Star Wars IX The Rise of Skywalker (JJ Abrams 2019)

Jay

41 minutes ago, John said:

I just keep seeing people giving The Last Jedi crap because they think running out of fuel has NEVER been a problem in Star Wars before, when the opposite is true.

I'm sure it was used as a plot device elsewhere in the series, as well. Although, to be fair, there's a difference between using it at one junction of the plot and using it as the premise on which one of the film's three subplots hinge.

A tad too sci-fi, for me, is all.

13 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

I'm sure it was used as a plot device elsewhere in the series, as well. Although, to be fair, there's a difference between using it at one junction of the plot and using it as the premise on which one of the film's three subplots hinge.

A tad too sci-fi, for me.

What did you expect? It's a science fiction movie.

Its not.

Its a FANTASY series, in a sci-fi setting.

Case in point, the plot of the original Star Wars: "a young farmer, a wizard, gilded tinman and dwarf - joined by a walking lion and a pirate, whom they meet at the tavern - go on a quest to save the warrior princess from the fortress of the evil sorcerer."

Another case in point: the concept of The Force - introduced ostensibly as magic. Once George Lucas got around to explaining it in science fiction terms - people lost their damn minds.

5 hours ago, John said:

Also, the Resistance's fuel situation isn't the first time being low on fuel has been used as a plot device in a Star Wars movie. In The Phantom Menace, Padme's cruiser doesn't have enough power to get to Coruscant, so Qui-Gon said they needed to make a stop on Tatooine to refuel and get supplies. 

If you want to get technical, they had to fix the hyperdrive, not get fuel. 

I could be wrong because that movie sucks so I haven't seen it in 15 years. 

1 hour ago, Demodex said:

If you want to get technical, they had to fix the hyperdrive, not get fuel. 

I could be wrong because that movie sucks so I haven't seen it in 15 years. 

No, you're right. 

A lot of the people involved in Star Wars don't consider it sci-fi, in the same way Ray Bradbury didn't consider the majority of his stories as sci-fi. 

Because it truly isn’t science fiction, at its core. Science Fiction, being the setting, is of course vital to this series: It’s certainly not a traditional fantasy, but it’s fantasy nonetheless.

An action-adventure fantasy set in a science fiction setting. That’s Star Wars in a nutshell for you.

Science fiction is not just the presence of cool spaceships, it usually deals with imaginary future technologies and explores how they will change human life, human nature and societies, for better or worse. It can be soft or hard scifi depending on how heavy it is on the technobabble which explains the "science" part.

I don't think Star Wars ever really does that. It's classic fantasy opera in a space, science fiction-like setting.

Star Trek on the other hand is classic utopistic sci-fi.

Welcome to my world every time the Solo or Fallen Kingdom threads were updated before the scores/movies came out.

"Oh boy, maybe someone found sound samples? Interview of interest? A clip? Anyt-...oh, it's another THIS SCORE'S GONNA SUCK HE SHOULD JUST GIVE UP AND KILL HIMSELF IMMEDIATELY TO TRULY HONOR JOHN WILLIAMS' LEGACY post. Darn."

• 2 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, someonefun124 said:

I'm assuming the list of IX cast additions is incomplete since Keri Russell was reportedly confirmed to have a role in the film.

Variety updated their article

Variety previously reported that Keri Russell was in talks to join the cast for “Episode IX.” Sources confirmed on Friday that Russell has just closed her deal to join the film.

And going off the press release I guess that would also indicate that John Williams is already officially signed :)

I don't give a bantha crap about Rey's parents anymore. Develop her character, that's what needs to happen!

Leia is back in unreleased footage? Maybe a good call. Will her character live on then? Better than a CG Leia or actor replacement, possibly even better than no Leia. Let's hope it works.

Lando's back confirmed. Good.

Mark Hamill back in it? Force ghost or real person? We don't know. Would making him return in the flesh ruin the events of VIII as opposed to fixing them. Yes, we're sad he died but he died and that's that. Leia and Rey felt it. We saw it. The binary suns appeared and the music soared. I'm thinking simple Force Ghost to get right with Rey, perhaps Leia, and to troll Kylo.

Richard E. Grant could be like the DJ or Holdo of IX- the disposable other character, maybe some connection to Lando.

Unsure about Akie.

13 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Had a feeling they'd use unused footage to bring back Leia. Gets around their pledge not to CGI her, because they can just create a CGI body and use real footage of her facial performance.

I stand by my Hocus Pocus ending theory, with Luke and Leia 

Lukus Pucus

Holdos Poecus

Yeah, Williams said he's going to do it. I swear these shitty clickbait articles do the bare minimum in research.

IMG_20180728_131558_216.jpg

49 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I just hope the ending allows a non-Force Theme ending for a change. Let Williams go to town on Rey's Theme in celebratory mode!

Exact same thought I had! If Kylo is redeemed, I would also love some triumphant major versions of his theme intertwined with Rey's theme!

I'm glad Kelly Marie Tran is back. The racist fans hounding her on social media like Daisy Ridley made me sick.

Maybe we can get some proper Rose/Finn character development. 

44 minutes ago, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

Oh look. Another glorious Star Wars thread. Makes me sick!

You're getting an enjoyable Williams autopilot SW score, enjoy it while you can.

I need to remember to ignore this thread from hereon until the movie comes out as until then, every single post is going to be "I wonder if this will happen", "Maybe this will happen", "Will the score use the Force theme?", etc. 

1 minute ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

Australian accents sound weird in SW. But that's my classic Aussie cultural cringe talking I s'pose.

Jango sounds alright. Someone's gotta sound like an alien!