Star Wars IX The Rise of Skywalker (JJ Abrams 2019)

Jay

44 minutes ago, First TROS March Accolyte said:

This joke really landed for me.

Not for me. Having the same line said 3 times in a row? Marvel-tier humor. In SW 1-6, such a line would be quipped by C-3PO once, and that would be it...

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

Also, in 2011 they mounted a serious and costly campaign for Toy Story 3 to win the Best Picture Oscar (which would've been better than the actual winner that year, lol).

The 'serious and costly' campaign amounted to a few ads in Variety. It was hardly serious. Also see below. 

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

Every film studio lobbies to be nominated for and win awards - it's why they do FYC ads and send out FYC media (showings of movies, press kit videos for other categories, score releases).   Lobbying for awards costs money, but getting a nomination makes money, and winning - especially major awards - makes more money.

The way to show you really have to want it is to put your money out there and buy the publicity. Netflix spent 30 million dollars on the Oscar campaign alone! For a 15 million dollar movie. THAT is what lobbying truly means. I can't imagine Disney pushing that hard.

I feel they could have gotten a win for Best Score last year for Mary Poppins but did not even bother with a big campaign.

20 minutes ago, aviazn said:

This kind of meta-wink humor is my least favorite part of the sequel trilogy.

I generally dislike meta humor in films, but it worked better in The Force Awakens than it did in The Last Jedi, so I’m willing to give Abrams the benefit of the doubt there.

I don't mean the score award specifically, just that Black Panther was their bigger play last year in general, there were just way more eyes and ears on it than Mary Poppins, which was only natural but also Disney really pushed it more for awards.

I kind of agree that it was about those things you say in a highly superficial way but really it was just a big flashy score in a big flashy Best Picture nominee, like so many others. Talking about representation they might as well have given it to BlacKkKlansman.

Well I think Star Wars has a good chance of winning technical Oscars and a reasonable chance of winning a music Oscar (although, hey, we haven't heard the score yet so maybe ol' JW screwed the pooch), but I'd give it a 0% chance of winning any major awards.

53 minutes ago, First TROS March Accolyte said:

I don't think it counts. It was both about representation of minorities / African music, and an award to a new, eclectic composer.

Honest to god there was a diversity angle to the Black Panther wins (I am a minority so i can say that) not that it wasn't deserving. But the liberal academy certainly likes to pat itself on the back for being woke. This is proved by the fact that Ludwig got a standing ovation when he won for Best Score - something I made a joke about even during the ceremony.

People thought he was going to be african American - turned out he was lily white. Why do you think a new composer that no one had heard of got a standing ovation? Because the standing ovation was for the minority legacy of the film - not for the composer.

You know who gets an automatic standing ovation? Any minority winner. Automatic.

LOL

For One Brief Moment, A STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER Script Was On eBay

During an appearance on this morning's Good Morning America, J.J. Abrams revealed that an actual, honest-to-goodness script for Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, wound up on eBay. According to the filmmaker, if it weren't for a vigilant Disney employee, that script could've made it out into the internet wild. But how the hell did a top secret script for one of the most closely-guarded productions end up on eBay, of all places? Who even uses eBay? Isn't it just a place where your aunt buys perfumes they stopped making in the ’90s? Abrams describes how it went down:

"One of our actors, I won’t say which one — I want to, but I won’t — left it under their bed and it was found by someone who was cleaning their place. It was then given to someone else who went to sell it on eBay."

NAME NAMES, ABRAMS. Which Star Wars cast member would absent-mindedly leave a script for The Rise of Skywalker under their bed in a hotel room? This is like a game of Clue. Perhaps it was Warwick Davis, on the second floor of the Hilton in a room with two double beds, distracted by an early morning binge-watch of The Bachelor. Or maybe it was Adam Driver, in the Howard Johnson executive suite, during an emotionally-charged phone call with Noah Baumbach. Wait, no, it was Domhnall Gleeson, at the La Quinta, and it was actually the ghost of Carrie Fisher. 

Abrams says that a Disney employee spotted the script on eBay and "got it back before it sold." I sincerely hope that person has been given a raise and promoted to a position that does not involve having to constantly check eBay for whoopsies. 

https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2019/11/25/for-one-brief-moment-a-star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-script-was-on-ebay

Whoever, stole it wasn't very smart; They could have gotten paid instantly to sell scans of it to various websites

I remember reading that some of the Game of Thrones S8 scripts were also scan proof, so that the actors couldn't copy it. This may be usual for big Hollywood productions.

But one thing is for sure: whoever stole this script will never work again in a major production.

They do it all the time on big spoilery productions.  I remember back in the days of, like, Scream 2, they printed the scripts in maroon text on a red background or something so that it couldn't be copied.

I don't know how they'd accomplish it today - with high quality digital scanning and photography, but I do remember hearing it too about GoT.

The fact that they had the whole script means that it must have come from one of the main actors.  I think it's traditional on spoiler-averse productions to only give people with smaller roles copies of their own pages. 

11 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I remember reading that some of the Game of Thrones S8 scripts were also scan proof, so that the actors couldn't copy it. This may be usual for big Hollywood productions.

But one thing is for sure: whoever stole this script will never work again in a major production.

You posted the article, which says the person who stole it was a housecleaner, not someone who worked on the film.

6 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Thats something different than scanning a document though.

It is, yes. But if you scan the document and realize it doesn't scan, your mind needs to kick into overdrive and figure out a plan B. Photos or videotaping it. Even if you need to read it aloud into a voice recorder. Something. Get creative. 

8 hours ago, SilverTrumpet said:

Finally watched this.

So why in that first teaser, was she all confident, waiting like a badass with her lightsaber to flip over and take down an oncoming TIE Fighter... yet here's she's all scared and weakly shooting her blaster?

1 hour ago, Thekthithm said:

Women can't shoot!

So do you expect her to shoot and drive at the same time? I can't definitively tell if she or Poe is driving, but it looks like she is in front. 

Yes, she should hand the wheel to someone else and hop into the back to deflect laser bolts with her saber, but she doesn't because of the script. 

1 hour ago, Balahkay said:

My question is why are the bad guys chasing them on wheels instead of using a hovering vehicle? The FO doesn’t have efficient vehicles for the desert?

Why does the immensely well funded "Republic" use tanks with tread in the prequel trilogy when there's clearly an abundance of hover technology available? Tread vehicles don't even make sense in a universe where hover technology exists, but I don't see anyone nitpicking those details in the prequels.

Maybe remote factions of the First Order just don't have the same resources to afford hover bikes, or these particular bikes have been repurposed using scrap from relics of the Empire. More to the point, does it really matter?

7 hours ago, Jay said:

So why in that first teaser, was she all confident, waiting like a badass with her lightsaber to flip over and take down an oncoming TIE Fighter... yet here's she's all scared and weakly shooting her blaster?

What a weird thing to say. Maybe see the movie to find out what happens that makes her more confident and determined between the two scenes. Or the other way around if they're the other way around.

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

Why does the immensely well funded "Republic" use tanks with tread in the prequel trilogy when there's clearly an abundance of hover technology available?

Yeah, the technology in Star Wars never made much sense. It’s part of the aesthetic.

10 hours ago, Jay said:

lol wtf? "Why was the protagonist experiencing different emotions in different scenes that I don't have any context for?"

Also, weakly shooting a blaster? She looks pretty determined to me.

https://collider.com/j-j-abrams-says-palpatines-return-was-planned-since-the-force-awakens/

“You just look at what he talks about, who he is, how important he is, what the story is — strangely, his absence entirely from the third trilogy would be conspicuous. It would be very weird. That’s not to say there was a bible and we knew what happens at every step. But when Larry Kasdan and I worked on The Force Awakens, we didn’t do it in a vacuum. We very purposely looked at what came before. We chose to tell a story that touches upon specific things and themes and ideas that we’ve seen before, to begin a new story. But we examined all that came before to ask where does this feel like it’s going?” - J.J. Abrams

and 

“So there were discussions about that at the time. Yet, like any beginning, you want to put the threads in, but you don’t want to necessarily be literal about everything. And then when Rian was brought on to do The Last Jedi, we met and we talked about things and he wrote his story. And when I read it the script, I realized this didn’t get in the way of anything Larry and I talked about that I thought I’d get to. There were some very specific things we did get to do in this movie that we were laughing and going, “Oh my god, we’re finally doing that thing we talked about five years ago.”

Seems to jibe with Kathleen Kennedy's statement earlier this year that Palpatine's return was planned since the beginning.

1 hour ago, Chen G. said:

It doesn’t seem explicit in the quotes you provided, and it does go against what Colin Trevorrow said on the matter.

These comments (from Slashfilm)

“Bringing back the Emperor was an idea JJ brought to the table when he came on board. It’s honestly something I never considered. I commend him for it. This was a tough story to unlock, and he found the key.” That said, there are still some of Trevorrow’s ideas in the film. He has a story credit, and he added to Empire: “I’m grateful to JJ [Abrams] for embracing some of our ideas. It’s exciting that fans will get to see the moments that felt essential to all of us.”

Yes. If sounds as though Abrams conjured it up when he came on board Episode IX.

Part of why I find it incredulous that this specific plot point was conjured up in the beginning, is that it has no bearing on either The Force Awakens or The Last Jedi, except possibly in retrospect. What’s the point of drumming up a plot point if you don’t set it up?

It shouldn't really matter if they knew it from the beginning or not. It only matters if it is consistent with the story (which, I fear, is not).

But since it does seem to matter, we should assume that it's very possible that they would lie to us about it. (after all, Lucas lied about Vader being the father from the beginning for this very reason).