Star Wars IX The Rise of Skywalker (JJ Abrams 2019)

Jay

with such sheer demonstrations of the First Order military might like the scene where there's so many Star Destroyers that they literally blot out the sky, I wouldn't be surprised if Williams wrote some kind of new theme or march for the First Order.

58 minutes ago, DarthDementous said:

with such sheer demonstrations of the First Order military might like the scene where there's so many Star Destroyers that they literally blot out the sky, I wouldn't be surprised if Williams wrote some kind of new theme or march for the First Order.

A new theme like the Imperial March has been predicted before every film since the prequels, and it's never once happened. I wouldn't hold my breath.

4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm still angry about how they took great leader and bastion of democracy Sheev Palpatine and just suddenly turned him into the villain in Episode III just to quickly tie up the plot.  Lazy writing!

I thought Palpatine and Darth Sidious were two separate guys!

7 minutes ago, Thekthithm said:

I thought Palpatine and Darth Sidious were two separate guys!

Wrong, but Obi-Wan and Ben Kenobi are definitely two different guys.

The double-bladed sword in TPM was a fun gimmick but even that was lampooned in a meta way when Obi-Wan just cuts the sword in half before cutting Darth Maul in half. Same thing with General Grievous using a shitload of swords. Remember also that the outcome of several major laser sword confrontations wasn't even decided by a laser sword, such as Obi vs. Grievous, Yoda vs. the Emperor and Luke and Vader vs. the Emperor.

That's a great thing about the Lucas movies. Considering how little they were used in Episodes IV, V and VI, it seems like they should barely factor in to the sequel trilogy.

On 8/27/2019 at 1:04 AM, DarthDementous said:

That'd be welcome!

Or at least a clear version of the First Order Theme that already exists.

Is it just me though or does that Star Destroyer Overkill shot look like someone went nuts with the copy/paste buttons?

I like seeing such a massive fleet, but the visuals look weird to me...

Got around to watching the wretched thing. Its hard to make anything of the film from it, although the film does seem to go for a larger scale than the first teaser seemed to show. I mean, its perfectly logical to make the last film in your trilogy (and the series, in theory) the most grandly-scaled.

The whole Rey going evil idea - which was thrown around the net since the beginning of this trilogy - is mind-numblingly idiotic. Not only can it in no way be conducive to a satisfying resolution, it also cannot line up with Rey's character, unless the writers contrive something out of their arse. We know Rey: does she have the capacity for becoming evil? Absolutely not. That sort of character shift requires a clear set-up and development across the entire trilogy, which we clearly don't have.

I mean, I'm sure its just a dream sequence or something, but its still telling that the filmmakers are trying to tease it. Its the same with Kylo wanting Rey to join him in The Last Jedi: I knew it was never going to happen, and so there was no suspense there.

In Star Wars specifically, that's an aesthetic that was begun by the twist of The Empire Strikes Back, and the attempt to recapture that with Return of the Jedi. Since then, each film had to hinge upon somekind of twist: the real Padme being revealed as the handmaiden, Anakin's killing of the Sand-People, the Sidius reveal (as a replacement for an earlier version where Palptine revealed himself to be Anakin's father), the "your father, Han Solo" reveal, etcetra.

Of course, unexpected plot developments are important, and you usually do include somekind of twist around the middle of your film, but it shouldn't be something that's so surprising that it comes out of the blue. It should be something that you'd feel like, if you have one or two more hints and a bit more time to figure them out on your own, you would have.

I feel as if Attack of the Clones glossed over the fact that some shady Jedi placed an order for a clone army. There's only one line when that should've been a huge mystery to investigate! Instead, the Jedi say 'fuck it' and take the clones through convenience and desperation.

3 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Remember that: Star Wars = Toys.

Yeah, it's a teaser poster, but it might suggest we don't see a physical version of Palpatine in the film.

What if Rey is a Skywalker... and a Kenobi.

Spoiler

skywalker-family-d9f9aa23-4896-45aa-a5a1

Now they'll have something to tell in "Kenobi": the untold Sex & Deathsticks & Jazz years of Ben Kenobi on Tatootine.

34 minutes ago, Arpy said:

I feel as if Attack of the Clones glossed over the fact that some shady Jedi placed an order for a clone army. There's only one line when that should've been a huge mystery to investigate! Instead, the Jedi say 'fuck it' and take the clones through convenience and desperation.

This. AotC chooses to be a different genre and spend its time investigating and "building character", only for the conclusion to be "it was some dude, let's fight, flishy flashy". Not worth sleeping through the thing for in the slightest.

I had the dubious pleasure of reading the screenplay to Attack of the Clones. Originally, it was either Dooku or Sidius who ordered the creation of the Clone Army. It would have made for a more straightforward revelation in Episode III, but it also made the Jedi look even more idiotic in not being able to put two and two together. There's a remnant of this in the finished film, when Fett says he was recruited by one Tyrannus, who is Dooku.

Instead, it was rewritten to be the work of a member of the Jedi council, with the revelation dropped from Episode III. Lucas devoted some of the screentime that was originally allocated to this mystery to fleshing out Dooku, when he's trying to sway Obi Wan. Its not necessarily a bad idea, except that he practically tells Obi-Wan that Palpatine is Darth Sidius. Why it takes until halfway through Revenge of the Sith for the characters to realize this I have no idea.

2 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

It has multiple child murders!

Lets see Rise of Skywalker top that!

If they're not murdering children, they'll murder the childhood of every Star Wars fan.

8 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Got around to watching the wretched thing. Its hard to make anything of the film from it, although the film does seem to go for a larger scale than the first teaser seemed to show. I mean, its perfectly logical to make the last film in your trilogy (and the series, in theory) the most grandly-scaled.

The whole Rey going evil idea - which was thrown around the net since the beginning of this trilogy - is mind-numblingly idiotic. Not only can it in no way be conducive to a satisfying resolution, it also cannot line up with Rey's character, unless the writers contrive something out of their arse. We know Rey: does she have the capacity for becoming evil? Absolutely not. That sort of character shift requires a clear set-up and development across the entire trilogy, which we clearly don't have.

I mean, I'm sure its just a dream sequence or something, but its still telling that the filmmakers are trying to tease it. Its the same with Kylo wanting Rey to join him in The Last Jedi: I knew it was never going to happen, and so there was no suspense there.

Rey will not turn evil (or at least be evil at the end of the movie) because of KK's "the force is female" and other PC stuff.

However, to say it does not line up is not true.  Although I hate TLJ, it does have the scene of her training with Luke and her going straight to the darkside place.  The basis is there if they really wanted her to turn evil.  

5 minutes ago, Tom said:

Rey will not turn evil (or at least be evil at the end of the movie) because of KK's "the force is female" and other PC stuff.

Rey won’t turn evil because she’s the hero and it’s Star Wars.

1 hour ago, Tom said:

However, to say it does not line up is not true.  Although I hate TLJ, it does have the scene of her training with Luke and her going straight to the darkside place.  The basis is there if they really wanted her to turn evil.  

I think you are mistaken. The last domino to fall is that evil is not men's domain alone. Women are equally capable as men of unimaginable villainy, and reprehensible behavior. That is why we had Danerys commit a genocide. And that is why an evil Rey makes sense. Atleast on paper. But it is a dream sequence anyways.

29 minutes ago, Tom said:

So was Anakin.  

Anakin was always a doomed antihero to everyone watching those movies and last I checked there wasn’t an Episode X-XII to cross-reference Rey’s horrible demise.