Star Wars IX The Rise of Skywalker (JJ Abrams 2019)

Jay

Were your sessions crowded?

Mine was, and wasn't the only one, the mall was crowded with people waiting the next sessions - a lot of them with Star Wars shirts. Also, a lot of people are talking about wanting to see the movie, including people who don't go to theaters very often. My co-workers, for example, are not cinephiles, and probably don't know the difference about Original Trilogy, Prequel Trilogy and Sequel Trilogy, why Rey and Finn weren't on Rogue One or what is a Sith or a Jedi, but they want to see it anyway. For them, it looks like a fun space adventure movie with special effects.

So yeah, I think it's going to do just fine (i.e.: lots and lots of money) at the BO.

Oh, its going to make lots of money, that was always a given.

I don't even care for Rotten Tomatoe scores. Its just that its a steep drop from the previous two films in that regard.

16 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Were your sessions crowded?

Mine was, and wasn't the only one, the mall was crowded with people waiting the next sessions - a lot of them with Star Wars shirts. Also, a lot of people are talking about wanting to see the movie, including people who don't go to theaters very often. My co-workers, for example, are not cinephiles, and probably don't know the difference about Original Trilogy, Prequel Trilogy and Sequel Trilogy, why Rey and Finn weren't on Rogue One or what is a Sith or a Jedi, but they want to see it anyway. For them, it looks like a fun space adventure movie with special effects.

So yeah, I think it's going to do just fine (i.e.: lots and lots of money) at the BO.

My theater was half full... first showing in IMAX 3D.  But they screwed up and played the 2D verison of the movie instead of the 3D verison so everyone got a free ticket as we were leaving.  They also turned on the theater lights a few minutes before the end credits started.

My guess is production difficulties were a big factor. The original writer/director was sacked, Carrie Fisher, who was probably gonna play a big role in the film died, and they had to completely rewrite the film. 

They probably should have delayed it for a year. 

Carrie Fisher died almost two years before they started shooting this one. They had plenty of time to address that.

But I agree, the movie should've been delayed (and probably had brought a much better writer than Terrio to help ou)

I agree with @Jay's thoughts. Saw this last night - some good segments but the conflict wasn't set up very well, everything happened too fast, and the dark side scenes (e.g. at the very beginning) were boring and didn't seem to move the story along that much. I enjoyed all the parts where the entire crew and/or the Resistance was together on a journey, but the final battle, for example, wasn't great. 

38 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

You did not stay for the Williams end credits music?

Ban him!

I stayed for the end credits but my mind had checked out of the movie by the time the credits rolled.

28 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

My guess is production difficulties were a big factor. The original writer/director was sacked, Carrie Fisher, who was probably gonna play a big role in the film died, and they had to completely rewrite the film. 

Would you also say that the filmmakers desire to produce a genuine conclusion to the entire saga was too much for the film's plot to handle?

That was my biggest fear for this movie.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

The score, however, is a masterpiece. John Williams knocked it out of the park.  If for nothing else, if you are a fan of John Williams, you need to go out to the cinema and experience this grand score of him on the big screen.  Sitting in the theater listening to his go through the biggest themes as the end credits rolled on what is probably his final Star Wars score was a sublime and reflective experience.

Halfway through the movie, I decided I would stop caring about the crappy story and shitty screenplay and just listen to Williams' score. It was a fun way to experience his music on the IMAX's loud speakers, while the screen projected some images of space, aliens, spaceships, explosions, stuff like that.

1 hour ago, Chen G. said:

Would you also say that the filmmakers desire to produce a genuine conclusion to the entire saga was too much for the film's plot to handle?

That was my biggest fear for this movie.

You shouldn't have insisted on finality then!

;)

1 hour ago, Balahkay said:

I stayed for the end credits but my mind had checked out of the movie by the time the credits rolled.

You were one with the force. The force of boredom.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

They probably should have delayed it for a year. 

Yeah, it's a mystery why they didn't delay this one and Solo. It's not like Disney couldn't have afforded it! Well, it's not really a mystery. It's clear that money is so much more important than art in these cases - I guess Disney have set themselves a goal to get back what they paid to Lucas as quickly as possible.

Indeed. This guy co-wrote the similarly shitty Batman v Superman and Justice League. Any sane minded executive studio would keep him as far from blockbusters as possible... On the other hand, Akiva Goldsman still received jobs after writing Batman and Robin. Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzmann only have crap on their resumees (various Transformers, Amazing Spider-Man 2, Ender's Game, the 2017 Mummy movie with Tom Cruise), and still get to work on major franchises and TV shows.

To be fair to Terrio, all of his disasters he co-wrote with someone (BvS with David Goyer, JL with Whedon and TROS with Abrams). The only movie he wrote by himself, Argo, granted him the Academy Award for Best Adapted Screenplay. So, maybe, just leave the guy alone?

Terrio would've been solo for the original cut of JL, but even then Whedon contributed separately from him in the theatrical cut. So it's more a mess from having to mesh two different sets of material.

I should also say that Goldsman did win an Oscar for a film (A Beautiful Mind), so either these guys rarely get to flex their writing skills, or the awards are simply just crappy at their choices.

12 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Indeed. This guy co-wrote the similarly shitty Batman v Superman and Justice League. Any sane minded executive studio would keep him as far from blockbusters as possible... On the other hand, Akiva Goldsman still received jobs after writing Batman and Robin. Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzmann only have crap on their resumees (various Transformers, Amazing Spider-Man 2, Ender's Game, the 2017 Mummy movie with Tom Cruise), and still get to work on major franchises and TV shows.

To be fair to Terrio, all of his disasters he co-wrote with someone (BvS with David Goyer, JL with Whedon and TROS with Abrams). The only movie he wrote by himself, Argo, granted him the Academy Award for Best Adapted Screenplay. So, maybe, just leave the guy alone?

How about this - I think Argo's screenplay is garbage.

The man has only written trash - whether it won an oscar or not.

19 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Movie is still at 58% "Rotten" (average rating 6.2). Damn!

That's gotta hurt.

Actually, this score on that site piques my interest in the film a bit. Mixed reviews are so much more reliable than resoundingly positive ones (which are rarely useful at all), I've found. The amount of 50-70% RT movies I've watched and thoroughly enjoyed is quite surprising, or it used to be. That's why I generally take no notice of aggregate sites.

I might take my lad to see this over Xmas.

Again, I couldn’t give a sh*t for Rotten Tomato scores (I mean, Braveheart at 77%?! as if!). I’m just looking at it as the film failing to meet the standards of its own predecessors.

Yeah, but let the producers and people who hold onto the word of every RT result out there (Alexcremers) worry about that.

55 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

How about this - I think Argo's screenplay is garbage.

I thought the script was very good. But perhaps snappy, sharp yet well measured dialogue isn't for everyone. I bought the movie after seeing it, impressed that I was with it. I mean, there aren't that many light-hearted political movies out there.

25 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Yeah, but let the producers and people who hold onto the word of every RT result out there (Alexcremers) worry about that.

I thought the script was very good. But perhaps snappy, sharp yet well measured dialogue isn't for everyone. I bought the movie after seeing it, impressed that I was with it. I mean, there aren't that many light-hearted political movies out there.

I found it incredibly corny and "hollywood" - a totally ridiculous movie.

3 hours ago, Quintus said:

Argo was great! I think perhaps Terrio's problems lie within these huge franchise films where multiple story threads are being juggled left, right and centre. 

The film has its bright spots, for sure. Can't say that on the whole its any good, though.

But I still think its worthwhile to point out its successes, so by all means...