Star Wars IX The Rise of Skywalker (JJ Abrams 2019)

Jay

Yeah, I'm not going to say Nathan's character or his dialogue are great, but the story and adventure, and the settings (especially in A Thief's End) are beautiful.

35 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Gah why'd they have to go with that weird arsed inflection shit. It would have been a solid line!

Of all the faults in KotCS, that's probably the worst. He said it so much better in the trailer.

14 hours ago, Quintus said:

In the trailer it made Koepp's dialogue seem on point.

It sure did. Koepp unfortunately turned a big boring pile of crap in to the bearded ones. Even Lucas's clunky writing would have been better.

3 hours ago, Tom said:

this has a bit of new footage.  No new Williams music, though a nice placement of Leia's theme toward the end.

Where's the new footage? Thankfully I didn't waste 5 minutes of my life watching this and just skimmed it.

I don't understand this Luddite attitude, especially from JWfaners.

The film has six weeks to go, before release, and already it's condemned?

We've seen a total four minutes of film, from a total of 145 minutes (not including titles). How can we possibly know what to expect, or what's going to happen? Yes, we can speculate, and make predictions, and debate, until we're all green in the face, but I'll reserve judgement until I see it.

3 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Even if the film is a pile of trash (which I don't think it will be), so what?

I’m all for giving any film it’s fair due. But there are lots of films where the marketing rubs one the wrong way to the point of lacking optimism regarding the movie. It sometimes feels like we’re giving these particular movies more of a benefit of the doubt then to others.

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I don't understand this Luddite attitude, especially from JWfaners.

The film has six weeks to go, before release, and already it's condemned?

We've seen a total four minutes of film, from a total of 145 minutes (not including titles). How can we possibly know what to expect, or what's going to happen? Yes, we can speculate, and make predictions, and debate, until we're all green in the face, but I'll reserve judgement until I see it.

You can just tell from that leak gif that the whole movie is shit and that Star Wars isn't cinema.

56 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Supposed leak. Looks incredibly fake and silly.

d92cb83ef8e435d7b314bdfb4bf13fa4.jpg

It might be false, it might be true, but nothing has been proved.

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

You can just tell from that leak gif that the whole movie is shit and that Star Wars isn't cinema.

:lol:...er...I think...:unsure:

From the trailers, I gather that there will be laser sword fights, which should be pretty neat!  I don’t think it’s been confirmed yet whether there will be space ships, but it stands to reason.  If so, that will be the cherry on top! 

2 hours ago, Arpy said:

There is a good deal of evidence to suggest this is real (for better or for worse).  I would recommend hiding any such leaks under spoiler tags.  

This feels like a standalone spinoff movie, doesn’t it? Darth Vader’s gone. Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, and Princess Leia are gone. Their OT sidekicks Chewbacca, Artoo-Detoo, and See-Threepio are still hanging around, but it’s kind of just sad when you see them. So many of the stakes/goalposts in TFA/TLJ have been wrapped up or abandoned, that those movies increasingly look like a duology (ending on a note similar to the PT).

4 minutes ago, Pellaeon said:

This feels like a standalone spinoff movie, doesn’t it? Darth Vader’s gone. Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, and Princess Leia are gone. Their OT sidekicks Chewbacca, Artoo-Detoo, and See-Threepio are still hanging around, but it’s kind of just sad when you see them. So many of the stakes/goalposts in TFA/TLJ have been wrapped up or abandoned, that those movies increasingly look like a duology (ending on a note similar to the PT).

Based on the leaked spoilers, three of your gone characters play major roles in the film and that photo is not a fake. 

Actually, reading all the spoilers has improved my optimism for the film. 

The most important legacy from TLJ will be that, somehow, Jedi can exert the Will of the Force on other living beings from across the galaxy, and also if they are dead. That contradicts Obi-Wan when he tells Luke on Dagobah that he cannot interfere when he goes to Bespin. 

Can we enforce some spoiler rules here please @Jay? I’m not interested in reading about the leaks or seeing stills that haven’t been officially released, but if that’s not going to happen I’ll just avoid all of the TROS threads for now.

Why is everyone getting so worked up over that image? It's Palpatine using his force lightning, which we know he's used plenty of times before. Absolutely nothing in that image is a spoiler.

11 hours ago, Arpy said:

This looks like a video game death scene.

10 hours ago, mstrox said:

From the trailers, I gather that there will be laser sword fights, which should be pretty neat!  I don’t think it’s been confirmed yet whether there will be space ships, but it stands to reason.  If so, that will be the cherry on top! 

You think so?

8 hours ago, Docteur Qui said:

Can we enforce some spoiler rules here please @Jay? I’m not interested in reading about the leaks or seeing stills that haven’t been officially released, but if that’s not going to happen I’ll just avoid all of the TROS threads for now.

:wave:

4 hours ago, Bayesian said:

Why is everyone getting so worked up over that image? It's Palpatine using his force lightning, which we know he's used plenty of times before. Absolutely nothing in that image is a spoiler.

It is a leak.  Regardless of how you define spoiler, the default for the thread should be officially released stuff or spoiler tag. 

I have reason to believe it's fake. The group of images I found it in were highly suspect - Palpatine seemed to be a straight-up Photoshop from a shot in Revenge of the Sith, same costume, same pose, as did Rey coming from a shot of her in the trailer. The source is also suspect - it was some random guy on Instagram who even acknowledged it looked fake.

Even if the image above turns out to be real, it still doesn't tell you anything about the film, how Rey is there, why Palpatine is shooting lightning at the ceiling etc. 

For those of you who obviously shat your pants at such an innocuous image, could you please explain how it's spoiling things for you - and how you've discerned some plot details we mere mortals couldn't have...