Star Wars IX The Rise of Skywalker (JJ Abrams 2019)

Jay

4 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Even working people who are genuinely into the lore surely struggle to find the time to read the damn things.

Wow; that's a REALLY accurate description of my situation! You are right on the money there. :lol:

4 hours ago, Holko said:

Having read many old EU books but loving none of them (I liked some of the comics like KotOR much more back in the day, the SW universe is much more visual than wordy), I looked through a guide and deducted Bloodlines is the only one really worth reading for background. After not finding an e-version of it in any convenient store at that moment and pirating it, I deleted it after the first chapter, the writing was just atrocious, like an unedited first draft.

That one is written by Claudia Grey. I've read several of those new SW books and I found hers to be the best of the bunch.

For some reason though, Bloodline didn't connect with me and it was a chore to get through.

On the other hand, "Leia: Princess of Alderaan" also has a strong connection to the background and lore of the series, but I like it far, far better.

I cannot explain why, when it's the same writer and the same character. It's weird.

"Lost Stars" is an interesting one too as it basically doesn't affect the plots of the movies at all.

Instead, it tells a completely separate story with brand new characters and the events of Episodes IV-VIII serving 'only' as background.

It's an interesting approach and could probably be enjoyed as a fully stand-alone story even by those with no familiarity of the actual films.

If you cannot enjoy "Leia" or "Lost Stars" either, I sincerely doubt you'd enjoy any of those new SW books and you're probably better off skipping them all.

1 hour ago, Modest Expectations said:

I have a crazy idea that it might have to do something with the quality of products and services purchased in good faith.

Could be. But I feel like there is prequel-level bashing going on while TFA does feel, at least to me, like a higher quality film than those.

I might be wrong, but it suggests to me there is something more at play than the quality alone.

My personal hypothesis is that there has been a culture shift between when the original trilogy was released and now, some 40 years later.

I never used to listen to audiobooks in the car, but, a few years ago when I had babies in the NICU for a month and a half, and I was back and forth to the hospital constantly, I picked up Timothy Zahn’s Heir to the Empire audiobook, and thought it was ace! This was right after The Force Awakens came out. Anyway, great narrator who nailed the character voices, fun sound effects and occasional (if a bit too occasional) music, and the author writes a fun swashbuckling yarn that feels like a seamless continuation of Return of the Jedi. I went through my whole life up to that point trying not to cross that particular nerd line, but, the Thrawn books and the X-Wing books are indeed great fun!

Oh, and the radio dramas of the OT, as I think everyone knows, are also very good.

I tried to listen to the TFA novelization later, and it was a real snoozer.

Okay I watched the trailer with the evil Daisy. That’s another clone, an evil one. That one has Darth Maul’s soul. Remember the cave - the cave in TLJ where Rey looks for her origin and she sees it’s Daiseys all the way down. You’re welcome John Williams.

Something like that.

The trailer has the Emperor’s voice and Luke’s voice and Darth Vader’s breathing, so, they’re all coming back somehow.

3PO’s clearly possessed by someone too, as I mentioned, so. All the force ghosts are wargs now?

It does seem a bit weird.  When Williams talked about Daisy as the reason he was scoring VIII, I figured he was trying to be funny.  I think he is truly enamored by the woman.  I guess if it gets me more Williams SW music, then why on earth would I complain. 

Hope Lando at least washed them since then... 

2 hours ago, Tom said:

It does seem a bit weird.  When Williams talked about Daisy as the reason he was scoring VIII, I figured he was trying to be funny.  I think he is truly enamored by the woman.  I guess if it gets me more Williams SW music, then why on earth would I complain. 

I agree that it's a little weird (arguably even creepy), although that could just be because I'm super on-edge about the behavior of basically every male celebrity after the recent #MeToo revelations. In any event I am of course inclined to give JW the benefit of the doubt.  

7 hours ago, Will said:

Hope Lando at least washed them since then... 

I agree that it's a little weird (arguably even creepy), although that could just be because I'm super on-edge about the behavior of basically every male celebrity after the recent #MeToo revelations. In any event I am of course inclined to give JW the benefit of the doubt.  

Yeah men and women shouldn't be interacting with each other without strict monitoring from a professional qualified in assessing workplace sexual relations and authorised in escalating reports to employers and alerting law enforcement authorities should any form of harassment be detected. It's likely John Williams is a vicious sexual predator and vulnerable young womyn must be strongly cautioned.

2 hours ago, Modest Expectations said:

:huh:

One would expect affirmation and support from the JWFan for the great composer and whomever he is on tender terms with by default.

Let me suggest a dictionary of alternative expressions:

- How cute

- I find it lovely

- It is good to see

- I am happy for her/him/them

- I'm shipping it

This.

Wtf is wrong with these guys?

1 hour ago, Chen G. said:

Rey's theme is Williams telling the story of a young orphan from the point of view of a grandfather.

Williams' music generally does sound like something a kindly elderly chap running an old timey corner choccy shop would come up with.

41 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I challenge anyone to find a statement directly from Williams that has even a hint of inappropriateness.  People are conflating the jokes made on the forum with Williams' actual words I think.  We took his very innocent statements and exaggerated to extreme degrees for humor.

Yeah I think that's largely the case. JW's actual comments are just some light-hearted fun and appreciation. 

10 hours ago, Will said:

I agree that it's a little weird (arguably even creepy) ... In any event I am of course inclined to give JW the benefit of the doubt.  

This is a really poor comment.

I'm sure Williams will sleep easier knowing you've given him the 'benefit of the doubt' that he's not some perverted creep obsessed with Ridley.

That is correct. It is Frank Marshall, or, if you prefer, Mr. Kathleen Kennedy.

49 minutes ago, Thekthithm said:

Natalie Portman never reciprocated.

As you can clearly see, she's goosing him. The look of surprised satisfaction says it all.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

This is a really poor comment.

I'm sure Williams will sleep easier knowing you've given him the 'benefit of the doubt' that he's not some perverted creep obsessed with Ridley.

I dunno, maybe my generation is just way more #MeToo-paranoid than previous ones. :P

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Adam Driver has always been easily the best actor in the new movies.

I thought TFA lead trio Ford, Ridley, and Boyega were excellent!

Honestly, I prefer Kylo Ren with the mask on. Well, except for the Undercover Boss bit, I love that!

1 hour ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

I mean, damn, he's 35 and already been directed by Spielberg, Scorsese, the Coens, Soderbergh, Spike Lee, Gilliam, and J.J. Abrams. That's an insane resume to have at the end of one's career, but before you're even 40? Goodness me. 

I'd add Jarmusch, one of my heroes!  Paterson was a wonderful little movie, one of Driver's best roles IMO.