Star Wars IX The Rise of Skywalker (JJ Abrams 2019)

Jay

Actually, this is all just a bad dream. You're at home in bed, heavily sedated. Resting comfortably. Dying from the carcinogens you've personally spewed in a lifetime of profiteering. Tragic irony or poetic justice? You tell me.

1 hour ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Actually, this is all just a bad dream. You're at home in bed, heavily sedated. Resting comfortably. Dying from the carcinogens you've personally spewed in a lifetime of profiteering. Tragic irony or poetic justice? You tell me.

I was gonna post that! 

The poster does look off, if only because Palpatine looks like a cartoon version of himself. It's sloppy but only the teaser poster.

As for the footage seen at D23, it truly is reading like a bad fan fic, Rey's double ended red lightsaber, Palpatine narrating the duel between her and Kylo... sounds like video game faff...

On 5/22/2019 at 12:22 PM, mrbellamy said:

There was a pic of her from SW Celebration

nhgf9you5vr21.png

Looks like they just have her hanging out at the base

I can read lips. Rey is saying "Rose, don't touch anything...seriously!  I mean it, don't TOUCH ANYTHING!"

Palpatine does look a bit like a CGI render there, certainly not McDiarmid in make-up.

But I'm guessing Palpy spends the majority of the runtime as a CGI ghost-like spirit rather than a physical presence. No doubt until the very end when he takes physical form. Footage sounds cool though. Overall I like the poster though, it's just a teaser anyway. We'll still get the traditional floating heads one when the final trailer drops.

Agreed, I would've been surprised if that didn't happen in this film. JJ clearly set it up in TFA (plus the book-ending symmetry with film one in the chronology).

Reading a writeup, the 'sizzle reel' wasn't the same thing as the footage from the film - it was just a recap of 1-8. I'd bet we get that instead of the footage from TROS.

2 hours ago, Gistech said:

Reading a writeup, the 'sizzle reel' wasn't the same thing as the footage from the film - it was just a recap of 1-8. I'd bet we get that instead of the footage from TROS.

I heard that the sizzle reel started with footage from episodes 1-8, then went into the footage from 9. So it's the same video I presume. I guarantee they're not just going to have a recap on GMA. After all the hype, people would riot. Plus the movie's coming out in a few months, it's about time we get some new footage.

12 hours ago, Arpy said:

As for the footage seen at D23, it truly is reading like a bad fan fic, Rey's double ended red lightsaber, Palpatine narrating the duel between her and Kylo... sounds like video game faff...

Sounds like palpatine describing a possible future if Rey joins the dark side...

Didn’t Luke look cartoony as well on the TLJ poster? I don’t really get the problem. It’s not like he’s going to look like that in the movie.

I'm gonna take the wildest of guesses and say there's a sliver of a chance that this "epuc piano tinkle and big rumble trailer trash" music might not be Williams. I do really like how these all took to adapting bits and pieces of Rey's Theme all over.

A nice trailer (or whatever they are calling it).  Perhaps the Yoda's theme at the beginning was new Williams music, but the second half with Rey's was trailer-house stuff.  

I actually really like Rey's Theme in trailer-ised mode, it still works brilliantly.

Just further evidence at how malleable Williams' themes are. No matter whether he wrote them 40 or 4 years ago, they can be "modernised" into something as obscure as trailer music.

Full credit to Disney as well, rather than just relying on the OT themes (the prequel themes have been conspicuously absent from all marketing though), they've heavily pushed Williams' suite of sequel trilogy themes in the marketing for both sequels, helping fold the new ideas into the existing ones. The lazy and easier option would've been Imperial March or Main Title references ad nauseum, so credit to them for doubling down on Williams' newer, less iconic ideas.