Jaws in the Theater!

Lurker

If anyone is interested, the original Jaws will be playing at The American Museum of the Moving Image on Sunday, March 23 at 1 p.m. This is one of those movies I've been dying to see in the theater, and it seems I'll now have the opportunity to experience one of Williams' greatest scores in the theater with, hopefully, hundreds of others.

Another film that I've been dying to see in the theater is 2001: A Space Odyssey. That'll be playing a week later at the same theater in a brand new 70mm print. Sure, I may not get to see Goldsmith in London conducting the score to Star Trek - The Motion Picture, but I'll finally get to experience these two landmark films on the big screen.

Neil

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless the film's sound is remastered to spill out of speakers all around you, then I wouldn't be interested. I've always wondered what it was like to hear that music in the summer of 1975, especially the beginning.

Wow.

drink lots of coffee, or cokes/pepsi/mountain dew before you see :|

2001 A Space Oddity. By being hyperactive from all the caffine, you will be able to notice the very static effects(can't call them special), and the very pedestrian story line. Dave, what are you doing, Dave? You are sure to find new definition for the word overrated.

With Jaws you will be able to see on the big screen the master in full command of his cinematic talents. Often referred to as a popcorn flick, Jaws is one of the finest acted, best shot, finely edited, and superbly scored action adventure films of all time.

Unless the film's sound is remastered to spill out of speakers all around you, then I wouldn't be interested. I've always wondered what it was like to hear that music in the summer of 1975, especially the beginning.

Wow.

I'm actually looking forward to hearing the original mono mix after suffering through the terrible 5.1 re-mix of the Jaws DVD.

Joe, I love 2001.

Neil

Joe, I love 2001.

Neil

I loved the year, being the first of the 21st century and all, but the movie was about as exciting as watching bread mold.

Dave, I am going to bore you to death now, Dave.

Joe, who thought 2010 to be a much better film.

Experience JAWS with DTS sound on Region 1 DVD. The only way to listen to it.

Hitch, who pioneered DTS sound in the 1960s. :|

Sure Hitch, that's why Bennie's original recording for Psycho only survives in mono sound. :roll:

Stefancos- who has no real problems with the DD 5.1 mix, but would have liked the original oscarwinning mix to have been included.

Sure Hitch, that's why Bennie's original recording for Psycho only survives in mono sound. :roll:

But I have the original master tapes and have them remastered with digital stereophonic sound dubbed from the Mexican bootleg reel.

Hitch :|

The thing that pisses me off about the Jaws DVD is the change of two specific sound effects.

1) The whale song while they're on the Orca. You can barely hear it on the DVD version, but on TV broadcasts you can hear it perfectly.

2) The ricochet sound when Brody shoots the oxygen tank while it's in the sharks mouth. Yeah, it's not there at ALL on the DVD, which really sucks because, for some odd reason, it's my favorite part of the movie. I don't know why. It just sounds so damn cool, that "PIKOWWWWWW" sound and then an explosion.....again, it's definitely there on the TV versions but not the DVD.

Feh!

Joe, I love 2001.

Neil

I loved the year, being the first of the 21st century and all, but the movie was about as exciting as watching bread mold.

Dave, I am going to bore you to death now, Dave.

Joe, who thought 2010 to be a much better film.

Amen to that!

Jaws is one of those "must see" films on the big screen! That was the very first Spielberg film I saw, and I was also fortunate enough to have seen it in its theatrical run. It still ranks as being the most thrilling theatrical experiences of my life, probably next to seeing Star Wars.

This is one of those films I wish I could see "for the first time," just to go in, not exactly knowing what to expect, and being surprised at every moment. In fact, when I saw the film, there sure was a lot of screaming--either for the red herring moments Spielberg is good at doing, or for the really scary moments when you leap out of your seat. :ola:

And anybody who disses 2001 obviously didn't "get" the movie. :)

Jaws is one of those "must see" films on the big screen!  That was the very first Spielberg film I saw, and I was also fortunate enough to have seen it in its theatrical run.  It still ranks as being the most thrilling theatrical experiences of my life, probably next to seeing Star Wars.

This is one of those films I wish I could see "for the first time," just to go in, not exactly knowing what to expect, and being surprised at every moment.  In fact, when I saw the film, there sure was a lot of screaming--either for the red herring moments Spielberg is good at doing, or for the really scary moments when you leap out of your seat.  :ola:

And anybody who disses 2001 obviously didn't "get" the movie.  :)

Oh please, I got the movie,

I even had a class, 20th Century Literature-A Religious Survey, where we watched the film and had to do a paper on it. I sat throught the film for the 3rd or 4th time then had to listen to all my classmates go on and on how great it was. I was the lone gunman on this one. Took alot of shit by everyone including the professor. Still got a A on my paper though.

Dave, what is this, Dave.

Dave, you don't expect me to give you an A do you, Dave.

2) The ricochet sound when Brody shoots the oxygen tank while it's in the sharks mouth. Yeah, it's not there at ALL on the DVD, which really sucks because, for some odd reason, it's my favorite part of the movie. I don't know why. It just sounds so damn cool, that "PIKOWWWWWW" sound and then an explosion.....again, it's definitely there on the TV versions but not the DVD.

LOL You are one weird kid. :ola:

To quote Kubrick, 2001 is what you make of it. It is not about story.

I was a bit too young to have seen it in Theater in 75 ,but I saw it a few years later at a vacation drive-in,and remember how thrilling and exciting this movie was compared to those frightening 666 movies of the times(but the head in the boat gave me some nightmares for a while).

K.M.

I saw Jaws in the cinema as a kid, and I must say it was a terrifying experience. Probably scarred me for life LOL

I still went swimming at the local beach, but was petrified for years about the idea of being eaten by a shark, and I never swam out too far.

When I saw E.T. as a young teen, I was dazed for days afterwards, and fully believed in UFO's, thought I would see one any day now.

I agree with Joe, 2001 is one of the dullest films and one of the most overrated films in the history of cinema. The only good thing to come from it was the chance to hear Alex North's score that Kubrick threw out.

I never got a chance to see Jaws in the theatre. :|

Unfortunately I saw Jaws 3D and Jaws 4 in the theatres as well. banghead

On a funny side note during Jaws 3D, what I thought was seaweed during an underwater sequence turned out to be a girl's very straggely hairdo sticking up in my vision. I almost touched it like we tend to do in 3D films. That would have brought a scream.

I agree with Joe, 2001 is one of the dullest films and one of the most overrated films in the history of cinema. The only  

I never was patient enough to watch all of it.

On a funny side note during Jaws 3D, what I thought was seaweed during an underwater sequence turned out to be a girl's very straggely hairdo sticking up in my vision. I almost touched it like we tend to do in 3D films. That would have brought a scream.

The spinning fish head was cool too :| .

K.M.who thinksTreasure of the Four Crowns the best 3D that year.

I wish i could see Jaws in the theater.

I remember seeing Jurassic Park in the theater and went back another time. Just haad to see the dinosaur eat somebody. Never saw anything like that before. Special effects officially stated to ruin films after that.

Sure special effects have been around for a long time, but the quick and easy and constant use that stated to appear drew away from the dialouge and characters. At least back in the old days if there were alot of specia leffects, we could still count on a good movie. Sometimes.

I wish i could see Jaws in the theater.

I remember seeing Jurassic Park in the theater and went back another time.  Just haad to see the dinosaur eat somebody.  Never saw anything like that before.  Special effects officially stated to ruin films after that.

Those same arguments were made after Star Wars came out.

Neil

Could be Neil, but no. There's a difference.

I use randon SW movie, say 2 and Independance Day for my examples.

Star Wars 2 (i mean 2 as in the second movie from the original trilogy, not the god awful AOTC) uses Character to drive the movie and special effects to help tell the story.

ID4 uses Special effects to drive the movie and tell the story and cheap character like characters.

Special Effects can be used, but when they cover up the human element, the reason for seeing the movie, why pay 8.00 to see that? I can watch A-Bombs on the Discovery channel for free.

ould be Neil, but no.  there's a difference.

I use randon SW movie, say 2 and Independance Day for my examples.

Star Wars 2 uses Character to drive the movie and special effects to help tell the story.

ID4 uses Special effects to drive the movie and tell the story and cheap character like characters.

Special Effects can be used, but whne they cover up the human element, the reason for seeijng the movie, why pay 8.00 to see that?  I can watch A-Bombs on the Discovery channel for free.

Can you translate this post please? I have no idea what you are talking about. I see my name here, and I have no idea why.

Neil

I was in reply to:

Those same arguments were made after Star Wars came out.  

Neil

And the post, besides a few added letters in words that do not belong there, was self explanitory.

I don't know why, but everytime i see your name i think of that Comedy Central commercial for Insominiac where the host has the vacuum attached to his crotch, yelling, "Neil, Neil!"

To my shame, I must admit I largly ignored this thread until now, but...wow...this is a great thread :) .

Actually people with common sense here (talking about 2001), who just don´t base their opinion on the "offical top ten movies of all time".

To my knowledge 2001 is in it every time and is "offically" regarded as the "best science fiction movie of all time".

To me this shows just how wrong these lists are!

By the way I can´t understand while "Citizen Kane" always is voted as "best movie of all time", either.

But talking about 2001, I would even prefer Battlestar Galactica over this.

This movie should be applied to people who have sleeping problems!

2001 bashers unite (I´m sick of this movie being regarded a "masterpiece")!

I don't know why, but everytime i see your name i think of that Comedy Central commercial for Insominiac where the host has the vacuum attached to his crotch, yelling, "Neil, Neil!"

That's okay, everytime I see your avatar it reminds me of something I flushed 3 days ago.

Neil

Fosters, is Australian for Neil crossdresses as WonderWoman, and Tharps avatar looks like poop.

LOL