Star Wars IX The Rise of Skywalker (JJ Abrams 2019)

Jay

1 hour ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Well other trailers had true new music under all the trailerish shit...so anything goes. But since all is old themes...I doubt it.

Right, like we got what was apparently a trailer-ized version of "The Spark" for TLJ, although we had no idea until the film came out:

In this trailer, the only thing I could maybe imagine being based on a new JW piece is this melody:

Played more prominently here:

Definitely based on the Force theme but not quite identical - theoretically possible that JW wrote a new "end of saga" theme based on the Force theme and that's what we're hearing here (in trailer-ized form). Who knows. 

2 minutes ago, Fargo said:

Pretty sure the main theory is 

Hide contents

Palpatine was possessing Snoke. Will end up possessing Kylo, Rey, and apparently C-3PO. Because why not.

Sounds like a Stargate SG-1 plot when the non-corporeal Anubis was possessing humans, which caused their bodies to quickly rot.

When I first saw the final shot of Rey in the D23 footage, I thought, "Is that Keri Russell?" Seriously, it would be cool if Russell was playing a Sith character instead.

The new poster looks fine too. I'm not too fussy about things.

43 minutes ago, Will said:

Definitely based on the Force theme but not quite identical - theoretically possible that JW wrote a new "end of saga" theme based on the Force theme and that's what we're hearing here (in trailer-ized form). Who knows. 

I think it's just a slight variation on the Force Theme by some trailer composer, in the same way the end of the first trailer was just an abridged version of Kylo Ren's A theme.

If we're going to hear a hint of Williams music, it'll be in the final trailer. I do love that slowed down version of Yoda's Theme though, works really well.

Remember that the writer of this movie also wrote Batman v Superman, a movie notorious for bizarre pointless imagery in the trailers that didn't amount to anything in the movie.

3 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Remember that the writer of this movie also wrote Batman v Superman, a movie notorious for bizarre pointless imagery in the trailers that didn't amount to anything in the movie.

Yeah, and he also wrote the screenplay for Argo, winning an Academy Award in the process.

It's easy to be misleading when you only post selective facts, isn't it?

25 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Yeah, and he also wrote the screenplay for Argo, winning an Academy Award in the process.

It's easy to be misleading when you only post selective facts, isn't it?

Argo is a steaming pile of shit. So not a point in his favor.

And yeah, plenty of garbage wins Academy awards. They are human too.

9 hours ago, Quintus said:

The poster's fine you autistic clowns. 

I'm fine with the overall layout but Palpatine just looks a little cartoonish.

50 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

I've been itching to try out the new Argo.

I'll bet.

What's with evil Rey, people who care about this more than I do and have been following spoilers?  My daughters are concerned.

JW says the film is ‘fabulous’, I’ll believe him!

I don’t recall him praising TLJ anywhere really, not even in the liner notes for the sheet music of ‘The Rebellion is Reborn’. 

That explains why it's so good! For those who don't remember, Lloyd was the composer of the first TLJ teaser score -- the one many here thought was JW himself. 

14 minutes ago, Quintus said:

It's not sci-fi. 

Well, if you told me fifteen years that Affleck would come back from his shitty period to win an Academy Award for his own directorial efforts, I'd say it sounded quite futuristic and implausible.

1 hour ago, Remco said:

JW says the film is ‘fabulous’, I’ll believe him!

I don’t recall him praising TLJ anywhere really, not even in the liner notes for the sheet music of ‘The Rebellion is Reborn’. 

Well, he is more or less contractually bound to praise the film.  I think his comments come off as genuine enthusiasm, at least insofar as the fun interplay of the characters go.  I thought that was the best part of TFA and mostly missing from TLJ.  So, it is nice that it is coming back.  Does it make up for a complete lack of interesting ST story?  well, that is a different conversation, i suppose.  

My completely boring white-bread take is that after losing her own saber, she takes a weird saber from a defeated Knight of Ren and is sneaking somewhere in their cloak.  I don't see a road to a satisfactory "ending of the saga" that involves a legitimate heel-turn from Rey.

I'm excited, like the poster and the footage, but I find myself not wanting to know more before the movie.  I'm sure I'll watch whatever final theatrical trailer they cobble together before then

6 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I don't see a road to a satisfactory "ending of the saga" that involves a legitimate heel-turn from Rey.

Indeed - one franchise ruining instance of that is enough.

4 minutes ago, Dixon Hill said:

Indeed - one franchise ruining instance of that is enough.

I'm still angry about how they took great leader and bastion of democracy Sheev Palpatine and just suddenly turned him into the villain in Episode III just to quickly tie up the plot.  Lazy writing!