Solo: A Star Wars Story (Ron Howard 2018)

Jay

Now I realise the movie will be even worse on a home rewatch, since by then I'll know every note of the OST (yes, I love it that much), and combined with my then-hazy memory of the movie, I will involuntarily but inevitably make it up in my head to be much better while listening.

4 hours ago, Chen G. said:

But that's not the point of a prequel, now is it?

Isn’t it? A “prequel” is a “sequel” set in a prior time period… But it’s still just a sort of sequel.

You're right, it does. Something like Temple of Doom is a sequel, but diegetically its a prequel. But that kind of thing can happen because of the episodic nature of the series.

Here, certainly with the actual episodes, the authorial intent is that you'll watch them in their narrative order. I always appreciate it when prequels can make that work.

True.

If a new audience were to watch the episodes in their narrative order, Episode III would take away the twists of both Episodes V and VI.

Another thing is that Return of the Jedi isn't a very satisfying conclusion even for just the two films that immediately precede it, much less by five films or, now, seven!

Authorial intent changed, and changed, and changed again.

The 1977 movie obviously started in medias res for no other reason than George Lucas likes the idea of starting movies in medias res.

Another good example is Raiders, where the whole cold open is meant to make you feel like you’re tuning in to an episode in the middle of a serial—and you just didn’t happen to see last week’s episode. And last week’s episode would have had twists and turns and adventures with Jock ending up in Peru (it’s not been Temple of Doom).

Well, that’s where Rogue One feels more like a proper Ep.3, because it lands you right at the beginning of Ep.4. Of course, I say more like a proper Ep.3, but a really proper Ep.3 would have involved the same characters as Ep.4 a bit more. The first three chapters of the SW Radio Drama accomplish this brilliantly.

6 minutes ago, Indianagirl said:

thought Alden did as well as could possibly be hoped for. 

That's fine, but how's the actual story?

10 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Performance is so over-rated.

How's the story?

The story is good. The film is basically a character piece. Well....as much of a character piece as a Star Wars film could be. The story is light and fun and fits snuggly inside the canon. The film fleshes out and spells out Han's character further. It's a good time at the movies.  

I think I personally preferred Rogue One but that's subjective. I really enjoyed Solo especially the ending and I don't mean the cameo. 

36 minutes ago, Batman's Diet Coke said:

- Han being driven by a woman and ultimately betrayed by her

Did she betray him? Or was her final act one of protection because she loved him? We now know who she is really working for. That character doesn't know Han exists. I think she loved Han. I think she let him go to save him from life she couldn't get out of.  That was my take anyway. 

14 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Dryden Vos is the best!!!

Meh, I felt Paul Bettany was a bit wasted in this. His Scarface character was cool and all, but I wish he had survived the film instead of being revealed as an underling of a bigger baddie.

10 hours ago, Indianagirl said:

Did she betray him? Or was her final act one of protection because she loved him? We now know who she is really working for. That character doesn't know Han exists. I think she loved Han. I think she let him go to save him from life she couldn't get out of.  That was my take anyway. 

Well yes. But Qi'ra had gotten too caught up in Crimson Dawn after she was separated from Han. She loved him, but she was in this life for good, so she had to keep going with it and not get Han involved because she loved him, even if it costs them their relationship. 

Dryden Vos was the best!

Spoiler

Should have kept him kicking for a sequel, but the door is open for Jabba, Boba Fett, and now Maul to be the main villain.

2 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I think Bettany was good.  I would have loved to see Michael K. Williams' original version.

https://heroichollywood.com/star-wars-concept-dryden-vos/

I would agree if it was a Michael K. Williams on-camera performance with make-up.  The idea of that character as mocap CGI with some weird alien design doesn't excite me at all.

Although many talented actors have appeared in the latter-day “Star Wars” movies—Natalie Portman, Oscar Isaac, John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Ewan McGregor, and so on—none have seemed as present and vivid as Fisher and Ford in the original films. (For my money, only Felicity Jones, in "Rogue One" and Laura Dern, in "The Last Jedi" have come close.)

Both were weak, forgettable performances. Better than Ridley? Boyega? I don't think so. This guy's taste is questionable.

”Solo” is an entertaining movie[...]It’s also distressingly forgettable—it’s about nothing.

That's consistent with what I've been hearing, as well.

1 hour ago, John said:

Both were weak, forgettable performances. Better than Ridley? Boyega? I don't think so. This guy's taste is questionable.

True. Daisy Ridley caused something of a sensation in late 2015. And it wasn't because of the marketing. It just happened.

I fell head over heels for Space Dern, honestly.  I can acknowledge that the Poe-Space Dern arc could've used some finessing WHILE still also liking what it was going for in terms of Poe's development.  But viewed as a character in and of herself, Space Dern is fantastic.

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I fell head over heels for Space Dern, honestly.  I can acknowledge that the Poe-Space Dern arc could've used some finessing WHILE still also liking what it was going for in terms of Poe's development.  But viewed as a character in and of herself, Space Dern is fantastic.

I did like that whole arc. It showed that even the good guys have rifts in their alliance groups. There are many different personalities and personas clashing together in the forming of the Resistance. Poe is a trigger-happy flyboy. Holdo wanted to protect the light. It makes sense.

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

In origin stories, people almost never contain multitudes, and circumstances rarely leave room for choice; “Solo” discovers that the young Han is pretty much identical to the older one, with the same skills, mannerisms, and values. It would’ve been interesting to learn that Han was once a sensitive boy with a musical gift, or a talented athlete with prospects for the pros, or a genuinely flawed person in need of improvement. Instead, he turns out to have no hidden self and nothing to regret. Our understanding of him does not change.

I like this idea. Five Easy Pieces in space.

1 hour ago, Chen G. said:

That's consistent with what I've been hearing, as well.

Though of course criticism is subjective, I find memorability to be one of the most nebulous and unreliable criteria. It took me ten listens to be able to remember the main melody of Raiders March, does that mean anything about it?

Just now, kaseykockroach said:

Galactic Beauty Pageant: A Star Wars Story

Music by Patrick Doyle

If the score was anything like Entering the Great Hall, I'd watch the crap out of that.

23 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

True. Daisy Ridley caused something of a sensation in late 2015. And it wasn't because of the marketing. It just happened.

There is something very honest, sweet, and likeable about her.

39 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Though of course criticism is subjective, I find memorability to be one of the most nebulous and unreliable criteria.

Its not so much that its memorable or not - that's but the outcome of having a focused narrative; which, I am told, Solo hasn't.

1 hour ago, Chen G. said:

Its not so much that its memorable or not - that's but the outcome of having a focused narrative; which, I am told, Solo hasn't.

Why don’t you watch the movie for yourself, instead of basing your entire opinion of it based only on what you’ve heard from others?

I have an intellectual interest in film, but in terms of actually going to see films, I'm much more of a casual filmgoer: I only see a select couple of theatrical releases a year.