Star Wars IX The Rise of Skywalker (JJ Abrams 2019)

Jay

52 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Vader... gets a free pass because he chucks some old raisin down a pit.

Except that old raisin apparently lived or wasn't the real raisin in the first place, if we are meant to guess why the raisin is back. 

When are we going to see Baby Palpatine merchandise?

55 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

He also crunched a few people's neckbones on screen. Isn't it implied though that he did some pretty bad stuff?

He took Natalie Portman from me, which is a far more unforgivable crime than killing Han. 

On 11/30/2019 at 11:29 PM, Þekþiþm said:

Is there a spoiler thread? I just want to know how the story plays out in that leaked script.

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/30644-rise-of-skywalker-spoilers-allowed-discussion-thread/

You've posted in it.

And probably of those annoying rack-focus changes that the sequel trilogy has been plagued with thus far.

You're not supposed to do that so often (or so fast) if you shoot anamorphic!

From the brief quote in the article, it doesn't quite seem Adam Driver and I are talking about the same thing. But still, good to know, and more than a little bit reassuring.

27 minutes ago, toothless said:

It's funny I literally was just thinking about that yesterday when they released the TV spot with Kylo on that planet where the throne is. There was a ton of lightning flashing on the screen making it hard to see, and I though to myself this has got seizure risk written all over it.

Help! Can anyone explain to me, like I'm five years old, about the harmonic progression or chord structure in the "Forever" tv spot that runs from 0:07 to 0:13 (but acts as a conclusion to all the music you hear from 0:00)? I'm not overly fond of trailerized music, but that sequence gives me the f**king feels. It's pure musical candy. :D

2 hours ago, Bayesian said:

Help! Can anyone explain to me, like I'm five years old, about the harmonic progression or chord structure in the "Forever" tv spot that runs from 0:07 to 0:13 (but acts as a conclusion to all the music you hear from 0:00)? I'm not overly fond of trailerized music, but that sequence gives me the f**king feels. It's pure musical candy. :D

What you’re referring to is most likely the so called ‘deceptive cadence’, where the music goes from the dominant (V) to VI instead of the expected tonic (I).

6 hours ago, Remco said:

What you’re referring to is most likely the so called ‘deceptive cadence’, where the music goes from the dominant (V) to VI instead of the expected tonic (I).

Is it as simple as that? I'm obviously easily impressed, then. Thanks for the insight, Remco!

So I'll be seeing it on the morning of December 17th, but I launched a (too-ambitious) project as a warmup: I wanted to see all the films and TV series -- in story-chronological order -- before the screening in a week, to have all the canon references in place. Alas, that proved a task too big. THE PHANTOM MENACE, ATTACK OF THE CLONES and the CLONE WARS movie went fine; so did the (non-canon) 2003 animated series CLONE WARS. But then it was time for the 2008 animated series THE CLONE WARS, and now I'm kinda stuck. Never seen this before, and I had no idea it was THIS huge; 121 episodes and hours upon hours. I doubt I'll even get to REVENGE OF THE SITH in time, much less the subsequent things (SOLO, REBELS, ROGUE ONE, A NEW HOPE, EMPIRE STRIKE BACK, RETURN OF THE JEDI, MANDALORIAN [OK, I'm following this in realtime, so no 'refreshing' required], RESISTANCE, FORCE AWAKENS and THE LAST JEDI). I should have started this project WEEKS ago.

Indeed....

Some of the clone wars episodes are not chronological....there are some lists out there to watch in correct order. For example the film takes place somewhere in between season 1.

Yes, I haven't even bothered to check the internal chronology of the CLONE WARS project. I watched the film first, then the 2003 series (which -- except for the ending -- kinda fits as a prequel to the 2008 film and series), and then now on to the 2008 series. But these things are all very scatterbrained anyway, in their 'anthology' approach.

You could have skipped the 2003 series - it's not technically "canon" anymore!  (Although the animation is fun!)

Here's the official chronological order, if chronology matters to you.  It didn't matter to me - when I watched it, I watched it live on TV.

https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-the-clone-wars-chronological-episodeorder

Once they hit season 3, they landed on a (mostly) straightforward chronological order. 

Rebels, Resistance, and Mandalorian are straightforward chronological.

5 hours ago, Thor said:

Yes, I haven't even bothered to check the internal chronology of the CLONE WARS project. I watched the film first, then the 2003 series (which -- except for the ending -- kinda fits as a prequel to the 2008 film and series), and then now on to the 2008 series. But these things are all very scatterbrained anyway, in their 'anthology' approach.

No matter what, make sure you don't miss the final 4 episodes of S5 (E17,18,19,20). They are their own mini-story, and a basic knowledge of The Clone Wars + ROTS, and the OT should suffice, even if you failed to watch everything in-between. 

No.

The artist behind this poster is Rich Davies, who does an outstanding job of recreating Drew Struzan’s signature style on this poster.

The only problem is that this is a collaboration with the art group known as Poster Posse, and while it was endorsed by the official Star Wars social media team, it may not be released as a poster to collect.

https://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-poster-revenge-of-the-jedi/

Cool!

~~~

I'm at work so can't watch/listen but is this the first minute of the film?

11 minutes ago, Jay said:

Cool!

I'm at work so can't watch/listen but is this the first minute of the film?

It's not really a "clip" in a general sense, there's a lot of cuts and fades. Also the music isn't anything on the FYC, in fact it sounds like it could possibly be trailer music that was inserted into the scene. There's a pretty big revelation in the scene though. I'm surprised they showed that before the film comes out.

9 minutes ago, A Ghost From Highwood said:

gets dragon sickness and will be saved by Rey's kiss 

:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

Now that's fan fiction!

That’s some GoT season 8 stuff right there. 

6 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

It's not really a "clip" in a general sense, there's a lot of cuts and fades. Also the music isn't anything on the FYC, in fact it sounds like it could possibly be trailer music that was inserted into the scene. There's a pretty big revelation in the scene though. I'm surprised they showed that before the film comes out.

That basically means it is a red herring.

43 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

That basically means it is a red herring.

Doubt it. This obviously takes place in the first 15 minutes of the film and is shown to us to just get fans interested and have people talk about it. 

34 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

Shouldn't you post it in the spoilers thread then? 

No point in posting a movie clip in a spoiler free thread and then requesting to not discuss the content. 

Yeah, as someone who's avoided leaks and all that I'm not going to watch several minutes of the movie out of context all of a sudden.

1 minute ago, mrbellamy said:

He obviously means not to discuss anything outside of the clip. But there’s not much to say. 

Of course,  but if I've been avoiding spoilers and trying to go as fresh into the movie as possible aside from the music, why would I watch a several minute film clip?

Here's the thing with spoilers: Every single individual has their own personal definition of what's a spoiler and what isn't.

There's posters, teasers, trailer, clips, commercials, interviews, articles, publicity photos, merchandise photos, press releases, ads for other products that contain film footage, and on and on.  Every individual person might want to watch/see/read some of those things but not others.

For example, some people like watching trailers, but don't want to see any actual clips from the film.  The idea being the teasers and trailers shouldbe vague montages without concrete scenes, while clips are just straight up showing you something you're gonna want to see later.  While other people like watching clips, but avoid all trailers.  The idea being that a officially released clip with be some short section from probably early in the film, that will give you a general idea of how the film looks and such, but a trailer could have footage from near the end of the film, and also could essentially set up the plot structure and they want to discover that while watching.

So how does a forum structure itself for all these different people who have all of their own individual ideas of what they want to see?  The only solution is to keep it as simple as possible: If it's official released by Lucasfilm, it's not a spoiler.  If it's some nefarious info cropping up from leakers or something accidentally leaked early, its a spoiler.

That means any poster, magazine article, on-line interview, promotional stills, teasers, trailers, tv commercial, and yes official clip officially released can be posted in the spoiler-free thread.  But discussion of the leaks from people who posted the entire plot of the film online, are in the spoilers-allowed thread.  And every individual person can decide when they want to stop opening threads entirely and just see the film before returning to the discussion.

Simple as that.

10 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

Of course,  but if I've been avoiding spoilers and trying to go as fresh into the movie as possible aside from the music, why would I watch a several minute film clip?

They all die at the end. That’s how it ends.