Star Wars IX The Rise of Skywalker (JJ Abrams 2019)

Jay

40 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

I think for most people the appeal of a television series being adapted into a movie is the opportunity to see the characters and settings tell a story larger in scop

Sounds about right.

Although - like so many things - scale is a matter of taste: some people just love it when things are writ large. Others are oblivious to it.

I've been making my way through TNG again - some episodes I never saw the first time so it's always a treat! I would say though, that there is a certain tone and feeling that the series continues to hold that for whatever reason (Generations aside) the films just couldn't capture in the same way - and perhaps that's just an inherent characteristic of television over film? Or at least for Star Trek, that television as a medium is more accommodating for the stories that are being told? 

6 hours ago, Pellaeon said:

Are there any Star Trek fans who are into it mainly for the movies?

That would be me. My first exposure to Trek was via TMP. Seeing that on the big screen in '79 was mind-blowing. I got the Enterprise and Spock's shuttle toys and some of the TMP action figures. I only got to see some of the series on TV later.

On 9/10/2019 at 7:50 PM, Not Mr. Big said:

First Contact > every other Star Trek movie

Yeah, if your idea of Star Trek is an awkward Aliens ripoff where the crew fights space zombies.

The Borg were totally ruined by this overrated movie. :(

Yavar

21 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Yeah, if your idea of Star Trek is an awkward Aliens ripoff where the crew fights space zombies.

Wait, they made an awesome Star Trek movie?  Why wasn't I informed about this, who's in charge?

5 minutes ago, mstrox said:

daring do

I'm not usually one to correct trivial things, but this is such a weird word I thought I would.  It's actually "derring-do."  Isn't that weird???  I have no idea the etymology of that, but it's definitely one of those words where if you've only ever heard it you'd understandably think it should be daring-do.

image.png

I have OED access through work, so I looked it up.  It does mean "daring" but it's purposefully using Middle English as a "pseudo-archaism" (OED's phrase) in a humorous way.  That's why it's usually meant to emphasize a kind of old-fashioned heroism like Robin Hood and Ivanhoe or whatever.

literally daring to do, which, by a chain of misunderstandings and errors, have come to be treated as a kind of substantive combination, taken to mean, Daring action or feats, ‘desperate courage’.

Modern romantic writers, led by Sir Walter Scott, have taken it from Spenser, printed it derring-do, and accentuated the erroneous use.

On 9/12/2019 at 11:32 PM, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

PSX_20190912_213138.jpg

As you can see, it's right at the top of the list.

Actually it’s number 6th on the list.

On 9/12/2019 at 11:47 AM, Yavar Moradi said:

The Borg were totally ruined by this overrated movie. :(

Yavar

Its the only really good Next Gen film.

Just now, Thekthithm said:

What is?

TMP. 

3 minutes ago, Mr. Manfrenjensenden said:

Its the only really good Next Gen film.

Depends on who you ask. Watch the Red Letter Media reviews on the TNG films and they do a great job of pointing out why they all suck, except for Generations (this was their first Plinkett review ever and I don’t think they’d quite figured out their approach... three quarters of their complaints about it are more what I’d call “humorous nitpicking” but when they get to FC next it’s almost all substantive critique, albeit still communicated via humor).

For me,

All Good Things... — could’ve been the theatrical film itself, it was so good and the perfect finish to TNG as a series

Generations — okay but a far step down from AGT. But that’s it’s main problem, as it’s suffering in comparison to its excellent predecessor. Similarly to Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, another script pass or two would have gone a long way, here. But also like The Final Frontier, there are really very good Star Trek ideas included as well, among the dumb and poorly-executed stuff. It still feels like we are watching The Next Generation, albeit not a great episode.

First Contact — a bigger budget, splashy special effects, and very good score with Goldsmith returning to the franchise made a lot of people consider this a step up from Generations. Oh, and sticking the fan-favorite The Borg in the movie. But if you actually care about the Borg as a chilling concept in TNG, they are truly ruined by this film and the stupid Queen, although Alice Kridge certainly relishes her role and hams it up entertainingly. The script is far from good and the two stories (the Bog half and the First Contact half) don’t gel well together. The characters start to behave downright OFF in this film, and many don’t feel remotely consistent with their portrayal in the series. The ending with Jerry’s music is the most powerful part so at least it ends strong, but in between we have a distinctly non-Trek feeling space zombies Aliens rip-off. I really really hate most of this movie.

Insurrection — this one is just generally lame, not offensive. It’s faults lie more in execution, but I do respect it for being literally the ONLY Trek movie where Earth doesn’t appear — it’s actually “out there”. But there’s a lot of cringe inducing stuff (Riker’s joystick?) in this and again the characters feel off. It feels lower budget and more rushed than First Contact, but it also feels more like Star Trek and it offends me less...even though the plot is still ridiculous and contradicts the show!

Nemesis — this is an absolutely miserable experience in every way and not a single character acts normal; I don’t recognize them as the same characters from the show, which is seemingly completely forgotten about (Lore? Worf doesn’t hate Romulans? And don’t get me started on Picard in this...it makes his portrayal in First Contact look in-character, in comparison.) This was my most hated Trek film until Into Darkness found a way to offend and piss me off even more.

Yavar

I don't mean "out-of-place" in that its not funny, although one's mileage may vary.

I mean out-of-place in that its unlike the rest of the series, which is why some found it odd.

In a film series, you do come to expect some degree of a unified style.