Star Wars IX The Rise of Skywalker (JJ Abrams 2019)

Jay

1 hour ago, Demodex said:

I don't know if this is real or if you're joking. 

It’s real but in a mstroxy way

Its sad Leia never had her great payoff...but seriously after tfa and tlj, it would not make sense for her to want to be a Jedi now. And is there anyway, any novel that implies she got true jedi training between rotj and tfa?

I feel like if they made the ST in the 80s or even when the PT trilogy was made, she would have been a Jedi. By the time the ST came around, Fisher was too old to be portrayed as an active Jedi... maybe they could have gotten away with her being a retired Jedi.

It's possible that Leia was able to commune with Luke, like Obi-Wan and Yoda. I feel if they go with the Jedi Leia thing, it would be more spiritual Force mumbo-jumbo than a physical training thing. We know Jedi can use their powers without any formal training so it's not hard to think Leia could've worked some of this out herself.

9 hours ago, Balahkay said:

I feel like if they made the ST in the 80s or even when the PT trilogy was made, she would have been a Jedi. By the time the ST came around, Fisher was too old to be portrayed as an active Jedi... maybe they could have gotten away with her being a retired Jedi.

Do Jedi have a retirement plan?

9 hours ago, Balahkay said:

I feel like if they made the ST in the 80s or even when the PT trilogy was made, she would have been a Jedi.

They were never going to make a sequel trilogy in the 80s. Very early on in the shaping of Episode VI, the door on the sequel trilogy was in effect closed shut, when the final confrontation with the emperor was placed in the film. That’s why the sequel trilogy doesn’t really fit with the six films.

Back when George Lucas was toying with the idea of nine or even twelve films, it was at a time where he envisioned Star Wars as more in the vein of what Indiana Jones ended up being instead: a series of standalone adventures (with occasional recurring elements), rather than a cycle of episodes unfolding a grand story.

42 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

They were never going to make a sequel trilogy in the 80s. Very early on in the shaping of Episode VI, the door on the sequel trilogy was in effect closed shut, when the final confrontation with the emperor was placed in the film. That’s why the sequel trilogy doesn’t really fit with the six films.

Back when George Lucas was toying with the idea of nine or even twelve films, it was at a time where he envisioned Star Wars as more in the vein of what Indiana Jones ended up being instead: a series of standalone adventures (with occasional recurring elements), rather than a cycle of episodes unfolding a grand story.

The other Skywalker in this version was not to be Leia, but someone Luke would go in search of in VII. 

6 hours ago, Modest Expectations said:

Pay-off to what set-up? She was never shown to have force powers, nor an ambition to have them, or to be a frontline warrior.

Not necessary with jedi powers but in ep ix, se could have been pivotal in the destruction or redemption of kylo ren.

7 hours ago, Tom said:

The other Skywalker in this version was not to be Leia, but someone Luke would go in search of in VII. 

I don’t know that the search for this other Skywalker was pinned down to any one specific episode. I think the only think Lucas had in mind for future installments was the final confrontation with the emperor in IX, because you obviously have the big climactic confrontation at the end of the series.

Otherwise, it was mostly envisioned as being like Indy: separate adventures in each episode.

7 hours ago, Modest Expectations said:

Pay-off to what set-up? She was never shown to have force powers, nor an ambition to have them, or to be a frontline warrior.

She has the power to float through space and strangle slugs.

(she is seriously the worst main character in the SW series)

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

Snoke was an awful name for a villain. What happened to twisting negatively-toned words like Invader, Insidious and Plague? It's tradition!

They needed something simple for Carrie Fisher to pronounce. Imagine her stumbling through a polysyballic beauty like Insidious. 

Chen, The Force is used retroactively like the Christian god is used to account for evolution by natural selection. If Leia's a Jedi in one film, she's one in all the preceding films.