Who should take over on STAR WARS after Williams is gone?

curlytoot

45 members have voted

1. 1. Who should take over on STAR WARS after Williams is gone?

• Michael Giacchino
    • Alexandre Desplat
    • David Arnold
    • James Newton Howard
    • Thomas Newman
    • Brian Tyler
    • Danny Elfman
    • Marco Beltrami
    • Trevor Jones
    • George Fenton
    • John Debney
    • John Ottman
    • Hans Zimmer
    • Patrick Doyle
    • Joel McNeely
    • William Ross
    • John Powell
    • Alan Silvestri
    • Howard Shore
    • David Newman

Williams no longer composes for Spielberg?

It's all over, folks!

You are on JWfan pretty much every day, and you didn't know Thomas Newman had replaced Williams on Bridge Of Spies?

Why are you even here man?

Huh, I thought you knew why Alex still visits. JWFan is his daily superiority rush.

Koray isn't a fan though, and I'm not sure O'Donnell would be to Sharky's taste either.

To me, the huge body of work he's put into the two universes he's composed for is utterly brilliant. That's why he's who I'd consider a fit for the SW franchise, because he understands leitmotif rich heft and sweep, big time.

I remember playing Halo 3 in splitscreen multiplayer at a mates house back in the day, but the music didn't register. Just listened to your example, and I was blown away. Wow. This O'Donnell guy's got skills.

:up:

I always liked you.

I only know Wintory from that game with the adorable flying doormats. Who's O'Donnell?

My third favourite living score composer after Williams and Shore.

https://youtu.be/BkV7YpM6zxE

https://youtu.be/HO3ahU18VyE

I thought you only liked three scores from Howard Shore? Or one, for that matter.

Karol

I love his LotR trilogy and consider it to be top 5 material. Then there's his moody and distinct Cronenberg collabs, with his beastly The Fly being my favorite of those, and then there's the grim pessimistic sound of Silence of the Lambs, which is a terrific thriller score.

I love his LotR trilogy and consider it to be top 5 material. Then there's his moody and distinct Cronenberg collabs, with his beastly The Fly being my favorite of those, and then there's the grim pessimistic sound of Silence of the Lambs, which is a terrific thriller score.

They certainly are. I just can't recall you talking about them on this board, that's all.

Of the Cronenberg collaborations I really recommend Spider and Dead Ringers. The latter finally got an album last year, which is very good indeed.

Karol

It might end up being a more worthy score than Williams' various output since the mid-noughties, which has been uncharacteristic and autopilot scoring, especially Crystal Skull. I don't even listen to that stuff. He hasn't hit the notes the way he should since the Winter of 2005 when he recorded Revenge of the Sith. I'm still hoping TFA is amazing and he redeems himself, especially if it's his swan song.

It won't be his swansong, he's recording the BFG after it.

That's why I no longer follow his career with a geeky interest. I leave that to the Steefs of the world.

Its geeky to know who scored Spielbergs latest film if you read and post on a John Williams forum every day?

Please....

I dreamt today that John Williams had died after a long and secret battle with cancer. (That's why he hadnt scored Bridge of Spies and was struggling with Star Wars)

And since if one tells other people about a dream the dream does not come to be, that is what i am doing right now!

I dreamt today that John Williams had died after a long and secret battle with cancer. (That's why he hadnt scored Bridge of Spies and was struggling with Star Wars)

And since if one tells other people about a dream the dream does not come to be, that is what i am doing right now!

I also had a John Williams related dream. In it, TFA was only released in MP3 form, with no lossless or CD options. I woke up screaming.