Star Wars IX The Rise of Skywalker (JJ Abrams 2019)

Jay

She is afraid that something will go wrong and she will be the new George Lucas of this generation, but this is inevitable. In the future we will have several memes like those with her photography.

I find it hilarious that the Marvel movies might end up having more innovative impulses within them than Star Wars (although arguably they need them more to maintain themselves relevant than Star Wars).

There are people I would like to see do a Star Wars, like Gore Verbinski and Mathew Reeves. I can't think on women for it right now (granted there's a traditional ceiling there, but I haven't done homework on that area either)

32 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

You would refuse this awesome director? You're an idiot, and a fool, and I don't like you.

Bilbo Skywalker is better than everything. 

Patty Jenkins, jeez, a competent DC movie under her belt and suddenly it's "let's just give her all the big properties". This way of thinking is exactly the reason of why we're in this predicament, Disney/LFL trusted Trevorrow probably because of a solid relationship built during the time spent with him directing the competent Jurassic World and then the time came to pull a Star Wars film out of his hat and it's "Creative differences" again...

Props to Gareth Edwards then who probably had to give so much leeway with the reshoots that Disney didn't just fire him like Lord/Miller and now the ill-fated Trevorrow...

Trevorrow was the only director I was dubious of, but Lord/Miller have put out some well-produced comedies that I've admired in recent years. I don't think they were 'Star Wars' material, but I was hoping if they were given some creative decisions that it could've given us something to spice up this franchise.

14 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Patty Jenkins, jeez, a competent DC movie under her belt and suddenly it's "let's just give her all the big properties". This way of thinking is exactly the reason of why we're in this predicament, Disney/LFL trusted Trevorrow probably because of a solid relationship built during the time spent with him directing the competent Jurassic World and then the time came to pull a Star Wars film out of his hat and it's "Creative differences" again...

So to be able to direct a Star wars you must have done more than 10 films with studio interfering in each of them and you must have managed to make great films anyway ? :P Having film makers get fired before shooting begins for creative differences isn't that bad. At least they try to make something new or different or try to bring fresh ideas to the table. It does not mean and older or more accomplished director can't do this. But with this kind of thinking, all blockbusters would be handled by the 5 same directors… I get what you're saying. Making one cool film does not make anyone competent for directing 291203 blockbusters after that. But I'm glad disney is still hiring if not new at least different ones. If a director vision does not match the studio vision, then that's OK. It doesn't always mean everything was wrong and the relationship was bad and so on. At least that's how I see things. :)

My contention is that choosing these indie directors to handle these more traditional big-time blockbusters is too risky, and clearly it has been at the centre of the strife between the directors and the studios.

By all means hire some new talent, but it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone if their creative vision is going to differ from that of the studios. Kennedy et al, aren't going to give any ground and this has meant major reshuffling and major money being thrown around to fix their misplaced ventures.

On Patty Jenkins, she wouldn't strike me as someone who comes to mind when I think of who should tackle a Star Wars film. Yet I get the feeling that putting her down and out for the task will come off here as not giving opportunities to female directors. Wonder Woman was a good film, yet it doesn't inspire much confidence in me to think that if LFL/Disney were to give her a chance that it would produce a film that was anything more than the quality of work she's produced before...

Well, I don't think Trevorrow was especially competent as a storyteller.  At least Johnson showed some spark of having a different perspective.  Trevorrow just shat out a crappy indie and then won the lottery basically.

25 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

It seems people are afraid to admit Wonder Woman was a rather average movie, much like other superhero movies, because they think if they do that, they'll be accused of being misogynists. You shouldn't be afraid of that, people: just be honest, with yourself and with others.

I thought wonder woman was a great film regardless of who directed it :) I would not have been afraid of saying it was awfull if it was.
That being said, I'm happy the film was directed by a woman and I hope this will make things move in the right direction. On a more general note, I still don't think it is normal to be "happy" a woman directed a blockbuster, this should just be… normal :). But we have to have some parity (and for exemple we must highlight movies directed by woman) to catch up with decades of sexism. I just hope that in the near futur the world won't be relying on parity but more on equality. Getting back to films : It's not "we need 50% male director and 50% female director" but "we need the best director" regardless of its genre.

12 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Perhaps they'll go with Cuaron?  That might complicate the situation with Williams though, given the allegedly "exhausting" experience working on PoA (to be fair, it's probably safe to say that he won't be handed the wrong workprint to score this time)

Not to derail this surprising turn of events, but what's this about a wrong workprint given to JW?

JW wrote much of the Azkaban score to the "wrong" cut of the movie and had to recompose hurriedly when it became apparent.  That's the one sentence version, I'm sure others might have some more detailed info.  It hardly seems like the director's fault on a huge production like that.

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

It seems people are afraid to admit Wonder Woman was a rather average movie, much like other superhero movies, because they think if they do that, they'll be accused of being misogynists. You shouldn't be afraid of that, people: just be honest, with yourself and with others.

Wonder Woman is mediocre and I have no reason to believe Jenkins' sensibilities would align with Star Wars. If we want women, there has to be a wide variety of possible women with different styles, strengths, interests...

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

I don't think we can underestimate the advantage JJ and Rian have simply by being familiar with the cast, crew and workings of Lucasfilm. It would allow them to hit the ground running rather than needing a few weeks to become settled into the company.

I'd say they're both in the box seat and would need to turn it down before they start asking other directors.

Deadline says that Rian is the frontrunner but nothing's set yet. I assume that since Trevorrow's departure was in the works since late July, Kennedy has been probably love-bombing Rian for a while. 

They also wouldn't make the decision to dump Trev without having a replacement lined up. I don't believe for a second that Ron Howard hadn't been in discussions for weeks on the Han Solo film; directors can't just drop everything and miraculously open their schedules with a day's notice.

What works in our favour is that everyone, seemingly, loved working with Rian. I'll be very interested to hear what JW has to say on his working relationship with him compared to JJ.

I believe TLJ is essentially finished and Rian has little else on his plate. If they push back IX until December 2019, that gives him 27 months to make it, so that's easily 6 months to come up with a script he's happy with. Depends how much they decide to jettison of the Trevorrow script (for the sake of a clean breakup, I'd guess all of it).

41 minutes ago, Sally Spectra said:

Women don't even like Star Wars! They think it's too nerdy!

It used to be that way. Star Wars fandom has become so widespread that almost everyone apparently loves it now and they even wear geek chic Star Wars clothes. That's right, it's not just for children and weirdos over the age of 18 who collect hundreds of little dolls and play video games now. Oddly, none of these people pronounce 'Falcon' like they did in the movies, which makes me question whether or not they've even seen all the movies.

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I like Rian Johnson's previous work, but let's not forget that none of us have seen The Last Jedi yet!  There seems to be a lot presupposition about that movie!

That it will be mediocre like The Force Awakens? And that they had a lot of fun making it. And that it'll make money.

I can't say anything about Rian Johnson doing it b/c I haven't seen his Star Wars yet.  

I definitely know I don't want JJ, and I'd prefer to see someone new doing that film. I liked the idea of three different directors doing these three movies. Having Johnson doing the second two would feel "lopsided" artistically, IMO.

I'd be fine with Ron Howard I guess. He's already in the machine, competent, used to big budget pics, works well within the studio system, gets things done on time and within budget, and as the king of mediocre directors is almost completely devoid of style. Exactly what Lucasfilm wants.

2 minutes ago, Brónach said:

That it will be mediocre like The Force Awakens? And that they had a lot of fun making it. And that it'll make money.

Yes but you see, The Force Awakens wasn't mediocre so you're starting off on bad footing there.  I think you'll find that The Force Awakens was a good movie.  There we go, much better.

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

But not as good as Bridge Of Spies! Few things are, though, I know.

The first part is correct, if such films can be compared.  I dunno about the second.  Aren't I allowed to just like things?

Anthony Scaramucci? He's been a director before. And he's used to being fired, so won't take it too badly.

4 hours ago, Incanus said:

She obviously wants safe been-there-done-that type of SW films and anything beyond the formula is probably too much for her to stomach.

I think centering 2 ginormous Star Wars films around female protagonists was pretty radical to start with. But tis true she deals with a heavy hand, she has her eye on the bottom line and will not rest unless the movie she is delivering is a four quartdant monster hit.

2 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

I definitely know I don't want JJ, and I'd prefer to see someone new doing that film. I liked the idea of three different directors doing these three movies. Having Johnson doing the second two would feel "lopsided" artistically, IMO.

Planet of the Apes just did that and nobody seems to care.