Solo: A Star Wars Story (Ron Howard 2018)

Jay

Since Han never had a solo theme (pun intended) that actually makes very good sense. Since that scene is all about the nostalgia of the moment.

Repurposing the Rebel fanfare for the Falcon makes sense too in that way. It never had a theme of it's own. But you can certainly see why it fits.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wow!

Both awesome for donglover, but meh that every prequel must find a way to bring in EVERY freaking character

Then again, it was clear in TESB Han & Lando had a history together, and Kasdan is writing so.... I have faith.

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

Wow!

Both awesome for donglover, but meh that every prequel must find a way to bring in EVERY freaking character

Then again, it was clear in TESB Han & Lando had a history together, and Kasdan is writing so.... I have faith.

Yeah, agree. I really enjoyed Han's writing in Force Awakens so I think Kasdan's still got these characters in him. There are bound to be a few missteps but overall I'm expecting a fun and witty screenplay, dialogue-wise if not story.

I'm very excited for this film. Because A) Lawrence Kasdan is writing it B) it started with a George Lucas treatment so some elements of that may make it into the final film and C) It's Han Solo! :lol: 

Gosh, Kasdan is really so good. Well, we don't know what in TFA was him and what was Abrams, but there were so many great pieces of dialogue in TFA ("Chewie, we're home" chief among them -- it captured fans' feelings even outside of the story itself (return to Star Wars), whether intentionally or not; so great). 

Disney paid $4billion to own Lucasfilm's properties.  They do, in fact, need to make these to get a return on that investment.

5 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

"Chewie, we're home" is great writing? It's fanservice, pure and simple!

Well, of course! Some pretty great fan service! (Of course, Ford's delivery is also important, it's not just the writing)

I think it's the best way those characters could have been introduced.

Fan service nonetheless. Here's an ancient pirate spaceship that's just sat as derelict junk on a desert planet for decades until two heroes bring the audience to it with a need for it to be in perfect condition for flight, weaponry, and hyperspace, eventually bringing it to its most legendary original owner. Fan service. 

9 hours ago, Jay said:

Disney paid $4billion to own Lucasfilm's properties.  They do, in fact, need to make these to get a return on that investment.

I get that.  The whole point of these films, from Disney's perspective, is to make a return on their investment for their shareholders.  

I just wish they did it by exploring other parts of this universe (alal Rogue One) rather than messing with young Han Solo. It's not like recasting Obi-Wan, who was old in the OT, so casting a younger actor made sense. But Solo is going to be just a few years younger than he was in Star Wars, and it will just be...weird.  Anyone doing that character other than Harrison Ford is just wrong.

Moreover, that kind of character is just a hard one to get right, and Harrison Ford just pulled it off brilliantly.  Lose Ford's charm and Solo can just look like a criminal. And actually in ROTJ they took him too far the other way where they emasculated him and he really wasn't recognisable from the character in the first two films.  So I guess we'll just see, but I'm just afraid it will be screwed up like young Anakin and the Clone Wars were.  Some things are just better left to the imagination (IMO).

9 hours ago, Will said:

Well, of course! Some pretty great fan service! (Of course, Ford's delivery is also important, it's not just the writing)

I think it's the best way those characters could have been introduced.

The only problem with that scene in the movie is that the timing is off by just a second from what it was in the trailer...Chewie's growl after the "we're home" line comes in just a beat too late in the film. It was perfect in the trailer.

On 10/22/2016 at 10:51 AM, petaQ said:

Fan service nonetheless. Here's an ancient pirate spaceship that's just sat as derelict junk on a desert planet for decades until two heroes bring the audience to it with a need for it to be in perfect condition for flight, weaponry, and hyperspace, eventually bringing it to its most legendary original owner. Fan service. 

Have you seen Mr. Plinkett's bit on that exact topic? If not, you should check it out, it's pretty great (as well as the whole review; I've watched some parts repeatedly):

(should start somewhere around here)

On 10/22/2016 at 10:50 AM, BloodBoal said:

Frankly, it's pretty on-the-nose writing (a big "wink, wink' to the fans). Nothing subtle about it, nor something unique only one writer (or a select few writers) could have come up with.

Perhaps. I'm no screenwriting expert. But sometimes the simplest things take the most effort. Either way, it's really the perfect line for that moment. 

On 10/22/2016 at 8:16 AM, Jay said:

Absolutely. 

Companies of course have to make money. That is essentially their one and only goal. As long as people buy something, companies will keep making it. 

Many JWFanners are always complaining about various films, but many of you watch them multiple times in cinema, buy the soundtracks, buy the Blu-rays, etc. 

Someone who didn't like Yates' first few Potter films but then still goes and sees the last couple (and hates them too) may as well be a huge fan of those films in the eyes of Warner Bros. 

Plenty of films are called unnecessary and whatever here and elsewhere, but everyone goes and sees them anyway. So Disney or whoever doesn't give a crap. The money keeps pouring in and they keep making more films. 

I'm honestly just grateful that I'm growing up in a time that's so fruitful for SW (and, thus, JW!). Could this one film a year thing get old eventually? Sure. But by then my youth will have ended and I probably won't be as excited about SW anymore. 

So many SW fans have grown up in times where there were no new SW films, I'm sure. I'm glad it happened at the right time for me. 

• 4 weeks later...

I like her well enough, but this is why I hate Internet rumors and casting call BS...  This was much more exciting, and it's apparently not happening.

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 6:17 PM, mrbellamy said:

I haven't seen this movie and probably never will, but watch this trailer to see her in a role completely different from those two

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been loving these December releases, but I do actually kind of want to see at least one May release. After all, otherwise every single SW film I've seen in theaters will have been in December! I wan't to see how it is at a different time of year. 

I wonder how this might affect the composer situation. 

Did they not start with one Marvel film each year? And now they're up to THREE Marvel films per year, apparently?

So what are the chances of the number of Star Wars films per year also increasing? So it won't just be one single December one anymore?

10 minutes ago, Will said:

I've been loving these December releases, but I do actually kind of want to see at least one May release. After all, otherwise every single SW film I've seen in theaters will have been in December! I wan't to see how it is at a different time of year.

It's the same, only the weather is better.

10 minutes ago, Will said:

I wonder how this might affect the composer situation. 

I'm sure it won't. I'm sure it was already planned to move it to December long ago (they probably already planned to do that from the moment TFA was moved to December) but they're just waiting to reveal the changed date.

Variety are reporting that Woody Harelson (sp?) is being eyed for the role of Han'd mentor. 

Yes, Jay, I am too lazy to post a link.

5 minutes ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

What does Han need a mentor for, exactly?

If he does get one, he'd better outsmart his mentor or something! :P

Han likely had a mentor when he was a junior Imperial officer. Assuming Legends canon gets adapted.