Star Wars IX The Rise of Skywalker (JJ Abrams 2019)

Jay

Rian Johnson's Knives Out opens next week, 3 weeks ahead of Rise Of Skywalker. 

Now I'm not saying that the title is NECESSARILY a snarky dig at how TLJ went down with elements of the Star Wars fandom, but ...  

2 hours ago, mstrox said:

Interesting that the earliest promotion for the movie featured that Klaud slug guy quite a bit, but he hasn't been on much of anything since then.  Wonder if that's a character that wasn't working, ended up getting cut down in editing and reshoots.

Some of the September reshoots were in the park near Pinewood where this character's scenes were shot, so you might be on the money here.

Yeah just one look at that design and it screamed Jar Jar. Not sure what JJ was thinking. Wisely omitted from all the marketing too, bar one early photo and an early leaked poster. 

5 hours ago, First TROS March Accolyte said:

Is anyone else infuriated every time someone writes "John William's"? How dare they butcher his name? And in such a bizarre way---no less!

I've never seen anyone write "Johannes Brahm's", "J.J. Abram's", or "Jar Jar Bink's".

To be fair I see a lot of people write "JJ Abraham's", and I think I even saw someone call him "JJ Arabman" or something like that yesterday.

On 11/23/2019 at 7:12 PM, First TROS March Accolyte said:

You are under arrest, my Lord.

That quote never made sense to me, since when was Palpatine a "Lord", and why would Mace give him the title after a close lightsaber duel? 

I guess he's just being civil? Maybe he thinks Palpatine's senile?

22 minutes ago, First TROS March Accolyte said:

499?cb=20060606043642

Geez that's an excruciatingly bad publicity photo. What the hell were they thinking? Even going to the trouble of adding lightsaber effects!

Nice that JW gets a few token shots towards the end from the OT and PT sessions, but why not follow those with a shot from the ST sessions?

Plus some actual JW SW music would've been nice, rather than generic trailer stuff.

11 minutes ago, First TROS March Accolyte said:

And then a documentary about 42 years of scoring Star Wars with a focus on the final achievement will be released right in front of the voting. 

What do you think Spielberg was doing attending the recording sessions? Filming West Side Story is just a cover.

1 hour ago, First TROS March Accolyte said:

I wonder whether Disney is trying to preserve the effect Williams' score will have the same way they are keeping Palpatine known about, but not shown.

To have it overly obvious and expected would continue the exact familiarity that made the critics take Williams for granted over the past two decades. Instead they are trying to have it smash people by surprise. I think Disney will try to get him an Oscar.

There will be an endless row of both thinkers and shills alike who will heap a storm of praise on it in late December. Interviews with J.J., KK, and others will "suddenly" mention it everywhere. And then a documentary about 42 years of scoring Star Wars with a focus on the final achievement will be released right in front of the voting.

And the winner for the best score is...

Hide contents

John Williams, for Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker! <the whole crowd cheers and vocalizes> The orchestra: TAAM TAAM TAAM TARARARARA TAM DARAM

I don't think Disney cares as much about Awards. They are only about money.

56 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

I don't think Disney cares as much about Awards. They are only about money.

They did when Black Panther got nominated for a series of important awards.

Also, in 2011 they mounted a serious and costly campaign for Toy Story 3 to win the Best Picture Oscar (which would've been better than the actual winner that year, lol).

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

They did when Black Panther got nominated for a series of important awards.

Also, in 2011 they mounted a serious and costly campaign for Toy Story 3 to win the Best Picture Oscar (which would've been better than the actual winner that year, lol).

Every film studio lobbies to be nominated for and win awards - it's why they do FYC ads and send out FYC media (showings of movies, press kit videos for other categories, score releases).   Lobbying for awards costs money, but getting a nomination makes money, and winning - especially major awards - makes more money.