Star Wars IX The Rise of Skywalker (JJ Abrams 2019)

Jay

29 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I still think it's BS the way it was revealed that Darth Vader made C3P0. I just pretend I never heard any of that. 

Technically, it was young Anakin who made him—long before he started on the journey that would make him Vader. There’s nothing inherently BS about that.

6 minutes ago, Bayesian said:

Technically, it was young Anakin who made him—long before he started on the journey that would make him Vader. There’s nothing inherently BS about that.

Small universe silliness, it bothers me. 

1 hour ago, mrbellamy said:

Anakin was always a doomed antihero to everyone watching those movies and last I checked there wasn’t an Episode X-XII to cross-reference Rey’s horrible demise. 

The Creator wanted the new generation to watch them in numerical order.  Also X-XII are inevitable regardless of the plot of IX. 

Well Evil Rey would make Ep 10 more than inevitable. It’d probably come out in 2021! Unless it ends with somebody killing her, I suppose.

If Rey is Daenerys then who’s Jon Snow?

1 hour ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

In an early cut of Attack of the Clones, Padme gave Threepio his armor plating.

6b0fabe.jpg

I was disappointed when I found out that scene wasn't included on the Blu-ray set.

Anyone else? No one? So it's a bit like Rey being an expert Jedi from day one? You don't ask questions, you just accept what Disney fabricates out of thin air? 

1 hour ago, Modest Expectations said:

Rey has been named after Ray Park

image.pngimage.png

Btw. does anyone else have an uncanny valley effect from how large her head is in the shot from TROS?

Its her hair bun, its making it look like a tent pole.

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I'd like Alex to list the aspects of Star Wars that weren't "fabricated"?

It's easy to come up with stuff that has no foundation in the backstory. JJ Abrams seems to be the biggest offender in this regard (Rey having super force without any warning or preparation). I usually have no problem with any of concoctions the Star Wars writers come up with, as long as it is in some way believable. This is only the second time that I feel things are illogical. However, it is fascinating that some viewers never have that problem. If in the next movie Poe Dameron turns out to be Luke Skywalker's brother, they'll probably stand up and applaud.

8 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

JJ Abrams seems to be the biggest offender in this regard (Rey having super force without any warning or preparation).

And this is different to some random boy on Tatooine having, 'the highest midichlorian count ever recorded by a Jedi,' how...?

Just now, crumbs said:

And this is different to some random boy on Tatooine having, 'the highest midichlorian count ever recorded by a Jedi,' how...?

It's not random.  In fact, characters in movies never are. Now if he was better than Qui-Gon and Obi, without training or experience, then it would have been another matter. 

Yet Luke uses the Force to blow up the Death Star after spending decades on a desert planet with no exposure to the Force or any training whatsoever, other than a few minutes practice against a remote!

Why is it so hard to believe that people born with a finely tuned connection to the Force don't require months or years of "training" to harness it? Why is it so hard to believe that people can be naturally gifted in their ability to wield it, not unlike a talented sportsperson or a genius mathematician?

It was the first movie. He just needed to let the force flow through him.

Besides, his training in the next movie was just levitating rocks and running around a swamp.

8 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Luke was trained by Obi-Wan. He was also already a good pilot.

And the film establishes multiple times that Rey is proficient with her staff (using it for self defence as required -- which makes complete sense, having grown up an orphan on a junkyard planet filled with scavengers and pirates).

23 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Yet Luke uses the Force to blow up the Death Star after spending decades on a desert planet with no exposure to the Force or any training whatsoever, other than a few minutes practice against a remote!

Two wrongs don't make a right. That Luke's abilities were not very well set-up (as were Anakin's, too) doesn't mean that its excusable for Rey.

Its certainly not a major issue in my mind, though. If we had to see Rey undergo extensive training before she could participate in the events of the films, it'd make for some pretty boring cinema.

44 minutes ago, crumbs said:

The force is with him.

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

It's easy to come up with stuff that has no foundation in the backstory. JJ Abrams seems to be the biggest offender in this regard (Rey having super force without any warning or preparation). I usually have no problem with any of concoctions the Star Wars writers come up with, as long as it is in some way believable. 

But Rey's origins have not been revealed yet, so everything is still possible. In a Universe where Force (that is, magic) exists, her abilities can easily find an explanation that is coherent with the internal logic of the Universe, depending on what the writers have imagined. I think it's too early to say that there is no logic in Rey's abilities without training: let's first hear and see how the story ends in Episode IX. The reason why she has those abilities might well be the crucial point of the trilogy. Of course, if it turns out that there is no explanation, that would be lazy writing.