Star Wars IX The Rise of Skywalker (JJ Abrams 2019)

Jay

I like the sound of a production montage at D23. Maybe we'll get Williams music or footage from the sessions, given they probably have an hour of music already recorded.

30 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Maybe we'll get Williams music or footage from the sessions, given they probably have an hour of music already recorded.

Perhaps an exclusive sneak-peek performance of Leia's Dance!

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, Richard said:

...and to report in, if it's safe and legal, to do so. 

Actually...a fucking flying stormtrooper?

There's a health and safety lawsuit waiting to happen.

They have Jetpack Stormtroopers in Star Wars Rebels.

7 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Jet Trooper 1

Is that Mustafar in the background? And if so, is that shot from ROTS or TROS? Interesting... wouldn't be surprised to see that plan in TROS at all, especially if Kylo visits the ruins of Vader's castle or something (maybe connected to the plot with Palpatine?)

On 7/22/2019 at 7:01 AM, crumbs said:

A waltz is long overdue in the Star Wars musical lexicon! About damn time!

The Rebellion is Born is a Waltz. It's based on that same meter. 

16 minutes ago, Falstaft said:

Themes in triple meter (either simple or compound) are extremely rare in Star Wars; in fact, off the top of my head this may be the only major one!

I think the only other relevant one is Grievous from ROTS. That's in 6/8, with a strong "double 3/8" feel to it. There is some significant action stuff in 3/4, however, such as "Into the Trap" and the buildup of the Yavin Battle. Not really the kind of waltz that one would hear at the New Year's concert in Wien, but still... 

The short intro and the dark descending bridge are quadruple, the main theme is triple. “(1) Do-do-do (2) dooo (3) dooo, (1) Do-do-do (2) dooo (3) dooo” Three! Could probably waltz to it.

1 minute ago, mrbellamy said:

The short intro and the dark descending bridge are quadruple, the main theme is triple. “(1) Do-do-do (2) dooo (3) dooo, (1) Do-do-do (2) dooo (3) dooo” Three! Could probably waltz to it.

Right, that's actually the most waltzy of all!

9 minutes ago, Modest Expectations said:

Oh, I did not check beyond the beginning. My bad! Now I wonder why doesn't the intro match the theme. Is it because of a transition somewhere in the film?

I think it’s just Johnny being Johnny.

5 hours ago, Falstaft said:

Themes in triple meter (either simple or compound) are extremely rare in Star Wars; in fact, off the top of my head this may be the only major one!

Scherzo for X-wings!

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

But, like, in a fun way.  Pulpy.

I just don't like how the emperor looks, especially his eyes.

On 8/24/2019 at 6:30 PM, Bespin said:

Is that... a fake?

Nope. it got posted on the official Star Wars Twitter just after it got shown at D23 a few minutes ago.

Also some footage descriptions are out there:

Spoiler

-One scene has Rey wearing a black robe with a double-bladed red lightsaber.

-Kylo and Rey fighting on a rocky cliff what appears to be the edge of a Death Star trench

-A swarm of Star Destroyers in the sky.

14 minutes ago, Modest Expectations said:

Oh, I did not check beyond the beginning. My bad! Now I wonder why doesn't the intro match the theme. Is it because of a transition somewhere in the film?

It's probably just because it sounds cool.

Oh boy...

You know, I was really clinging to this idea that the Emperor's voice was something of a tease, and that the actual film will only have to do with the legacy of the emperor or a McGuffin of some sort that the emperor possessed.

But seeing his face on the poster makes me think otherwise, and I don't like it...

That poster is...unexpected. It's certainly strays from the collage designs we've gotten for the last two (The Last Jedi's being the best!), but I think it's kind of neat. Crazy to see such a big presence from the Emperor. I never thought we'd be seeing this. 

That sizzle reel drops publically on Monday.

44 minutes ago, Tom said:

I will believe it when I hear it, but the sizzle reel (or whatever they are calling it, which will be released on Monday) contains new JW music, according to some who saw it today.  

I hope so! Could just be uninformed people saying "Oh, it uses JW's themes so it is definitely JW," the kind of BS we get every time a teaser is released. But particularly given the timing it is certainly possible. Fingers crossed! :)