Solo: A Star Wars Story (Ron Howard 2018)

Jay

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Also "The Last Jedi controversy" - is it really that dramatic?

As far as I can tell, the fanboys aren't happy. And the movie isn't perfect.

Put together, there's plenty of stuff for people to complain about.

Shame really; there's a lot to like about it, I reckon.

I'm not sure if it's just fanboys because I've spoken to many casual moviegoers in regards to TLJ and most haven't been impressed but a few enjoyed it.  Regardless, if it makes plenty of money, then that's good enough for Disney I imagine.

On 12/27/2017 at 1:05 AM, TheUlyssesian said:

The only confounding thing is about Alden E. From whatever I have seen him in, he's a terrific actor. So I find it hard to believe the reports that he cannot act and needs coaching to do every scene.

Dialogue coaches don't seem too uncommon. Disney obviously want him to sound like Ford, and went for him based on looks alone. 

If this film does crash and burn, will anyone mourn it?

I expect a competent film with a good score.

I would take this "information" with a grain of salt though. No matter where it's from, it's still all heresay based off alleged sources. Come May of next year will probably know how well-received Solo actually is. I for one am not coming into the film with the lowest of expectations, or expecting it to bomb. For all we know, given the production issues, it could turn out to be fine. 

That's probably real, because Lucasfilm has asked sites to take it down.  "The girl" has a name!  Her name is Danaerys Targaryen!

I know that the marketing heft had to go to TLJ, and that the push for Solo will come full force in the new year, but it's kind of bonkers to me that the average moviegoer has no idea that there will be another new Star Wars movie in five months.  A few coworkers asked me what was coming next, and I told them - they had no idea that there even WAS a Han Solo movie, nor that a Star War was happening in May.

This is the first time we'll have a Star Wars film 6 months after another one so it'll be interesting from a marketing perspective.  Then the next one (Episode 9) won't be until 1.5 years later in December 2019.  Any possibility they'll delay this until December 2018?  I guess they would have delayed it by now if they were going to.

I absolutely loathe the first film. I hate everything about it. The way it looks, the way it sounds, the characters, the actors, the songs, oh my God I can’t deacribe how much I hate the songs... and Dick Van Dyke’s accent. Just Dick Van Dyke in general. 

I’d love to go back in time and stop the author from ever publishing the book in the first place. 

18 minutes ago, someonefun124 said:

This is the first time we'll have a Star Wars film 6 months after another one so it'll be interesting from a marketing perspective.  Then the next one (Episode 9) won't be until 1.5 years later in December 2019.  Any possibility they'll delay this until December 2018?  I guess they would have delayed it by now if they were going to.

I've seen some leaked print marketing (no spoilers for any actual movie, except for Revenge of the Sith) that has the release date on it.  So I think it's set in stone.

lego_soloreleasedate.jpeg

Marvel has been overlapping its marketing campaigns (for instance, theaters are running both Black Panther and Avengers 3 trailers including kick-ass moments with Black Panther characters we haven't seen yet).  I'm glad that Star Wars didn't do this.  The wait from May 2018 to December 2019 is going to be torture for me, though.

6 hours ago, Arpy said:

Dialogue coaches don't seem too uncommon. Disney obviously want him to sound like Ford, and went for him based on looks alone. 

Well there was a massive massive hunt for the Solo actor with literally hundreds of auditions. So clearly Alden was tested well before getting the role. So they would know his acting ability because they had him audition many times.

11 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

I absolutely loathe the first film. I hate everything about it. The way it looks, the way it sounds, the characters, the actors, the songs, oh my God I can’t deacribe how much I hate the songs... and Dick Van Dyke’s accent. Just Dick Van Dyke in general. 

I’d love to go back in time and stop the author from ever publishing the book in the first place. 

I really like the songs!  I don't think I've ever seen the movie, at least not at an age where I can remember even the basics of it.  I remember more about its spiritual sibling, Bedknobs and Broomsticks.

40 minutes ago, mstrox said:

the push for Solo will come full force in the new year, but it's kind of bonkers to me that the average moviegoer has no idea that there will be another new Star Wars movie in five months.  A few coworkers asked me what was coming next, and I told them - they had no idea that there even WAS a Han Solo movie, nor that a Star War was happening in May.

I think we absolutely would have had a trailer by now but that fact that Howard basically re-shot the whole film makes a trailer challenging to put together.

I am surprised they didn't change the release date after firing the original directors.

1 minute ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Well there was a massive massive hunt for the Solo actor with literally hundreds of auditions. So clearly Alden was tested well before getting the role. So they would know his acting ability because they had him audition many times.

He's worked with a handful of great directors and has gotten nominations for some pretty major awards for multiple roles.  So there's no question in my mind that the guy CAN act.  Now, was he giving the directors/producers what they wanted on this specific film?  If the reports are true, maybe not.

I have fairly low hopes for Solo based solely on what it's about, but the one saving grace is that regardless of the fact that 2/3 of the new Star Wars movies so far have been "troubled" productions (TFA to some extent, and Rogue One), all three have been a ton of fun.  I trust Howard and Kennedy to release a movie that is, at its very least, good - despite the lack of promise in the premise.

2 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

I think we absolutely would have had a trailer by now but that fact that Howard basically re-shot the whole film makes a trailer challenging to put together.

I am surprised they didn't change the release date after firing the original directors.

I think the fact that LFL switched directors mid-shoot in order to keep the gears greased and running (as opposed to later reshoots) was intentional to keep the release date.  They're dead set on May for this one, for whatever reason.

Tons of movies have quick turnaround after filming - but a Star Wars movie has extensive post-production.  My biggest worry is that the effects will suffer as a result of the timetable.

16 hours ago, Arpy said:

9 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Alden looks nothing like Ford.
Don't forget that Alden was Phil Lord and Chris Miller's choice. In fact, PL&CM have publicly stated that they tested Alden first, and had already decided they liked him the best, prior to testing any of the other 3,000 actors.
Don't get me wrong, I think Alden, as a professional actor, has the ability to act like Han, but there are plenty of other actors that naturally look and sound more like Harrison/Han than Alden does.

After the disappointment of The Last Jedi for me, I'm hoping this will be a fun romp at least, with some cool callbacks to the pre-ANH era. I'm interested to hear what John Powell does with the score, hope he knocks it for a six.

3 hours ago, Philippe Roaché said:

Years ago, people trashed the titles of Episodes I and II, but Solo: A Star Wars Story is easily one of the worst titles for a movie I'll ever hear.

How so? It fits the pattern set by Rogue One. What would you sooner see it called?

45 minutes ago, Scintillating_CA said:

How so? It fits the pattern set by Rogue One. What would you sooner see it called?

I think an Indiana Jonesish title would have fit here..."Han Solo and the Kessel Run" or  "Han Solo and the Corellian Gambit" or "Han Solo and the Chewing Mynocks".  Anything but "Solo". At least they didn't put "Origins" in front of it.

I dunno. That kind of title implies to me that we’re in for a series of adventures (of which this is but one), and this movie is just a one-off, right? And by dropping Han from the title, there’s just a hint of insider-ness projected alongside the two-syllable pithiness.

• 2 weeks later...

It's more the front mandibleS I have a problem with. Colour is no problem, maybe the previous owner actually took care of it, and as Han banged it up, he just replaced hull pieces with random colour ones.

1 minute ago, Holko said:

It's more the front mandibles I have a problem with.

Indeed, that's quite peculiar. It's the Falcon, but not the Falcon.

I assume this will finally show how it was a "hunk of junk" in the original trilogy.

I never saw it looking particularly junk-y, because I never saw the Falcon looking anything else.

So on that account, it makes sense they'd try a different approach.

Will take some getting used to though.

It looked the same in Episode III as it did in the old ones.

They should just leave the classic spaceship designs alone. In my opinion, they tend to fuck them up these days. For instance, the Enterprise in the Abrams movies with those atrocious nacelles. I didn't even like the replacement radar dish on the Falcon in TFA. Ugly.

So now we're retconning the stock YT-1300? It looked the same in the prequels. Maybe this new design is just the previous owner's modifications? No, that's stupid.

They'll probably break the front in the Kessel run, then replace it with the stock mandibles. Maybe a nod to  blatant ripoff of Kevin J. Anderson's books when Han crashes the Falcon when he goes back to Kessel and it's basically broken in half?

On 11/01/2018 at 9:50 PM, Philippe Roaché said:

It looked the same in Episode III as it did in the old ones.

Fair point; that's a bit odd.

I suppose the Episode III appearance was more an Easter Egg though than a well-thought-out part of the story.

Still odd though.

Maybe "Solo" is set BEFORE Episode III? Or partly overlapping?

I conclude that even though we see a ship that looks like the Millennium Falcon dock in Ep 3, and the only YT-1300 we've ever seen in the movies is the Millennium Falcon, the ship docking there does not need to be the Millennium Falcon. Not until a Canon (not Legends EU) book tells us that it is. And it would not happen if they wanted to plan ahead to putting a pointy nose cone between the forward mandibles in an upcoming spinoff story. It's just a reused model reused for an Easter egg, which gave someone extra time to work on something original. 

(The video games, particularly the TIE Fighter series, include several YT-1300 freighters that aren't the Falcon.)

Remember, Han said he made a lot of custom modifications himself, but we never see what they are. In this movie, we might see them.

It will be curious whether the nose cone will be there when Lando owns the ship, because Lando sees it land at Bespin without commenting. Perhaps the nose cone is an unseen accessory for that class of ship for special purposes, or Lando simply recognized the callsign and pilot on the landing request before walking to the platform. (OK, it's because George did not use the concept art nose cone back in preproduction on the first movie or intend it to become a plot point in spinoff future prequels.) 

Han's not that old, did he make the Kessel Run when he was what, 12? 

Although technically in Star Wars he just says it's the SHIP that made the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs, not explicitly him...

Still, changing the stock design of the YT-1300, one of the most recognized spaceship designs is cinema history, just really doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

But since it's Kessel Run Millenium Falcon, maybe it's just a temporary modification to allow it to make bigger hyperspace jumps more quickly?

wow so han was and imperial cadet, nice to see some EU made canon.

Well it makes sense the Falcon was modified after Han got it...but the freighter all had the open mouth designs...i would have opted to only made modifications in the radar, turrets and other minior things...but well if they dont have harrison ford...a modified falcon is not that big a problem...

5 hours ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Fair point; that's a bit odd.

I suppose the Episode III appearance was more an Easter Egg though than a well-thought-out part of the story.

Still odd though.

Maybe "Solo" is set BEFORE Episode III? Or partly overlapping?

I’m pretty sure the ship we saw in the prequels was not the Falcon but just a YT-1300 model. I think Lucas may have mentioned that as well.

But as we know, Lucas changed canon throughout the prequels as well. New movies come along and change things, happens all the time. 

Risn Johnson changed Kylo Ren’s wound after one film.

Here's the movie synopsis, from Disney's 2018 media kit:  http://clubjade.net/something-solo-a-synopsis/

Spoiler

Board the Millennium Falcon and journey to a galaxy far, far away in Solo: A Star Wars Story, an all-new adventure with the most beloved scoundrel in the galaxy. Through a series of daring escapades deep within a dark and dangerous criminal underworld, Han Solo meets his mighty future copilot Chewbacca and encounters the notorious gambler Lando Calrissian, in a journey that will set the course of one of the Star Wars saga’s most unlikely heroes.

That was my thought, too.  Not sure why,  but seemed right.

Since we know for sure that we're going to see it in canon, my personal hope, and one that a lot of other people (especially longtime EU fans) would disagree with:

Spoiler

I hope that Chewie doesn't owe Han a life debt.  I think their dynamic works better if they have a deep friendship, and especially the emotional moments in ESB and TFA.  Not that they don't have a friendship anyway, but still.

According to Wookieepedia, that's already been canon-confirmed, though.  So phooey!