Solo: A Star Wars Story (Ron Howard 2018)

Jay

3 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Because it has the magic lasers flying out of the little wizard’s wand, proving once and for all that Rowling’s a THIEF.

I don't think Rowling ever claimed to be the one to invent wizards... :lol:

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I don't think Rowling ever claimed to be the one to invent wizards... :lol:

It’s the laser wands she stole!

And don’t get me started on George Martin stealing the loveable imp.

Willow may very well be the most influential fantasy film of all time.

Um, no. That was a light sabre. And George Lucas is allowed to steal from himself.

And what’s that tree outside Hogwarts? A whomping WILLOW.

giphy.gif

Saw the film yesterday. It was fun alright but not extremely fun or truly interesting. Nice that some lore from the old expanded universe was made canon. the different actor would have worked better if han was below 18 years of age but well. Would have preffered a better look alike but in the end it doesnt matter that much. The score i did not like very much, the Williams theme is nice but i think these spin off movies are going to ruin the musical integrity of the saga... as new themes are being written fir characters that do not have themes in the main saga...and themes assoiciated with some tings are being reused for other things/characters. Why is williams now so trigger happy (or let others) with the star wars main theme (luke's) and he barely used it the prequels...and does not use it for Luke in TLJ... 

While i didnt like the score that much (a little RCPish for my tastes, but not that much thankfully), i dont mind different composers tacking the spin off films and doing their own thing ( i can see williams preferring that over having someone copying his style but i dont really believe he was upset with giacchino's work). But i prefer what giacchino did for rogue one trying to retain the same musical. Sad Williams did not thought to write a theme for him and sanction the re-use of OT music in the film. Rogue one needed a lot more of rebel fanfare (i dont know why is was not used more really) and imperial march. But giacchino went the logical way of not using the later for the empire per se, because it does not appear that way in a new hope...and then later in everywhere else every other composer ends using it even as the "real" hymn of the empire.....

14 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

But i prefer what giacchino did for rogue one trying to retain the same musical.

Clearly, this is not what Williams wants. The classic symphonic sounds is reserved for the main saga films. Otherwise, you'd bury them under the weight of  cheap imitations like in the past 20 years. None of these were much good anyway.

Karol

1 minute ago, Luke Skywalker said:

and when williams retires from the saga, he will want the classical sound to continue or not?

In the main saga films, sure.

Karol

I hope he is secretly training Bill Ross to take on the saga because non Williamsy saga scores would be really weird.

i found it a little ironic that SOLO had a title crawls in the end...but not the classic one. Its weird. I would have either narrated it or put just one paragraph. the three paragraphs with capitol key words... i mean just do the cool title crawl (like all the videogames prior to disney) or dont do it.

Saw the film last night. 

I thought it was pretty good! It’s by no means a perfect or particularly inventive movie - at times it felt somewhat “flat” and dragged a bit at times - but I thought it had a lot of heart and the major action setpieces were very fun. Great performances all around. Aldenreich makes the role of Han his own, and Glover is a superb Lando. 

Fout out of five golden dice from me. 

I saw the movie yesterday and I liked it. 

A few brief points are

- a lot of the scenes are dark and dusty and hard to see, especially at the beginning of the film and the middle

- the supporting cast all have great moments, but they are all underused. I feel like Han was just "there" for a lot of the movie because characters like Val, Rio Durant, L3, Lando, Dryden Vos, and the super cool Enfys Nest stole the show. That's not to say that Han and Chewie aren't great because they are.

- like TLJ, the movie has humor where it normally wouldn't belong, but it's completely okay in Solo because it doesn't need to be serious or as high stakes important as TLJ. There were and older couple in the row a few seats down and they seemed to love it, based on the laughs I heard.

- the opening text is putrid formatting and decision making. It's three paragraphs that would've done lovely in the typical crawl, but they are in the blue writing for "A long time ago..." Then there is the Solo logo, which pops up and looks very digital, but that's about a minute later.

- there are some neat twists and turns, and the fan-service and smart callbacks are all over the place. A lot of explanations occur that I really cared less about knowing, but I suppose that is what Solo is about.

- the score is quite great in the film, even though some sound effects got in the way. I heard it and it enhanced the movie, especially things like the theme, the love theme, the gang theme, etc.

- expect a Solo 2 which, based on how this one went, will probably be more about simply the other adventures than about how Han got this and how Han did that. For a sequel, Han's storyline will be quite easy to continue, but the rest of the group could get interesting.

- initially coming out of the theatre it felt quick and rushed

- it's action, action, bit of planning, action,action,action. It's full of action, so for those who were wondering about the OST being really action-packed all around, there's no way for it not to be. It is what it is.

- Han doesn't fell like the cynical scoundrel from Star Wars, but he certainly had experiences that start to grow that personality. We just don't really see it in this film. 

- favorite characters: Dryden Vos is excellent, Rio Durant is fun, Lando is Donald Glover but I swear I was watching a young Billy Dee. He's perfect. Val is interesting, but underused. Beckett is neat. Qi'ra is okay. Chewie and Han are excellent together, but apart it doesn't feel right. L3 is a rebellious droid who will say anything that comes into her circuits. 

That's that.

Just got back. It's meh. Not bad, but nothing great either. Currently the score is the only standout I can think of, and that's mostly because I listened to it many times beforehand. 

All the action got really overwhelming, then I got really annoyed at the

Spoiler

everyone backstabs each other multiple times

stuff at the end.

The only part I really laughed at was the Teräs Käsi reference.

What I kind of liked was Enfys Nest, and the early Corellia and war segments - I always lamented that we never really got to see what everyday life was like under the Empire (apart from the bastards closing Bea Arthur's cantina), which would show us why the Rebels are doing what they're doing.

Overall, it had the charm, looks and emotional level of the Jedha skirmish crossed with Baze and Bodhi's deaths.

If this is what Star Wars Stories are going to be like, I don't want Disney churning them out every two years, I may even stop going to them.

1 hour ago, Holko said:

Teräs Käsi reference.

Wait, they reference that bad Star Wars video game from the 90's?

From a lot of what you guys say, it sounds like Lawrence Kasdan lost his mojo. :(

Screenwriting isn't the most consistent line of work. Sometimes you nail it, sometimes - not quite.

8 hours ago, Margo Channing said:

But Apollo 13 didn't win Best Picture...

Well, it was up against one of the Best of Best Pictures, so not a fair fight...;)

My one complaint is that the music is hard to hear and I didn't even notice any new themes. 

I listened to the soundtrack afterwards and thought it would have been nice if I could have heard more of the old music in the film. 

8 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

Wait, they reference that bad Star Wars video game from the 90's?

From a lot of what you guys say, it sounds like Lawrence Kasdan lost his mojo. :(

Aw man, we played the shit out of that game! Loved the reference!

No, I think the script was rock solid. None of my complaints really have anything to do with the script.

Ooh, I also loved Chewie and the other Wookies. Hard not to with that theme statement in "Break Out".

Spoiler

Thank goodnes they didn't do that whole Life Debt thing and Chewie and Han are just friends and partners who grew to like and trust each other.

The prequels at least had a story I was invested in, an overall arc that was really cool, even if the details were often inconsistent, awkward, and sometimes just bad.  Solo has a crap script, but without the benefit of being part of a larger story I like (rebels vs. empire or jedi vs. sith or whatever).

6 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Sorry guys, I thought that movie kinda stunk.  My new least favorite Star Wars movie.

5 minutes ago, John said:

Even below the prequels? I can't even...

Solo is better than the prequels. In terms of the others...

1. The Force Awakens

Yes, I have finally settled down over The Last Jedi. TFA is nothing new, but its great.

2. The Last Jedi

Yeah, here is good.

3. Rogue One

It's an interesting story that came out of nowhere for me. I saw it was SW and I went. So in that sense, I think it was very good, but nothing like the others.

4. Solo

It's a lot of fun. The only reason it isn't higher is because these are all pretty good. 

Oh it's far, far, far, far, far, far below the other Disney era movies for me.  The new saga films thus far have had huge, passionate, creative hearts at their center.  Rogue One had such a solid central concept, they just had not to mess it up too bad to stick the landing.  Solo seems so...pointless and seemed like shoddy patchwork of a story.  I mean.... almost every choice struck me as wrong.  It wasn't even a good heist movie, let along a good Star War.

But even if the story was stronger, I think my main lesson out of this is that Han Solo doesn't work as a main character.

Solo is miles above Rogue One. You get likeable and developed characters, a great score, and a mostly fun atmosphere. You get none of that in Rogue One. The characters were all pretty much cardboard cutouts who didn't progress at all throughout the movie, whose motivations and backgrounds are not clearly explained outside of simple tidbits of exposition and dialogue, and who didn't even seem to have much of a bond with each other or care at all about their own lives. To me, the hollow characters in Rogue One made it feel far less of a Star Wars film than Solo

In retrospect, the only characters I like are Chewy

Spoiler

and Enfys. I kinda liked Beckett until he became one of the backstabbers at the end when everyone backstabbed everyone.

Lando was a bit of a dick but with good reason and it's consistent with him in Empire, Han was a bit too bland.

Though I can totally see myself liking the movie more after I had time to sit on it and will know exactly what to expect.

I wanted to like it, but it was a case where at least an hour of the flick was dreadfully dull and I literally fell asleep.

Young Han actor eventually kinda slipped into the role. There's some good stuff in there, to be sure. The ingredients were there for a good flick aside from the God awful alien designs, but it just doesn't come together.

As for this movie bombing, I’m convinced that Memorial Day weekend is cursed.  Ever since the tentpole movie season moved up to early May (and now late April) almost every movie that comes out Memorial Day bombs.  It’s like the rhythm of summer movie season or something.  Tomorrowland, Pirates 5, X-men Apocalypse, MIB3, Terminator Salvation.  All bombs or underperformers

7 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Tomorrowland, Pirates 5, X-men Apocalypse, MIB3

Were any of these movies any good?  That might have more to do with it than Memorial Day Weekend being cursed.

6 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

As for this movie bombing, I’m convinced that Memorial Day weekend is cursed.  Ever since the tentpole movie season moved up to early May (and now late April) almost every movie that comes out Memorial Day bombs.  It’s like the rhythm of summer movie season or something.  Tomorrowland, Pirates 5, X-men Apocalypse, MIB3, Terminator Salvation.  All bombs or underperformers

Yeah but none of those movies are particularly good either (to be fair, other than Tomorrowland, none of them are awful).  I've yet to see SOLO.

It 'tis too bad about the box office on this one.  I always want to see Star Wars films do well (I haven't actively rooted against a movie doing well since Star Trek Beyond).

I think they should have just stuck to the December release schedule...there's no SW movie slotted for the 2018 holiday season, and the change to Ron "Salieri" Howard gave them a perfect excuse to push the date back. I haven't looked at the schedule...perhaps Disney already has a December pic they didn't want SW competing with?

Nick, it is my opinion that summer has become over saturated as a film season and doesn't feel special anymore. I think December is the new summer. I agree Star Wars should stick to the holiday release in the future. 

I know perception is everything in Hollywood/the media but there's something seriously wrong when a movie taking in 150Mio $ over four days is considered a dismal flop. It's just that...perception.

55 minutes ago, publicist said:

I know perception is everything in Hollywood/the media but there's something seriously wrong when a movie taking in 150Mio $ over four days is considered a dismal flop. It's just that...perception.

Not a flop but with all the behind the scenes drama it probably cost 300 million to make. And same again in marketing. They might struggle to turn a profit this time. Plus you're talking about worldwide gross, not domestic.

Karol

Yeah, after 4 days. And i rather doubt 600 Mio is what they spent on this, i mean yeah, budgets have ballooned but not quite to that extent.

Consider that Disney's main goal at the moment would be to at least make back what it cost to buy the Star Wars license for billions, let alone make a profit. And what an insane amount goes into marketing these films. Mabe that's why Solo's campaign was more tame?

They could possibly take much bigger risks and explore more interesting territory after they've already turned a profit on that big investment. 

Also, could the reason for barely any material between Jedi and TFA be that they didn't want to restrict the future writers and directors of Episodes VIII and IX in their creative vision by what some random writer they hired thought up? That was kind of a big reason in getting rid of the old canon, too. After IX, I think we'll get much more to fill the gap in.

1 minute ago, Margo Channing said:

The Martians can conquer the Earth in six days.

Not to say that God would have been able to make a new Earth in the same amount of time (if he existed, that is).

4 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Not to say that God would have been able to make a new Earth in the same amount of time (if he existed, that is).

It's dead... We were all praying for a miracle.