Star Wars IX The Rise of Skywalker (JJ Abrams 2019)

Jay

6 hours ago, Tom said:

Well, then KK is lying, as she said the plan was always to have him in IX.

Did you listen to the original “interview”? The reporter all but put the words in her mouth as she was moving away.

I don’t think she truly meant to say that it was planned since the drafting of The Force Awakens. There’s no sense to do so and not include some overt form of build-up to it.

Personally I thought it was strange he didn't appear in either of the spin-offs (especially Rogue One which was overflowing with OT references), so I believe the idea they were saving him for IX as the last hurrah. If Snoke was that important, I doubt they would have let Rian kill him off. He only ever felt like Emperor-Lite to me. 

There's also a lot of unresolved plot threads introduced in ROTS about "cheating death." That was JJ's favourite scene in the prequels so it's no surprise he took the concept and ran with it. If the Jedi can live forever by becoming one with the force, why can't the Sith in a corrupted way? If you want to tie the whole saga together, that's the starting point. 

It makes sense to not have Palpy in Rogue One simply because he wasn't in the original Star Wars movie beyond a few passing references. As a direct prequel to Ep IV, it was still Tarkin's time to be the central villain. 

8 hours ago, Tom said:

Well, then KK is lying, as she said the plan was always to have him in IX.  Do you not think she would have communicated such a trifle to the writer for IX?  

Of course KK is lying. She's a suit. It is part of her job description.

When you see her at night without contact lenses, you see she actually has dollar signs imprinted on her eye balls.

5 hours ago, oierem said:

Well, bringing Palpatine back is hardly an original idea; it's the most obvious (and cheap, in my opinion) story development. I don't doubt that it was discussed from the very beginning.

Now, whether they had actually decided to bring him back when they did TFA or not is not clear. The lack of any hint of Palpatine being alive in either TFA or TLJ is rather telling. As is the intentional spoiler of letting everyone know Palpatine is back well before the movie comes out (if they had kept it a secret, and we only found out watching the movie, a lot of us would be disappointed at such a cheap option. Instead, they let the idea sink in months in advance, so every fan knows about it and has, more or less, accepted it).

I see nothing obvious or cheap about bringing Palpatine into TROS. He was the architect of the Empire and had the wool pulled over the Jedis’ eyes for years until he nearly eliminated them in ROTS. Since then, the Jedi and rebels remained a thorn in his side—refusing to die out against all odds through ROTJ and even through TLJ. I imagine after losing the Empire (and his life), Palpatine would want to settle the score as a force ghost or whatever he’ll manifest as in TROS.

7 hours ago, Bayesian said:

I see nothing obvious or cheap about bringing Palpatine into TROS. He was the architect of the Empire and had the wool pulled over the Jedis’ eyes for years until he nearly eliminated them in ROTS. Since then, the Jedi and rebels remained a thorn in his side—refusing to die out against all odds through ROTJ and even through TLJ.

I love the character of Palpatine, but I can't see a way of bringing him into The Rise of Skywalker which wouldn't feel cheap. But I'm willing to wait and see the filmmakers give it a go before I judge.

The fact that Palpatine died in Return of the Jedi, and that thus far the sequel trilogy has been chugging along without ever setting up his return, would more then likely make his return very awkward.

I'm also not sure how its actually going to help "tie" the whole saga together. As it is, it strikes me like a superficial solution to that problem.

2 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

The fact that Palpatine died in Return of the Jedi, and that thus far the sequel trilogy has been chugging along without ever setting up his return, would more then likely make his return very awkward.

Did he really die, though? We never saw his dead body.

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Did he really die, though? We never saw his dead body.

He fell into a shaft, seemingly got electrocuted and then the entire structure blew up.

Besides, its not just about what you see, its about storytelling shorthand. Even a young kid seeing the film in 1983 could take the end of Return of the Jedi for what it was always intended to be: the dark overlord slain and the evil Empire defeated.

The series should have ended right there.

From the old lore, jedi could attain immortality out of love and peace and become force ghosts. Sith could have ghosts but they were always attached to some physical object, like a tomb, artifact or whatever, maintained by they anger and hate.

Maybe Palpatine is attached to the death Star ii wreckage.

3 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

He fell into a shaft, seemingly got electrocuted

One can survive electricity, and who knows, perhaps he escaped through the shaft, just like Luke escaped after he had his hand sliced off in TESB.

Again, the end of Return of the Jedi was clearly not meant to be read this way, and all but the most dense of viewers will be able to detect this without any context.

It was - and is - the end of the story of Star Wars.

Cool Japanese (?) trailer:

So far I guess there'll be two major action scenes on the movie: some chase at the desert planet, involving the main heroes and some First Orders stormtroopers, and including the Rey backflipping scene and the "They fly now!?" line; and the last battle at this massive stormy planet, with Rey and Kylo confronting themselves and then the Emperor, while the other non-Force wielding characters involved on a dogfight with the First Order ships.

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

the last battle at this massive stormy planet, with Rey and Kylo confronting themselves and then the Emperor

If JJ Abrams has any dramatic clout, the order of these events will be reversed.

If the Emperor is re-introduced as a plot device to make Kylo turn sides, it'll be the stupidest thing in all of these films.

Klaud better not be as annoying as he looks.  Either that or Williams better give him a memorable theme.  We are not good enough to deserve both a good character and good theme.  

3 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

God bless the people that made this possible:

v1shoer77v141.png?width=400&height=163

So apparently recreating a person’s face with CGI is now sacrilege, but compositing their face with CGI unto another person’s body and another environment - that’s fine.

Go figure.

13 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

When I see this Klaud character and try to imagine a Williams theme for him, the only thing that comes to my mind is the March of the Villains for Superman for some reason:

I always thought the Parade of the Ewoks took its cue from this one.  

6 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I'm thinking we might hear a return of the tuba, for comedic effect.

It is 2019--we are no longer allowed to fat-shame via the tuba.  

16 hours ago, Chen G. said:

So apparently recreating a person’s face with CGI is now sacrilege, but compositing their face with CGI unto another person’s body and another environment - that’s fine.

Go figure.

Will you be seeing this movie? You seem quite negative towards it already. Which is fine, I'm just wondering, why bother as you seem to have made up your mind that is is going to be not-so-good.

I'm not expecting it to save the sequel trilogy for me, but I'm looking forward to see Carrie as Leia one last time, and of course to hear the score and have a good time at the cinema. That is all. If it's terrible, oh well, it's only a movie.

I’m more than willing to give the film a chance. I’m sure the Leia thing will be relatively minor in the grand scheme of things.

I just really don’t want Kylo Ren to be redeemed at all. I think it’ll be a pretty awful ending, although we’ve nothing to suggest that’s what the film’s going for.

1 minute ago, Chen G. said:

I’m more than willing to give the film a chance.

I just really don’t want Kylo Ren to be redeemed at all. I think it’ll be a pretty awful ending.

I don't really think he could be though, he killed Han. The fans will not forgive.

9 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Precisely.

Vader's "redemption" is also pretty dumb. He murdered countless lives either directly or by enabling the domination of the Empire and gets a free pass because he chucks some old raisin down a pit.

5 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Within the context of the first three films, we didn’t see Vader do half the evil things that Kylo Ren. Narratively, the worst he did was slay old Ben.

And that old guy who gave the map to Poe!

17 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Within the context of the first three films, we didn’t see Vader do half the evil things that Kylo Ren. Narratively, the worst he did was slay old Ben.

He also crunched a few people's neckbones on screen. Isn't it implied though that he did some pretty bad stuff? Does the fact that it happens off screen make a difference?

My point is that Vader's redemption was hardly earned. It's like the Force turned a blind eye to all the bad stuff he did.

3 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

He also crunched a few people's neckbones on screen. Isn't it implied though that he did some pretty bad stuff? Does the fact that it happens off screen make a difference?

According to Chen, narrative or something.

What I mean is that old Ben is the only character we learn to know and love that Vader dispatches on-screen. That pilot at the beginning of Star Wars is nobody as far as we’re concerned; which doesn’t make it okay that Vader kill him, of course, but it still isn’t the same as killing a beloved character.

Han’s death is ten times more villainous, not least because it’s patricide.