can do otherwise, there. But on the matter of truly dense, cerebral, inventive moments... I'm still waiting I guess.

None of this would matter, of course, if he weren't so clearly trying to exist in the musical world where this stuff is necessary. If he wanted to do his own thing, like Zimmer or Newman or JNH or whoever, it wouldn't matter. But as others have said, he is stylistically (in a general sense) putting himself firmly in the shadow of Williams and Goldsmith, so he'd better deliver, or he's gonna get called out for not.

Being indirectly told to kill myself because of thinking Zimmer's Interstellar is garbage, is pretty much why I don't respect your opinion. If someone doesn't agree with me, fine. I have never flipped out if someone says they don't agree, but being ridiculed for my opinion is going to be met with the same attitude as you give. Enough of this frat guy mentality where new posters have to be messed with simply because they hadn't discovered this great place to discuss things years ago.

Sometimes I have to really think about whether or not to express my like for something, because I know with certainty that I'm not just going to be told I'm wrong, which is fine, because it's my view, not yours, but I know that I will be treated like some random nerd in an Adam Sandler movie, being pushed over in the school corridor.

3.....2......1.....cue the witty remarks that intend to put me and my views down.

Seriously guys, enough. Take your bickering to PMs if you want.

Let's bring this thread back on topic NOW.

This whole forum sucks.

Time to move to Filmtracks.

About time!

Though I've stopped frequenting there myself.

None of this would matter, of course, if he weren't so clearly trying to exist in the musical world where this stuff is necessary. If he wanted to do his own thing, like Zimmer or Newman or JNH or whoever, it wouldn't matter. But as others have said, he is stylistically (in a general sense) putting himself firmly in the shadow of Williams and Goldsmith, so he'd better deliver, or he's gonna get called out for not.

This.

Calling Hans Zimmer original is the funniest thing I've heard all day. He takes others ideas that have been done better, and he takes them to the mainstream, passing them off as his own.

And Giacchino doesn't do this? At least when Zimmer pulls from various genres, he's still trying to create a sound that is inherently his own. Which is why regardless of how you feel about the actual music, he has built a sound that is unique to his name. He basically tries to do his own thing as TGP puts it.

Giacchino on the other hand chooses to stick to the tradition of his predecessors; them being the likes of Goldsmith and Williams; and while there certainly isn't any less merit to that, he struggles to pull the weight and live up to the expectations that come with trekking that road.

Shore, Newman, Powell, JNH, Desplat, etc etc all built off a pre-existing medium to craft a very unique sound for themselves. Giacchino on the other hand sticks to the tried and tested, aiming to recreate the sound of his heroes for a new generation. But that kind of thing is easier said than done, though there are definitely flashes in his career where he does it really well. When it comes down to it, the traits that make Giacchino's sound unique just aren't all that interesting (two-chord piano themes, typical intervallic writing, sustained harmonies for emotional effect, etc etc), at least when he tries to write for a blockbuster audience. That's why I feel his characteristic traits are more suited for smaller and more intimate pictures.

Giacchino sounds like Giacchino. I don't hear Williams or Goldsmith when I listen to his music. He's carved out his own sound as much as the other composers KK listed. He also did it almost immediately upon becoming a composer.

Giacchino uninteresting?

In general, yep. He has his moments and JURASSIC WORLD is still entertaining, but I don't feel the need to inspect the sheet music, the way I do with Williams, Zimmer or Desplat. To paraphrase Pierre Boulez, it's like third-pressed olives. Tasteless.

Giacchino has shown at least a cursory knowledge of some of the most hardcore forms of orchestral writing, but I wonder if he can acquit himself legitimately in that fashion, in a serious way like Images, or if he even wants to.

This, this, this to the power of N