Star Wars IX The Rise of Skywalker (JJ Abrams 2019)

Jay

Undoubtedly. Everybody assumed that’s what it would be.

I’m happy with how the OT cast have been used, Star Wars 7 was a tough writing gig and JJ turned in a rousing flick all things considered. Of all people I believe him when he claims he couldn’t work that out tastefully...you know he wanted it. 

I wouldn’t be that surprised if he’s currently Frankensteining some sort of flashback scene with the old Carrie footage and a secret Harrison cameo.

If I had to bet money on anything happening in IX, it's a scene towards the end with Luke, Leia and Han all reunited, becoming 'one with the force' and walking into the light. I wouldn't be shocked if that was factored into Harrison's TFA contract (along with the gigantic percentage fee he received).

I think JJ should aim for something like the ending of Hocus Pocus (I know, laugh it up fuzzballs). But seeing the main 3 all reunited in death and walking into the Force-equivalent of the gates of heaven would be poignant, utterly heartbreaking, and give closure to these characters in an optimistic way. All while our new characters look on fondly, grateful for their guidance and ready to forge their own adventures. Queue a swelling John Williams cue (the obligatory Force Theme rendition, this time massive with a full choral backing) and roll credits.

I know, but who cares! If Leia's going to die (and I assume she will off-screen in the obligatory space battle), Luke will probably turn up towards the end once Rey defeats Ren and decide to leave. It's an obvious way to mirror the end of ROTJ, but with Luke, Leia and Han instead of Anakin, Yoda and Obi-Wan.

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

Flashbacks were a major device in TLJ

There were three flashbacks (two, and a repitition of the one through the eyes of another unreliable narrator) over the course of a two-and-a-half-hour film.

Some major device, this...

For the record, The Force Awakens, too, had but one flashback/flashforward sequence. Revenge of the Sith had a brief flashforward. Rogue One had one, and that's it.

Its a series with a very simple aesthetic with regards to storytelling.

It’s just to say that door’s already been opened.

TLJ’s flashbacks took up relatively little screen time but had major plot implications. It’s not like ROS is gonna be Forrest Gump but even another “Forceback” that included a fleeting couple seconds of them together post-ROTJ would probably be appropriately jolting.

1 hour ago, Chen G. said:

It has one brief flash-forward to Padme dying.

Nope, it's definitely twice.  Once towards the beginning to establish Anakin's concerns about Padme dying in childbirth, then again mid-way through the film to establish dissent between Anakin and Obi-Wan (a remnant of a deleted subplot in which Palpatine attempted to convince Anakin that Obi-Wan and Padme were secretly intimate with each other and he could trust neither).

Right, two. So two flash-forwards in six movies, and a total of three flash-forwards and four flashbacks in eight.

Its not a very Star Wars-y device.

38 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Right, two. So two flash-forwards in six movies, and a total of three flash-forwards and four flashbacks in eight.

Its not a very Star Wars-y device.

Disney will have taken a page out of Marvel's book, and will go full BTTF 2 on this new Star Wars film! Everything that doesnt add up to the canon will be set right in the final glorious chapter of this epic saga!

Mattris will be so pleased!

On 4/28/2019 at 5:38 AM, Holko said:

Han had nothing to do with the Force, though.

Are you sure. 

23 hours ago, Arpy said:

I hope they have a flashback to young Anakin dropping to avoid Darth Maul's speeder bike just before Rey does a flip over Kylo's ship. That's how she knows.

They should reference the prequel  trash as little as possible. Truely terrible movie making.

So now it seems Avengers 4 is unbeatable at the box office. Can Episode 9 pull off a miracle at overtaking it or have too many people distanced themselves from it to even approach Avengers numbers?

10 hours ago, The Original said:

So now it seems Avengers 4 is unbeatable at the box office. Can Episode 9 pull off a miracle at overtaking it or have too many people distanced themselves from it to even approach Avengers numbers?

There's no way Episode IX will hit Avengers numbers.  Avengers had the benefit of creating a massive cliffhanger in the previous movie, incentivizing people to see it A) in theaters and B) as soon as possible.

https://www.starwars.com/news/journey-to-star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-publishing-program

publishing leading to the release of IX will fill in the period between movies.  Bunch of new books and comics announced today.  Still don’t care for the movie title! May the fart be with you.