Solo: A Star Wars Story (Ron Howard 2018)

Jay

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Did nobody besides me get Joey's joke?

Wow.

The joke would have worked better for many of us, I suspect, if JoeinAR left it after that first sentence. Continuing on in a very earnest-sounding way with three distinct thoughts in two sentences, it’s totally possible that people would take the whole comment seriously. No need for that judgy “wow”.

What? He didn't flow up a joke with a serious thought. The entire post is sarcastic. Read it again. He's saying OF COURSE a prequel will show the Kessel Run, etc. 

Here's Filmfreakcentral's expected trashing: http://www.filmfreakcentral.net/ffc/2018/05/solo.html

And while i don't place race and equality issues that high on my agenda, some of the points Chaw cites beyond seem to confirm the worst fears - prequel-bad - though i'm in only for the score, anyway.

On 5/17/2018 at 7:13 AM, publicist said:

Here's Filmfreakcentral's expected trashing: http://www.filmfreakcentral.net/ffc/2018/05/solo.html

And while i don't place race and equality issues that high on my agenda, some of the points Chaw cites beyond seem to confirm the worst fears - prequel-bad - though i'm in only for the score, anyway.

Hmm. I like this Walter Chaw fellow.

I don't really care, i just find the critical examination interesting, often more so than the movie(s) it's about. Truth to be told, my last SW exposure in December is more than enough for the next 2 year period when Part IX hits.

Yes, but it's a lone voice in the wilderness. I'm not necessarily agreeing with all he says but i find him one of the few writers who makes good on the promise of the critics popular in the 70's.

Nice!  Can't wait to see it, and REALLY can't wait to hear the album.

If you want to read more about your spoiler item, it is being discussed here:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/28528-spoiler-talk-solo-a-star-wars-story/

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I was hoping to see it Thursday night, but my small town theater is only doing one showing and it's 3D so nope.  I'll probably see it Sunday.

Huh, I actually don’t know what format I’m seeing it in tomorrow night. I just found out that I got two tickets to the Irish premiere. The Rogue One one was 3D so this will probably be the same.

I’m also seeing it at midnight but that’ll be imax 3D. Any subsequent viewings will be 2D.

I’ve never seen a movie at midnight having just seen it so it’ll be an interesting experience. 

Only done midnight for TFA and TLJ and I enjoyed both of those. Saw them both 4 times in 24 hours...

I did see a TFA and TLJ double feature though. That was cool!

Just now, Bilbo said:

Saw them both 4 times in 24 hours...

That's too much!  Gives me a headache just thinking about it.

I did go back and see ROTS the following friday afternoon and stayed awake for the whole thing.

I saw TLJ a second time like 2 weeks later, and that was too much for me.  I rewatched it since on Blu-ray (well, streaming from my Blu-ray), but it was with the score only track.  For me to really enjoy a movie, I need time to forget it.

I rewatched E.T. for the first time in like 10-12 years over the summer, and that was just about right.

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

I saw TLJ a second time like 2 weeks later, and that was too much for me. 

Same. I finally get TLJ on rent today, so it will be the first time since December, third time overall. 

You may ask, "why didn't Jerry buy it?", to which the answer is I'm getting the probably eventual boxset after IX.

On 5/18/2018 at 11:13 AM, Demodex said:

For those of you that don't think it will be any good, why do you think that?  It looks fun to me. 

I actually think the trailers look perfectly fine. I expect the movie to be bad because I've seen Rogue One and TLJ and it's clear I don't at all like the Kathleen Kennedy vision for the franchise. Whether I'll still manage to have any fun watching it in spite of any faults I've no idea. I did enjoy parts of Rogue One.

Its a movie I don't need (in terms of the franchise), its a production that hasn't been reassuring for me as an audience member, and I'm not enamored with the premise (Join Han Solo on an unspecified adventure) or the genre (heist film).

I'm not going to see it.

2 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Its a movie I don't need (in terms of the franchise), its a production that hasn't been reassuring for me as an audience member, and I'm not enamored with the premise (Join Han Solo on an unspecified adventure) or the genre (heist film).

I'm not going to see it.

Too bad. You're missing out on one of the best films in the franchise.

The shot was still directed by Howard - Lucas gave the actor and Ron Howard a character bit and they ran with it.

Spoiler

http://variety.com/2018/film/features/solo-a-star-wars-story-directors-reshoots-ron-howard-1202817841/

The hand of George Lucas, too, happens to be present in the film, in a romantically charged scene between Ehrenreich and Clarke staged in Lando’s cape closet. There was a beat when Han takes Qi’ra’s cloak, hangs it up and moves on to his next bit of business. But Lucas had a note, if he could be so bold.

“He said, ‘You know, Han wouldn’t bother to hang it up,’” Howard says. “And then he sort of did it. George became Han Solo for a second. The body language was there and the attitude. Not only was it a nice accent on the scene, but it was also a reminder that George created this character and really understood him. He was so reluctant [to offer his opinion], and yet the choice was so right that it was fun to use it.” (Neither Lucas nor Ford was made available for comment.)

Chen - let me know what you think of the movie then!

The movie was released today in France. I just saw it. I won't say anything else. NO SPOILER here.

About the music, the movie is mixed so loud on the sound effects that it's hard, very hard, to hear the music, except for few scenes. For example, scenes where the love theme, very Korngoldian, can be heard -- and the opening scene, with the probable first exposition of what John Williams wrote for "The Adventures of Han". I can't wait to be able to listen to the CD. I was waiting for more reprises from the material Williams wrote over the years but there are just smart quotes, at the right moments (I can't say more now).

I would say it's a more modern SW score, but still in the codes of the saga, musicaly speaking.

John Powell has done a superb job, tipping his hat to Williams' work, bringing his own signature in terrific ways (of the Force). :)

And yes, the movie is good!

2 hours ago, mstrox said:

Chen - let me know what you think of the movie then!

I can usually tell from marketing when a movie is just not going to be to my liking, so why bother?

Now with Solo, previously with Ready Player One. 

1 hour ago, EhTar said:

The movie was released today in France. I just saw it. I won't say anything else. NO SPOILER here.

About the music, the movie is mixed so loud on the sound effects that it's hard, very hard, to hear the music, except for few scenes. For example, scenes where the love theme, very Korngoldian, can be heard -- and the opening scene, with the probable first exposition of what John Williams wrote for "The Adventures of Han". I can't wait to be able to listen to the CD. I was waiting for more reprises from the material Williams wrote over the years but there are just smart quotes, at the right moments (I can't say more now).

I would say it's a more modern SW score, but still in the codes of the saga, musicaly speaking.

John Powell has done a superb job, tipping his hat to Williams' work, bringing his own signature in terrific ways (of the Force). :)

And yes, the movie is good!

I read that somewhere already :o

5 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Don't worry, he is!

I hope so! I don't know who else I would debate with on this movie using film school critical analysis!

(;) no hard feelings Chen)

8 hours ago, Chen G. said:

I'm not going to see it.

You're going to see it, and you're going to like it, if it's the last thing you do. God help us all!

That's the thing, Chen. Scars heal.

"No, they don't. Wounds heal!"

Oh, yeah. What do scars do, they fade, I guess?

"I don't care what scars do!"

Well, you should, Chen. You gotta let go of that stuff from the past 'cause it just doesn't matter. All that matters is what you choose to be now.

On 5/16/2018 at 6:04 PM, Arpy said:

Not sure if they'll survive? They're in the OT!

Still I'm expecting to be as entertained with this film as much as I was with Rogue One. The takeaway from R1 was the impressive CGI which is an example where I think it wasn't used excessively enough to notice it. The takeaway I'm expecting from Solo is the music :D

Seriously are you impaired? Its always a mistake in a prequel to set the protagonist in a situation where his life is in peril. Apparent for the moronic filmmakers involved, both those fired and hired, the audiences may be too stupid to notice. 

Rogue One was pretty awful as well.